Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Somebody is going to write a really interesting book about this Washington rebrand in about 10-20 years once there's some distance.

Chapter 1 will be about the name controversy, chapter 2 will be about when the decision was made to change the name, chapter 3 will tell the story of the WFT era, chapters 4-10 will be a detailed analysis of the Browns move to Baltimore and the ramifications of the "Cleveland Deal", chapter 11 will be about the Titans 1999 rebrand, and chapter 12 will be about the Catalonian independence movement.

• Like 34

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not that anyone was every holding any value into anything I ever post. But I hold my own receipts. 

I was under the belief that the WFT would not change their name until the team was sold and then a new owner would then change the name.  I thought this due to it giving the new owner the ability to name the team what they wanted it to be and thought this would increase a potential sale price. 

But yeah. I was WRONG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

...as a temporary identity

It still happened. And it makes it very complicated to re-arrange the record books for Houston. The Browns, for all the bs involved in that revisionist history, never played a down as the Baltimore Browns. Making it easier to say "the Browns stayed in Cleveland." 

The Oilers played in Tennessee as the Tennessee Oilers and wore Oilers throwbacks as the Titans. There's no Cleveland Deal to be had here. The team that owns the Oilers' history and brand is the Titans and I think they should use it. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Chapter 1 will be about the name controversy, chapter 2 will be about when the decision was made to change the name, chapter 3 will tell the story of the WFT era, chapters 4-10 will be a detailed analysis of the Browns move to Baltimore and the ramifications of the "Cleveland Deal", chapter 11 will be about the Titans 1999 rebrand, and chapter 12 will be about the Catalonian independence movement.

To be fair Barcelona's worn the same third kit for four seasons now.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2022/01/fc-barcelona-wear-same-kit-four-years.html

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It still happened. And it makes it very complicated to re-arrange the record books for Houston. The Browns, for all the bs involved in that revisionist history, never played a down as the Baltimore Browns. Making it easier to say "the Browns stayed in Cleveland." 

The Oilers played in Tennessee as the Tennessee Oilers and wore Oilers throwbacks as the Titans. There's no Cleveland Deal to be had here. The team that owns the Oilers' history and brand is the Titans and I think they should use it. 

I think there should be no rearranging, just let Houston have the Oilers name again or keep it retired forever. It was bad taste even entertaining the idea of the Tennessee Oilers for those two seasons.

Nobody wanted the Manitoba Moose. They wanted the Winnipeg Jets. Much like Winnipeg with the Jets, Houston should be allowed to an "Oilers in all but name" redesign and get the name back once the Adams family sells the team.

D3cTPPxWwAA0oj1.jpg

Powder blue, red, and the stripes should reside in their rightful home of Houston, as the Titans forfeited those rights upon the rebrand in 1999.

• Like 16

I don't get the sense anyone in Tennessee is particularly clamoring to be the Oilers. Less certain about the Houston market but even there there seems to be less consternation than, say, Charlotte during the Bobcats era.

Both teams could use smarter design but something as disruptive as a new name doesn't seem needed.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

I don't get the sense anyone in Tennessee is particularly clamoring to be the Oilers. Less certain about the Houston market but even there there seems to be less consternation than, say, Charlotte during the Bobcats era.

Both teams could use smarter design but something as disruptive as a new name doesn't seem needed.

Nashvillian here – Titans fans are crazed about Oilers throwbacks making a comeback. I think as a whole, Titans fans and the organization have a lot of pride and respect for the Oilers lineage. I think a big reason for this is the immediate success in Nashville with a lot of big names that started their careers in Houston – Jeff Fisher, Steve McNair, Eddie George, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Part of the decline in the original Titans look was moving to one template for all NFL teams when Reebok took over. 

Five Former Titans Among Nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of  2021

Pantheon of Titans: The Story of Eddie George - Music City Miracles

Derrick Henry || 2016 Rookie Year Titans Highlights || HD - YouTube

It got even worse with Nike because that yoke/sleeve stripe went from one standard width that came to a point on the sleeves to a thinner straight  line as the sleeves kept getting smaller. Even the swords shrank to make up the difference. 

Those ever-shrinking yokes always bugged the mess out of me--like, how hard was it for Nike/whoever they outsourced uniform construction to to engineer a bigger piece of fabric to cover more area, as it originally was?

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's also strange that for as little red that this team has on it's uniforms, players use a lot of it for gloves, sleeves and shoes. 

Tennessee Titans: Defensive line depth chart after 2021 NFL Draft

It goes deeper than that. 

Back in 2018, when the team began (cosmetically) updating the stadium--prior to that, most of the stadium was bare concrete and red everything else, particularly the light fixtures--they painted the outside of the upper bowl navy blue, and then switched out the seats up there, which were red, for navy blue. At the same time, they started upgrading all of the stadium signage (this was just before Nissan bought the naming rights), and it all became mostly navy and red, to include the signs above and in the windows of the pro shop at the stadium. That was about the only place where you actually saw a prominence of their [supposed-to-have-been] signature light blue...and there was a LOT of it in there. It always made me curious as to how there was hardly any light blue anywhere inside that stadium, save for one wall dedicated to their Oilers history (and not even a whole wall at that--more on that in a bit).

5 hours ago, B-Rich said:

From what  I remember,  it WAS a given and they DID know. 

The new stadium in Nashville was not to be complete until 1999, and there was an announcement from the organization that they would NOT change their identity until they moved into the new STADIUM.    Which is why they were still the Tennessee Oilers in Nashville at Vanderbilt, after the Memphis/Liberty Bowl turned out to be such a mistake (remember, they were SUPPOSED to play there both 1997 and 1998).

I remember that whole debacle well...even from northwest Florida it seemed messed up for them to be playing in the dang-near empty Liberty Bowl, knowing Memphis at large didn't care for the team since they knew it was going to Nashville (I did not at the time know about the fierce rivalry the two cities had, but I sure found out once I moved up there [semi] permanently in 2014.)

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

See, I like this logo. Just take the "98" off of it and I think you have a pretty nice alternate "Tennessee Oilers" mark. 

The Titans' brand was very invigorating in 1999. It captured the mood perfectly. It's very "of the Millennium." 

That was also its downfall though. It was looking very stale by the time they changed. The idea to change was appropriate but it was the direction they went with that sucked. 

Maannn what you said. I still get irked looking at what they have now; it really makes me pine for what they had--or at the very least, a reelevating of their signature light blue. I mean, it is barely there.

As to their logo, I always found the whole fireball thing to be an interesting approach (I'm told the inspiration was from the "flame of Prometheus"). It's cool to look at--but it's a pain to work with. The main issue is that due to its overall shape it is next to impossible to center correctly--it requires a whole lotta nudging & eyeballing. (That logo's placement on shirts and sweaters literally is all over the place depending on who's producing it.) Still, though, I do like it for its uniqueness; the Miami Heat's logo is the only other one I can think off offhand that features the essence of a fireball (at least among the big 4).

4 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Tennessee had all the opportunity in the world to just change the number font and helmet stripe on the pre-2018 set.

I never understood why so many people seemed to hate that number font. Yes, it was custom, but it was also (to me anyway) pretty sharp. Well yes, the 8 was a little bit wonky, and the open-top 4 is a matter of personal taste (I personally love it), but one thing is for sure: it ain't anywhere close to as offensive as the one they have now.

3 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Going back to the Oilers would be such an upgrade for Houston over their mostly bland and uninspired “Texans” identity.

Then again, anything would be an upgrade over the Titans’ current uniforms. 

I don’t really care who has the name, I just want a team to embrace light blue & red as a full-time color scheme & to use those classic Oilers stripes. 

Here's where I offer the unpopular opinion of the day: yes, I too loved everything about the Houston Oilers identity (well at least once they settled on one, in the '70s up til '98). But given the toxicity the Tennessee version was connected to, it's best that they moved on. If they don't see the field again, I won't be mad.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

The Titans peaked aesthetically here

Tennessee Titans Hype 2018-19 | "Rule The World" | ᴴᴰ - YouTube

THIS, I love. THIS, I wish we saw more of. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think there should be no rearranging, just let Houston have the Oilers name again or keep it retired forever. It was bad taste even entertaining the idea of the Tennessee Oilers for those two seasons.

D3cTPPxWwAA0oj1.jpg

Powder blue, red, and the stripes should reside in their rightful home of Houston, as the Titans forfeited those rights upon the rebrand in 1999.

Let's not let emotionalism get in the way of actual fact: the legal property, which was that identity, stayed with the man who legally owned them, despite how crummy of a "business deal" he worked with Nashville to get his team out of Houston. (Actually, I think Bid Adams would have moved the team anywhere that would have given him his stadium demands; just so happened that Nashville stepped up at the time.)

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I lived there for five years and still have a few ties to the place (like, the Snatit 😆)--but while I was there I could barely see any Oilers enthusiasm, except for in the team store. (Things may have changed in the two years since I've been gone, though.) I don't know if they're still doing it, but the pro shop for the longest time had a dedicated little section of their store devoted to Oilers nostalgia merchandise--just as the stadium itself only had that one little section of wall dedicated to the Oilers history. So yeah, they barely acknowledge it, if at all anymore.

• Like 10

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||