Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm with you, and modern classic is exactly right. Three titles in those uniforms as well give it a ton of equity. I think they'd be silly to change them, though I personally preferred the blue jerseys to orange.

I'd be ok with the color rush (with white pants) becoming the primary, with a white counterpart and then keeping the navy current as the "Super Bowl" alt/throwback. But beyond that just keep what you have. I also don't trust current NFL designers/Nike to come up with something better.

• Like 2

If I was commissioner, they'd be stripped of that title.  The league is better off if it never happened rather than having it immortalized in those ridiculous  t-shirts.  It's about time the NBA had VACATED as a defending champion.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Apropos of nothing:

spacer.png

Jerry Rice looks so strange as a Bronco. Like, the Seahawks somehow made more sense for him.

Stranger than Jerry in non-49ers uniform is him not wearing #80.

• Like 9

6uXNWAo.png

13 hours ago, WSU151 said:

LOL well done

AHHHH yes. The uniform that started the introduction of really stupid NFL uniforms. Looking at you Cardinals, 2002 Bills, 2004 Falcons just to name a few. Yes, also they took the identity of the Broncos away by going to navy jerseys. That Elway may be an important figure in NFL lure someday. Seems to know what he's speaking about.😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joekono said:

He even had the balls to ask Largent for 80 when he went to Seattle(not a classy move but that's just my opinion).

A number is just a number, but that’s a different discussion.

Also, Rice is damn near definitively the greatest WR of all time. So, there’s that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, selgy said:

This was just as weird

51523638-denver-broncos-v-oakland-raider

Nah.  Old broken down 49ers should only be allowed to sign to the Raiders.

3 hours ago, joekono said:

He even had the balls to ask Largent for 80 when he went to Seattle(not a classy move but that's just my opinion).

It's a pretty scummy move and any player that is so self absorbed that they have to ask a legend to surrender the honor of a retired number deserves two ripped Achilles tendons and a compound fracture of the C7 vertebrae.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, joekono said:

13 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It's a pretty scummy move and any player that is so self absorbed that they have to ask a legend to surrender the honor of a retired number deserves two ripped Achilles tendons and a compound fracture of the C7 vertebrae.

Except that's not how it went down.

Instead, it was GM Bob Whitsitt who orchestrated the entire thing.

“It was a little bit of a scam in that he called Jerry and said, ‘Hey Jerry, Steve Largent really wants you to wear his number in Seattle.’ Jerry wasn’t even thinking about that,” Largent said. “Then (Bob) calls me and says, ‘Jerry really wants to wear your number, can he wear it?’”

Rice corroborated Largent’s recount of how it went down.

“I had no intent on wearing his jersey when I went to Seattle,” the 49ers legend told NFL Network. “He’s a legend, and I would never cross that line. I guess we both got played by management.”

Largent allowed Rice to wear his number thinking it was the receiver who made the request, even though he was a bit (and understandably) uneasy about it. He felt slighted that the organization that retired his number would even make such a request. A retired number doesn’t mean “retired until an opportunity presents itself for it to be worn again.”

The crux of the issue was presenting the option to Rice as if it would be this huge honor for Largent. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/how-bob-whitsitt-tricked-steve-largent-giving-jerry-rice-seahawks-no-80

How long before someone breaks open a case of Commanders gear at a sporting goods store and lets the news out early?

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, Bill0813 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seattle-seahawks/how-bob-whitsitt-tricked-steve-largent-giving-jerry-rice-seahawks-no-80

How long before someone breaks open a case of Commanders gear at a sporting goods store and lets the news out early?

Fair enough.  Rice gets a pass.  Duane Haskins still deserves to be broken in half... vertically.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, BBTV said:

aaannnndddd CCSLC 2022 Bingo is off to a great start.

BBTV wishing bodily harm, injury and/or death upon a player for ridiculous reasons

EDIT: Twice in one day so early in the year, that’s bonus points

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Bill0813 said:

Or sets up promo photos at the airport.

1 hour ago, Bill0813 said:

I’ll say last week of January, I don’t think sports goods places will be getting the orders before then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Going back to something I had a problem with twenty whole years ago -- Rice should never have worn Steve Largent's retired #80 to begin with. Felt disrespectful to wear the # of the only great Seahawk (up to that point) in the twilight of his career and try to make it his own.

In general, not a fan of un-retiring a number for any player, no matter how great the player is. This includes when Peyton Manning did it in Denver. So now, there's THIS at the stadium 🥴

USATSI_9791832_164063748_lowres.jpg

• Like 7

6uXNWAo.png

15 hours ago, PERRIN said:

I find the Broncos set to be the least egregious of the piping/side panel late 90s-early 00s era sets, and I can see why it's stuck around as long as it has. It's not nearly as bad as other side panel uniforms out there, does a good job with color blocking, and is mostly consistent in application across the pants and jerseys. I don't mind the orange lines on the white set, there has to be orange somewhere and it adds it without taking away from the style of the rest of the set. I think it's a solid uniform set that has enough history with championships to warrant its 20+ year stay in the league. Nothing great, but certainly not bad either.

That being said, I think it's time to move on. I'm not a huge fan of navy and orange as a color scheme for the Broncos, but I'm not particularly fond of any of the previous uniforms the Broncos have used. The powder blue color was unique, but it's definitely dated, especially given how it was used. I haven't seen a concept that uses royal or powder all that well, so I'm skeptical to see if the Broncos could pull of a return to a brighter shade of blue. If they stick with navy, and they likely will whenever they change sets, I'd like to see the Broncos shift to a middle ground between the current set and something more traditional, like @colinturner95's Broncos concepts. They definitely need to stick with orange as the primary jersey color. It's a unique look that sets them apart from the Bears and their similar color scheme. The NFL has way too much navy already.

I was trying to figure out which concept you were referring to. You said middle ground between modern and classic, which led me to think of the Color Rush inspired set: 

HZL5Eri.png

But I also thought of my NFL2020 series, circa 2016, updated 2022 concept for the Broncos which leans more into the modern but IMO, wouldn't be overly offensive 

ctFMcYP.png

• Like 5

AmPJ0Ty.png 

12 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

I was trying to figure out which concept you were referring to. You said middle ground between modern and classic, which led me to think of the Color Rush inspired set: 

HZL5Eri.png

But I also thought of my NFL2020 series, circa 2016, updated 2022 concept for the Broncos which leans more into the modern but IMO, wouldn't be overly offensive 

ctFMcYP.png

That bottom concept made me sick

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

ctFMcYP.png

Way too Bengaly. Yikes!

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png