Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

11 hours ago, IceCap said:

Bring back the Oilers.

But in Tennessee.

Tennessee Oilers > whatever the Titans' brand has become.

The Oilers brand, yes. The Tennessee Oilers brand, though? I don't know about that one--but since we ain't got nothing better to do right now than prolong the Clevejacking already in progress, let's look at this.

qHr4Xy6.jpeg

What we see here is the shoehorning of the Tennessee state flag turned 45-ish° with the navy blue fly extended around the bottom to house the rest of the team name ( but curiously without the white line separating the red from the blue as on the fly, for some reason) to the circle of stars of the three Grand Divisions isolated and elevated to further emphasize that these are now the Tennessee Oilers. I suppose from a brand strategy standpoint, all that made sense--but they could have gone without sticking the 98 in there. Of course, the '97 version had even more letters crammed into it....

c1y7tun.gif

It's almost as if they knew these would be temporary stopgaps prior to releasing a new identity.  (And I remind that we very nearly had the Tennessee Pioneers rather than the Titans we actually got.)

And while we're reminiscing on that three-year dead period in their history--the lame-duck year of '96 followed by their teo nomad seasons split between Memphis and Vanderbilt's campus, here's this...

636053886429279621-TN-Oilers-vs-Saints-i

oilers-libertybowlwarmup.jpg

And what ultimately became in '99...

636583462496188857-68-Titans-Uniform-Par

788204a0-1d2e-11eb-bebb-a7b385d4615e

(All this said, I will say that the '99 Tennessee Titans > whatever their current brand has become.)

• Like 13

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

27 minutes ago, tBBP said:

The Oilers brand, yes. The Tennessee Oilers brand, though? I don't know about that one--but since we ain't got nothing better to do right now than prolong the Clevejacking already in progress, let's look at this.

qHr4Xy6.jpeg

What we see here is the shoehorning of the Tennessee state flag turned 45-ish° with the navy blue fly extended around the bottom to house the rest of the team name ( but curiously without the white line separating the red from the blue as on the fly, for some reason) to the circle of stars of the three Grand Divisions isolated and elevated to further emphasize that these are now the Tennessee Oilers. I suppose from a brand strategy standpoint, all that made sense--but they could have gone without sticking the 98 in there. Of course, the '97 version had even more letters crammed into it....

c1y7tun.gif

It's almost as if they knew these would be temporary stopgaps prior to releasing a new identity.  (And I remind that we very nearly had the Tennessee Pioneers rather than the Titans we actually got.)

And while we're reminiscing on that three-year dead period in their history--the lame-duck year of '96 followed by their teo nomad seasons split between Memphis and Vanderbilt's campus, here's this...

oilers-libertybowlwarmup.jpg

And what ultimately became in '99...

636583462496188857-68-Titans-Uniform-Par

(All this said, I will say that the '99 Tennessee Titans > whatever their current brand has become.)

I forgot 1999 was their first year as the Titans. Imagine this in the Super Bowl...

466184995-houston-oilers-v-los-angeles-r

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Part of the decline in the original Titans look was moving to one template for all NFL teams when Reebok took over. 

Five Former Titans Among Nominees for Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of  2021

Pantheon of Titans: The Story of Eddie George - Music City Miracles

Derrick Henry || 2016 Rookie Year Titans Highlights || HD - YouTube

It got even worse with Nike because that yoke/sleeve stripe went from one standard width that came to a point on the sleeves to a thinner straight  line as the sleeves kept getting smaller. Even the swords shrank to make up the difference.  The colors changed over time as well, even before the current designs. 

Ranking all of the Tennessee Titans 2021 free agents through Week 8

It's also strange that for as little red that this team has on it's uniforms, players use a lot of it for gloves, sleeves and shoes. 

Tennessee Titans: Defensive line depth chart after 2021 NFL Draft

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I have to disagree about your statement regarding the reebok era as reebok's manufacturer, ripon produced a wide swath of templates/cuts that often looked very non-uniform within the same team. As a matter of fact the titans (and bengals) were one of the most egregious offenders of wide ranging variations of jerseys on field. Nike came in and really streamlined things to achieve a more consistent on field aesthetic.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, tBBP said:

From what  I remember,  it WAS a given and they DID know. 

The new stadium in Nashville was not to be complete until 1999, and there was an announcement from the organization that they would NOT change their identity until they moved into the new STADIUM.    Which is why they were still the Tennessee Oilers in Nashville at Vanderbilt, after the Memphis/Liberty Bowl turned out to be such a mistake (remember, they were SUPPOSED to play there both 1997 and 1998).

48 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree. 

• Like 6

It is what it is.

15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

As a guy who went to two schools with the “Pioneers” name, the Titans would be dealing with controversy right now (since “Pioneers” = “Colonizers” for many). “Titans” is much less of potential problem.

They still could have issues even with the name Titans as it can be seen as offensive to people who are "vertically challenged" (I'm lookibg at you too New York Giants) or can be triggering for survivors of the Titan....ic.

I'll see myself out now 🚪

• Like 6

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

qHr4Xy6.jpeg

See, I like this logo. Just take the "98" off of it and I think you have a pretty nice alternate "Tennessee Oilers" mark. 

(All this said, I will say that the '99 Tennessee Titans > whatever their current brand has become.)

The Titans' brand was very invigorating in 1999. It captured the mood perfectly. It's very "of the Millennium." 

That was also its downfall though. It was looking very stale by the time they changed. The idea to change was appropriate but it was the direction they went with that sucked. 

I think the Oilers' brand was akin to the Blue Jays' WS look and the Astros' classic look. They were looking tired and old in the late 90s, but as we've gotten distance it's clear those looks had/have more staying power than the trendy designs that replaced them. Both the Jays and Astros are back in versions of their classic identities. 

The Oilers' look is very simple, in a good way. It's a no-nonsense football look that stands out with a unique colour scheme. And the oil derrick is rightfully iconic. One of those perfect NFL logos. 

I'd hate to see the brand/record nightmare that would be pretending the Texans were really the Oilers all along (after the Titans spent some years as the Oilers in Tennessee and wore Oilers throwbacks), but I'd love to see the Titans revert to being the Tennessee Oilers. If we can have the Jazz in Utah and the Lakers in Los Angeles why not? 

• Like 8

They way Houston lost the Oilers makes the Tennessee Oilers a non-starter. I’d rather have the Texans taking the Oilers’ old identity save for the name. Let Tennessee wear the ‘99 modern classics.

If Houston can’t have it, no other NFL market can have it.

• Like 8

Going back to the Oilers would be such an upgrade for Houston over their mostly bland and uninspired “Texans” identity.

Then again, anything would be an upgrade over the Titans’ current uniforms. 

I don’t really care who has the name, I just want a team to embrace light blue & red as a full-time color scheme & to use those classic Oilers stripes. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

Except they already did it. There's precedent. 

...as a temporary identity that just served to remind people how Bud Adams screwed Houston. Starting over identity-wise was the right call, a call that should've been followed with letting the Houston expansion team be the Oilers.

• Like 7