Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

14 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Annnnd let’s throw in a star and a silver helmet because Houston loves the Dallas Cowboys

Β 

I'm with you on the star, but there is precedent for a silver helmet in the Oilers history.

Β 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

Most Liked Content of the DayΒ -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017Β  Β  Β /////Β  Β  Β Β Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Β Β πŸ™ƒ

When I was a kid I never understood the Oilers logo. Now I know it's a derrick, but as a child the only thing it resembled was the Eiffel Tower and that didn't make sense for a football team at all.

Β 

I get the nostalgia for the team name and logo, but it's kind of a weird identity in hindsight. Oilers as a name is fine, whatever, but a derrick at the same time both too on-the-nose (if you know what it is) and too abstract (if you don't).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

When I was a kid I never understood the Oilers logo. Now I know it's a derrick, but as a child the only thing it resembled was the Eiffel Tower and that didn't make sense for a football team at all.

Β 

I get the nostalgia for the team name and logo, but it's kind of a weird identity in hindsight. Oilers as a name is fine, whatever, but a derrick at the same time both too on-the-nose (if you know what it is) and too abstract (if you don't).

Β 

I never really thought about it before, but yeah, an oil derrick logo is kind of odd logo for "Oilers".Β It's something that if you know, you know, but it isn't really as straight forward as having your logo having an oil drop and then spelling out "OILERS" underneath.

Β 

The Calgary Roughnecks have an oil derrick alternate logo, an oil derrick used to be the side paneling on their jerseys, the players run out through an oil derrick during the pre-game introductions and their first mascot (who they may have brought back this season?) was named Derrick. Similar to the Houston XFL Roughnecks, it does make sense but yet it kind of doesn't.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Β 

I never really thought about it before, but yeah, an oil derrick logo is kind of odd logo for "Oilers".Β It's something that if you know, you know, but it isn't really as straight forward as having your logo having an oil drop and then spelling out "OILERS" underneath.

Β 

The Calgary Roughnecks have an oil derrick alternate logo, an oil derrick used to be the side paneling on their jerseys, the players run out through an oil derrick during the pre-game introductions and their first mascot (who they may have brought back this season?) was named Derrick. Similar to the Houston XFL Roughnecks, it does make sense but yet it kind of doesn't.

Β 

This is sorta the difference between denotative and connotative--in other words, literal vs figurative.Β  An oil derrick is still rather denotative--again, if you know what a derrick even is--but it'd be even more so if the logo used an actual oil drop (looking at you, Edmonton Hockey Team).Β 

Β 

Side tangent, but one of the things I've observed is that far more people and even designers aim more for the denotative approach rather than the connotative one--it's easier (and probably easier to design for) to connect with a literal thing rather than connecting with the idea of one.Β  This is best demonstrated in, of all places, the current Snatit uniforms and the last iteration of the Bengals' uniforms. In both instances, the sets that preceded them took the approach of connoting the idea of their nickname (the Bengals far more so); the sets thsy replaced them crossed the line into cosplay--that is, trying to be their nickname.

• Like 8

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

If we can bring this thread back on track, someone asked a while back why the Broncos didn't wear the mono-navy combo for the first few years of the new set, and we were talking about how Elway didn't like them.Β  Here's more about that:
Β 

Β 

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

If we can bring this thread back on track, someone asked a while back why the Broncos didn't wear the mono-navy combo for the first few years of the new set, and we were talking about how Elway didn't like them.Β  Here's more about that:
Β 

Β 

LOL well done

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Β 

33 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Β 

Β 

Theoretically, Elway would be okay wearing the current orange home uniforms, right?

11 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Theoretically, Elway would be okay wearing the current orange home uniforms, right?

Β 

Wasn't he in charge when they flipped the orange from alt to primary?Β  They still look clownish so I dunno.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Β 

Wasn't he in charge when they flipped the orange from alt to primary?Β  They still look clownish so I dunno.

Yes, actually. He became the GM in 2012, the year the Broncos made the switch (coincidentally, also the year the League switched to Nike, the original creator of Denver’s set).Β 
Β 

They’re stale-er than Subway bread at this point, though, and the need to change as soon as possible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Yes, actually. He became the GM in 2012, the year the Broncos made the switch (coincidentally, also the year the League switched to Nike, the original creator of Denver’s set).Β 
Β 

They’re stale-er than Subway bread at this point, though, and the need to change as soon as possible.

Β 

Unpopular opinion alert: The current helmet logo is a superior helmet logo to the D and uniforms are modern classics because they are the 1st and the best of that late 90's paneled design.

Β 

Are they dated?Β  Probably. Was the orange crush/robin blue dated in the mid 90's? Yes.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

Β 

Unpopular opinion alert: The current helmet logo is a superior helmet logo to the D and uniforms are modern classics because they are the 1st and the best of that late 90's paneled design.

Β 

Are they dated?Β  Probably. Was the orange crush/robin blue dated in the mid 90's? Yes.

Β 

I'm with you, and modern classic is exactly right. Three titles in those uniforms as well give it a ton of equity. I think they'd be silly to change them, though I personally preferred the blue jerseys to orange.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Β 

I'm with you, and modern classic is exactly right. Three titles in those uniforms as well give it a ton of equity. I think they'd be silly to change them, though I personally preferred the blue jerseys to orange.

Hey moderators, what’s the ETA on the dislike button?

• Like 5

I find the Broncos set to be the least egregious of the piping/side panel late 90s-early 00s era sets, and I can see why it's stuck around as long as it has. It's not nearly as bad as other side panel uniforms out there, does a good job with color blocking, and is mostly consistent in application across the pants and jerseys. I don't mind the orange lines on the white set, there has to be orange somewhere and it adds it without taking away from the style of the rest of the set. I think it's a solid uniform set that has enough history with championships to warrant its 20+ year stay in the league. Nothing great, but certainly not bad either.

Β 

That being said, I think it's time to move on. I'm not a huge fan of navy and orange as a color scheme for the Broncos, but I'm not particularly fond of any of the previous uniforms the Broncos have used. The powder blue color was unique, but it's definitely dated, especially given how it was used. I haven't seen a concept that uses royal or powder all that well, so I'm skeptical to see if the Broncos could pull of a return to a brighter shade of blue. If they stick with navy, and they likely will whenever they change sets, I'd like to see the Broncos shift to a middle ground between the current set and something more traditional, like @colinturner95's Broncos concepts. They definitely need to stick with orange as the primary jersey color. It's a unique look that sets them apart from the Bears and their similar color scheme. The NFL has way too much navy already.

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb |Β Aspiring Designer |Β NAFA ProjectΒ ~ NFL Redesigns

I really think it's time to retire the whole "they won a championship in them therefore they're automatic classics" line of rhetoric.

Β 

That is, unless of course, one wants to put these in that same category as the "untouchable classics"...

Β 

j.r.-smith-kevin-love-lebron-james-nba-f

Β 

Spoiler

FTR, I do though agree that Denver's current sets are indeed modern classics.

Β 

• Like 16

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||