Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

23 hours ago, tBBP said:

I really think it's time to retire the whole "they won a championship in them therefore they're automatic classics" line of rhetoric.

That is, unless of course, one wants to put these in that same category as the "untouchable classics"...

j.r.-smith-kevin-love-lebron-james-nba-f

Hide contents

FTR, I do though agree that Denver's current sets are indeed modern classics.

I had to wait until I was in my goddamn 40s for a Milwaukee team to finally win a championship (that we didn't have to share with Green Bay) and instead of the gorgeous regular unis or the antler alts, they did it in those stupid black jerseys with the blue line. 

I dunno. It just sticks in my craw that Giannis, the most wholesome and likable guy in the world, had to win his first ring looking like a guy who beats his wife. 

Also... to tie this into the subject. I hope they call a last minute audible and become the Redtails.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's a pretty scummy move and any player that is so self absorbed that they have to ask a legend to surrender the honor of a retired number deserves two ripped Achilles tendons and a compound fracture of the C7 vertebrae.

Bringing it back to Washington, I will say I was a little salty at Jason Campbell for having the temerity to wear Doug Williams' #17. Williams' # wasn't strictly retired -- they've only retired Baugh, Bobby Mitchell, and more recently, Sean Taylor). And, if memory serves, Williams gave permission. But still. Campbell wasn't even the first QB to wear #17 after the Touch of Class era. 😠

WFT has traditionally been too laissez-faire about their greats' #s. Either retire a normal amount, or don't retire any, and rely on a ring of honor instead. Retiring some players' jerseys without formally retiring, say, Darrell Green's #28 -- doesn't make a lick of sense. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-league/post/catch-17-is-doug-williams-old-jersey-off-limits-or-not/2010/12/20/gIQAypWVLJ_blog.html

30 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

I could have sworn Patrick Ramsey wore 17. He didn't. 

But I found this beautiful photo of the throwbacks I had to share. (most of the pics shared on here were in a dome)

spacer.png

You're thinking of Danny Awful, one of the other members of the quarterback carousel from that season.

spacer.png

He actually wore #7 during training camp, but at some point the team decided he couldn't wear Theismann's number, so instead they had him wear Williams' number, as if that was somehow better.

spacer.png

• Like 4

spacer.png

Getting semi-back on topic...

IMO, I find it weird that anyone wears 17 for Washington.

I find it even weirder that the team officially retired 21 even though it should still be in circulation and be worn by whoever, but you know “nostalgia and honor” or whatever.

I find the most weird that Washington hasn’t issued 27 to a player in almost 12 years as the last person to wear it was RB Larry Johnson for half a season.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

Using Denver Broncos logic:

For having borrowed #7, Haskins must now be immortalized at WFT stadium

USATSI_9791832_164063748_lowres.jpg

This is what the Broncos get for retiring the number of a guy with this career stat line in Denver . . .

Bronc-Jacked!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

In the case of guys like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon, etc -- Does being a non-HOFer and quarterbacking a team to one Super Bowl win *really* warrant a jersey retirement?

I think Williams in particular holds a special place in the fan base's heart versus, say, Rypien, given the historic nature of his win -- even though Rypien put up better stats during his peak in DC. 

A grand list of Washington QB wearing numbers 10-19

Robert Griffin III (2012-15)

spacer.png

Patrick Ramsey (2002-05)

spacer.png

Gus Frerotte (1994-98)

spacer.png

13 (N/A)

Brad Johnson (1999-2000)

spacer.png

Todd Collins (2006-09)

spacer.png

Rich Gannon (1993)

spacer.png

Danny Wuerffel (2002)

spacer.png

18 (N/A)

Garrett Gilbert (2021)

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

A grand list of Washington QB wearing numbers 10-19

Robert Griffin III (2012-15)

spacer.png

Patrick Ramsey (2002-05)

spacer.png

Gus Frerotte (1994-98)

spacer.png

13 (N/A)

Brad Johnson (1999-2000)

spacer.png

Todd Collins (2006-09)

spacer.png

Rich Gannon (1993)

spacer.png

Danny Wuerffel (2002)

spacer.png

18 (N/A)

Garrett Gilbert (2021)

spacer.png

Your grand list doesn't include the guy that won the last SB for Washington??

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Your grand list doesn't include the guy that won the last SB for Washington??

I'm not understanding the point of this list either. Like many of my posts, it's pointless. But this one is also incomplete.

• Like 7

6uXNWAo.png