NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

According to Bloomberg.com, the NFL is hiring Loretta Lynch, the latter of the two US Attorneys General during Barack Obama's presidency, as a defense lawyer in the Brian Flores lawsuit.

This news comes eight days after comedian-turned-television producer Byron Allen announced that he is assembling a group of investors to help him bid for the Denver Broncos -- who, like the NFL, happen to be one of the organizations that Flores is suing.  Furthermore, Allen claimed that he had been encouraged by both Roger Goodell and Robert Kraft to pursue buying an NFL team as far back as November 2019.

With all due respect to the NFL, Byron Allen, and Loretta Lynch, I cannot help but suspect that both the league's supposed encouragement of Allen -- one of the wealthiest, and also one of the least controversial, Black men in the US entertainment industry today -- to buy a franchise that is a co-defendant in a racial discrimination lawsuit, and the league's hiring of Lynch -- the second Black, second female, and first Black female federal Attorney General in US history -- to try to defend against all that Flores is alleging, are highly blatant and troublingly questionable attempts to deflect attention from a possibly very deep and entrenched pattern of systemic racism throughout the respective leaderships of the NFL and at least the majority of the teams in that league.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Applause 4

Continuing the discussion...

Here's a list of NFL coaches (from the so called "Super Bowl era") in the Hall of Fame;

George Allen, Paul Brown, Weeb Ewbank, Joe Gibbs, Sid Gilllman, Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Marv Levy, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, and (obviously) Vince Lombardy.  And now Vermeil.

Any Surprises?  Anyone missing? 

27 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Here's the list of NFL coaches (from the so called "Super Bowl era") in the Hall of Fame;

George Allen, Paul Brown, Weeb Ewbank, Joe Gibbs, Sid Gilllman, Bud Grant, Tom Landry, Marv Levy, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, and (obviously) Vince Lombardy.  And now Vermeil.

Aside from the fact that there was a coach at one point named Weeb Ewbank about 40 years before it meant someone who likes Japanese cartoons a little too much, I don’t see Jimmy Johnson or Hank Stram. Pretty sure Stram is in the HoF though. 

Edited by Red Comet

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Here's the list of NFL coaches (from the so called "Super Bowl era") in the Hall of Fame;

35 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Aside from the fact that there was a coach at one point named Weeb Ewbank about 40 years before it meant someone who likes Japanese cartoons a little too much, I don’t see Jimmy Johnson or Hank Stram. Pretty sure Stram is in the HoF though. 

Yeah, that was a poorly worded post of mine to begin with.  Should've said some.  It's missing quite a few names. John Madden, Bill Parcells, like you said, Jimmie Johnson and Hank Stram, I think Tony Dungy is in, right?

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Dan Reeves is in as well I believe. And Tom Flores just went in. I guess Coors running a campaign to get him in helped. Now they need to do one for Clay Mathews. He has better stats than quite a few recent entries. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

The Tennessee Titans are allegedly looking into a new stadium.

I don’t know enough or really anything about their current stadium, but what is so wrong with it that it needs an upgrade besides some billionaire demanding welfare? 

Look at it this way though.... it is not like it is in as bad a shape as FedEx Field....

• "For example, the stadium's structural frame was built with concrete and needs to be largely replaced with steel. The mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems need to be completely replaced. The window system throughout the building is so antiquated that it is not even manufactured anymore."

I saw, I came, I left.

Wow. Okay, the more you know. Still seems really wasteful to me and maybe they should recycle parts of the old stadium into the new one where possible but what do I know? I’m not an architect so my opinion about stadiums is clearly completely worthless even if I pay the taxes to fund such things. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

The Tennessee Titans are allegedly looking into a new stadium.

I don’t know enough or really anything about their current stadium, but what is so wrong with it that it needs an upgrade besides some billionaire demanding welfare? 

Even before I read that link, @Red Comet, my first guess was that certain people in high places in Nashville -- if not the Titans' ownership, then definitely some local politicians and/or some bigwigs in the city's tourism and entertainment industries -- have been wanting Nashville to have an NFL-caliber stadium with specifically a fixed or retractable roof, so that Nashville could become able to host such events as Super Bowls, College Football Playoff championship games, NCAA Division I men's basketball Final Fours, indoor concerts with much larger crowds than what any indoor venue currently in or near Nashville can hold, or even SEC football championship games if that conference ever wants to have that game played somewhere other than Atlanta.  Sure enough, the linked article suggests (rather strongly, if you ask me) that the push to replace Nissan Stadium is probably being fueled heavily by a yearning for a Nashville NFL venue with a roof.

First came "Jerry World" in Arlington, Texas.  Then came "Kroenke World" in Inglewood, California.  Hmmm ... might "Amy World" be coming soon to the Music City or someplace near there?

1 hour ago, Walk-Off said:

Even before I read that link, @Red Comet, my first guess was that certain people in high places in Nashville -- if not the Titans' ownership, then definitely some local politicians and/or some bigwigs in the city's tourism and entertainment industries -- have been wanting Nashville to have an NFL-caliber stadium with specifically a fixed or retractable roof, so that Nashville could become able to host such events as Super Bowls, College Football Playoff championship games, NCAA Division I men's basketball Final Fours,

75,000 in attendance for a St. Louis County girl's bachelorette party,

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Walk-Off said:

Even before I read that link, @Red Comet, my first guess was that certain people in high places in Nashville -- if not the Titans' ownership, then definitely some local politicians and/or some bigwigs in the city's tourism and entertainment industries -- have been wanting Nashville to have an NFL-caliber stadium with specifically a fixed or retractable roof, so that Nashville could become able to host such events as Super Bowls, College Football Playoff championship games, NCAA Division I men's basketball Final Fours, indoor concerts with much larger crowds than what any indoor venue currently in or near Nashville can hold, or even SEC football championship games if that conference ever wants to have that game played somewhere other than Atlanta.  Sure enough, the linked article suggests (rather strongly, if you ask me) that the push to replace Nissan Stadium is probably being fueled heavily by a yearning for a Nashville NFL venue with a roof.

First came "Jerry World" in Arlington, Texas.  Then came "Kroenke World" in Inglewood, California.  Hmmm ... might "Amy World" be coming soon to the Music City or someplace near there?

A new domed stadium in Nashville would help with recruits for Tennessee State, coached by Eddie George.

Nissan Stadium is almost 25 years old now, right? 

That's usually around the age when they begin begging for a new stadium. 

Frankly I'm surprised it hadn't happened sooner.

Not that there aren't a few other teams that need the new stadium  more coughwashingtoncough. 

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

75,000 in attendance for a St. Louis County girl's bachelorette party,

Yeah, show me the high school where there are 75,000 people. This is St. Louis after all aka the only place where people really care about where you went to high school. 

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

A new domed stadium in Nashville would help with recruits for Tennessee State, coached by Eddie George.

That all depends upon whether or not the Tennessee State football program gains a guaranteed right to play home games at an indoor stadium in Nashville, just as what that team has enjoyed at what is now Nissan Stadium since that venue's 1999 opening.  The TSU football team's right to play at the Titans' current stadium has been a stipulation of the portion of the funding that the Tennessee state government gave to the stadium project, so any future stadium for the Titans in or near Nashville may also need to get partial funding from the state's coffers in order for TSU to keep having that perk.

2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Nissan Stadium is almost 25 years old now, right? 

That's usually around the age when they begin begging for a new stadium. 

Stadiums that are appx the same age as Nissan Stadium:

Carolina

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Detroit

Denver

Houston

New England

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Seattle

Tampa Bay

Washington

6uXNWAo.png

11 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Stadiums that are appx the same age as Nissan Stadium:

Carolina

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Detroit

Denver

Houston

New England

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Seattle

Tampa Bay

Washington

Colts

Vikings

Lions

Falcons

Bucs

All got new stadiums around the 25-30 year mark of their old ones.  

Now I'm not saying the Titans need a new stadium, I was just surprised they're still using the same stadium they moved to Tennessee for.  There's still a few teams you could argue need one more. Namely Washington. 

Well, nothing in the New South is really built to last, so I'm not totally surprised, but it's still obnoxious. I can understand those cheapo '70s domes not standing the test of time, but I would think that by the late '90s, we would have figured out stadium construction and maintenance a little better. I mean, this place ain't Madison Square Garden; most of the year it just sits there not doing anything. How much could you have let it go to crap unless you were trying to?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫