NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

@LMU Any chance we can add a "whatever" reaction? It sure would come in handy.

I thought the "yawn" was kinda like "whatever".

I do think an eyeroll would be nice.

• Meh 1
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2022 HALL OF VERY GOOD inductees:

Tony Boselli

Cliff Branch

Leroy Butler

Art McNally

Sam Mills

Richard Seymour

Dick Vermeil

Bryant Young

Grew up watching football and literally not one of these players (oh, and a ref got in 🥴) hit me as Canton worthy. Mayyybe Boselli had he had a standard career. But here we are.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

Tony Boselli

Cliff Branch

Leroy Butler

Art McNally

Sam Mills

Richard Seymour

Dick Vermeil

Bryant Young

Grew up watching football and literally not one of these players (oh, and a ref got in 🥴) hit me as Canton worthy. Mayyybe Boselli had he had a standard career. But here we are.

Cliff Branch deserves to get in since  Biletnikoff is in. His stats are almost identical to his, and he didn't need Stickum. 

Biletnikoff

Receptions:    589
Receiving yards:    8,974
Yards per reception:    15.2
Receiving touchdowns:    76

Branch

Receptions:    501
Receiving yards:    8,685
Touchdowns:    67

And he has much better stats than:

Lynn Swann

Receptions:    336
Receiving yards:    5,462
Touchdowns:    51

Sam Mills I think deserves to be in for all he did for the Saints and then the Panthers when they entered the league.  Butler, Boselli and Young though? I agree with you there. But for Boselli, it seems like they've been trying to get him in to Canton for years because he played with the Jaguars for so long, not necessarily for his talent. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Yeah, Boselli deserves serious consideration. For a time he was considered the top left tackle in the game. That plus anytime anyone brings up the "too short career" argument, I point them straight to Terrell Davis. Dude barely played his last three years in the league and still got in, so on that merit, added to the fact that OLs are routinely disrespected, Boselli should make it in. (While we're talking overlooked linemen, is this where I pick back up my Paul Gruber for HoF campaign???)

Also, Sam Mills. Dude was the engine to the Dome Patrol that no one paid attention to in New Orleans in the 80s and early 90s. He then became the same for the Panthers. I agree, his contributions to those clubs should merit him some big time consideration.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm pretty sure I'm getting into the NFL HOF at some point.  Seriously - dudes are eligible for 15-20 years?  

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

Richard Seymour? I remember him being a great defensive end for many years in New England, but was he really a Hall of Famer? Only 57.5 career sacks. I never considered him to be anywhere near as dominant as Dwight Freeney or Julius Peppers were in the 2000s.

He was a 3x 1st team all pro, 2x second team all pro, 7x pro bowler, was on the 2000’s all decade team, and most importantly a 3x super bowl champion, and was on the undefeated team. Yea the last 2 are team accomplishments, but he has enough individual accomplishments to say he was an important part to them. It’s also not like he’s a first ballot HOFer he’s been eligible for 6 years now.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, dont care said:

He was a 3x 1st team all pro, 2x second team all pro, 7x pro bowler, was on the 2000’s all decade team, and most importantly a 3x super bowl champion, and was on the undefeated team. Yea the last 2 are team accomplishments, but he has enough individual accomplishments to say he was an important part to them. It’s also not like he’s a first ballot HOFer he’s been eligible for 6 years now.

*undefeated regular season 😏

All I'm saying is that he ranks 151st all-time in career sack totals. Mike Vrabel had .5 fewer career sacks than Seymour and arguably had just as much of an impact on that dominant 2000s Patriots defense. And even if I were to agree and say that Seymour's accomplishments are HOF worthy, it still doesn't make any sense that he got in before pass rushers like Joey Porter, Simeon Rice, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen, John Abraham, *DeMarcus Ware (all of whom are eligible and had numerous all-pro selections and put up better numbers over a longer period).

*Edit: Speaking of Ware, I'm just baffled that they snubbed him this year. He is absolutely a first-ballot hall of famer in my mind.

Pro Bowls shouldn't matter when it comes to the HOF.  Shouldn't even be mentioned.  made the Pro Bowl a few years ago as a 95th alternate after 94 players either backed out or were playing in the Super Bowl.

All Pro is all that matters when it comes to a player's accomplishment with respect to all-star teams.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 10:29 PM, Cujo said:

Tony Boselli

Cliff Branch

Leroy Butler

Art McNally

Sam Mills

Richard Seymour

Dick Vermeil

Bryant Young

Using my "if I know his name he's probably a hall of famer" metric for offensive lineman, I guess I'm OK with Boselli.

Branch was a top wide receiver in an era when 73 receptions by a RB once led the league (Chuck Foreman 1975.) Branch was a pretty big deal when I was a kid. If you compare him to WRs today, there's no way he's a Hall of Famer. If you  compare him to the WRs of his era, I think he should have been in long before now.

If Leroy Butler had a HOF career, why did it take the voters 15 years to figure it out? Butler was good, but no one is confusing him with Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed.

McNally? I'm guessing "he :censored:-ed the fewest teams by making bad calls" is the metric for officials.

Sam Mills is the LB version of Leroy Butler - it sure took them long enough to figure out he's a Hall of Famer.

You can make an argument for Richard Seymour - which is the problem. Seems to me that if a player is HOF worthy, there would be no argument.

Dick Vermeil? Seriously? Yeah he won a Super Bowl with the Rams and made another with the Eagles. You know who has almost twice as many wins as Dick Vermeil? Marty Schottenheimer. (204 to 124) Super Bowl wins are weighted way too heavily into the HOF equation. Vermeil is a perfect example of that.

It only took the voters nine years to decide Bryant Young had a Hall of Fame career. I guess that's better than 15 years.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Dick Vermeil? Seriously? Yeah he won a Super Bowl with the Rams and made another with the Eagles. You know who has almost twice as many wins as Dick Vermeil? Marty Schottenheimer. (204 to 124) Super Bowl wins are weighted way too heavily into the HOF equation. Vermeil is a perfect example of that.

The likes of also 'very good 'coaches like Marty and Dan Reeves will never see the HOF because they never won it all. And then there's the case of Mike Shanahan. It's laughable he's not in Canton if they're opening the doors to Vermeil

Vermeil

1 Super Bowl win

120 wins

.524 win %

6 playoff wins (.545 %)

Shanahan 

2 Super Bowl wins

170 wins

.552 win %

8 playoff wins (.571 %)

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

41 minutes ago, Cujo said:

The likes of also 'very good 'coaches like Marty and Dan Reeves will never see the HOF because they never won it all. And then there's the case of Mike Shanahan. It's laughable he's not in Canton if they're opening the doors to Vermeil

Vermeil

1 Super Bowl win

120 wins

.524 win %

6 playoff wins (.545 %)

Shanahan 

2 Super Bowl wins

170 wins

.552 win %

8 playoff wins (.571 %)

Well Mike Shanahan hasn't been portrayed by Greg Kinnear and Dennis Quaid in movies about inspiring underdogs. Maybe Mike will get in if they make a movie called "This One's For John!"

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

Vermeil

1 Super Bowl win

120 wins

.524 win %

6 playoff wins (.545 %)

Shanahan 

2 Super Bowl wins

170 wins

.552 win %

8 playoff wins (.571 %)

Shanahan is going to get in. My guess is they either

a. Don’t think he’s been out long enough and think he could potentially coach another team. Never mind didn’t realize he was 69 and looks about 89 now

or b. Don’t want to put him in while his son is still a head coach

• Like 1

Carson Wentz's false god failed him again, and now according to Mortinson, the Colts will either trade or release him before he gets a bonus in early March.

Is he just a backup at this point?  Would someone like Pittsburgh make a move for him and hope he figures it out?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Shanahan is going to get in. My guess is they either

a. Don’t think he’s been out long enough and think he could potentially coach another team. Never mind didn’t realize he was 69 and looks about 89 now

or b. Don’t want to put him in while his son is still a head coach

Vermeil getting in confirms Shanahan will see Canton soon. But I guess with coaches, it's like "who's next in line" instead of "who's more deserving"

Vermeil's entry to Canton also confirms a gold jacket for coaches with similar or better careers on the sidelines: George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Ton Coughlin, Sean Payton.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

32 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Carson Wentz's false god failed him again, and now according to Mortinson, the Colts will either trade or release him before he gets a bonus in early March.

Is he just a backup at this point?  Would someone like Pittsburgh make a move for him and hope he figures it out?

I could see him going to Pittsburgh if they can't get Rodgers or Garoppolo. My boss is a Steelers fan and he's already decided if they have to go with Mason Rudolph or Haskins next year they may have a losing record. 

22 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Vermeil getting in confirms Shanahan will see Canton soon. But I guess with coaches, it's like "who's next in line" instead of "who's more deserving"

Vermeil's entry to Canton also confirms a gold jacket for coaches with similar or better careers on the sidelines: George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Ton Coughlin, Sean Payton.

Will Gruden ever get in now, or will he have to do 10 years penance until we forget about all his emails? Holmgren will probably get in, same with Coughlin. But not as administrators because they were both horrible at that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png