NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

Lovie Smith? Is this Texans saying that they can’t fire a black guy without replacing him with one? I get that there’s no way they could sell McCowm, a white guy with no experience, over experienced minority candidates, but when those candidates have mediocre resumes?  Certainly there’s better non-white candidates than Lovie. 

• LOL 1
  • WOAH 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I saw some moron on bleacher report (I know, it’s redundant) comment that Lovie Smith was one of the worst head coaches of all time. I know he wasn’t great, but he got to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. That immediately puts him in the below-average tier at worst, which would skyrocket him above guys like Hue Jackson and Adam Gase. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Lovie Smith? Is this Texans saying that they can’t fire a black guy without replacing him with one? I get that there’s no way they could sell McCowm, a white guy with no experience, over experienced minority candidates, but when those candidates have mediocre resumes?  Certainly there’s better non-white candidates than Lovie. 

A local Houston media guy says it was likely a business move in that it would have been really hard to sell team sponsors on Josh McCown.  If they had hired McCown, NRG Stadium would be a ghost town on Game Day.

37 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

A local Houston media guy says it was likely a business move in that it would have been really hard to sell team sponsors on Josh McCown.  If they had hired McCown, NRG Stadium would be a ghost town on Game Day.

Implying NRG Stadium isn't already a Ghost Town on Game Day. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Rasputin's gonna recycle and repeat next year though.

• LOL 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

12 hours ago, Crabcake said:

I saw some moron on bleacher report (I know, it’s redundant) comment that Lovie Smith was one of the worst head coaches of all time. I know he wasn’t great, but he got to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. That immediately puts him in the below-average tier at worst, which would skyrocket him above guys like Hue Jackson and Adam Gase. 

Those two are F Tier coaches and should be left on the curb with discarded Christmas trees. 

• Like 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, BBTV said:

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Lovie Smith was a good coach for the Bears for the bulk of his tenure.  His faults were in wanting more personnel control which led to crappier defenses, and the offense was being constantly f'd with due to a woeful combination of underperforming quarterbacks and bad offensive coordinators. 

The locker room under him was pretty much pristine.  Players love him, almost to a fault.  I can't speak for how things went for him in Tampa, but the University of Illinois tenure was weird under Lovie, which surprised me.  I thought he'd do well in Champaign, but the recruiting never developed and I don't think he ever commanded guys that young the same way he did in the NFL.  It'd be cool to have him join the NFL again for one more go as Head Coach.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

For the Texans race is immaterial. It's how willing you are to toe Megachurch Rasputin's (thanks to @the admiral for that one) "praise Jesus" line. 

I have no idea what Lovie Smith's religious beliefs are. Smart money is he's at least nominally Christian. And probably willing to play along with Easterby. That's all it takes. 

• Like 1

Lovie is a devout Christian and his treat-players-as-adults approach is one that everyone should be able to respect, even if a Tampa 2 defense hasn't worked in ten years.

• Like 5
  • WOAH 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, Cujo said:

The Giants allegation is the only one with some merit in regards to racism. As we know, when a team targets one specific coach from the get-go, they still go thru the motions, bring in a number of candidates, and "get that Rooney Rule interview out of the way." Now if NY offered the job to Daboll, verbally or in writing, before they interviewed a black candidate, then they really slipped up. All teams have likely done this, but they do it in the correct order, interviewing a minority before making the hire. Why Flores still went to that interview when he knew Daboll is somewhat puzzling, but that's honestly besides the point.

All this being said, I think we can all agree the Rooney Rule is so incredibly flawed. I honestly don't know what the NFL will be able to do to 'fix this', short of forcing teams to hire minority head coaches. Hopefully this lawsuit opens some eyes and progress is made down the road. Unfortunately, Flores, outside of rejoining back to Belichick's staff, will likely be blackballed for speaking up, which also speaks to racism amongst league owners and brass.

You're absolutely right that the Rooney Rule is flawed. It also translates down to how teams communicate with sports media.

Maybe it's always been this way and I never noticed it, but this off-season it seems like the teams are releasing a lot more information on who they're interviewing, or they're freely leaking it to sports media. Basically, it's like they're showing their Rooney Rule receipts. I've followed the Vikings closely, and the list of candidates receiving one interview was remarkably diverse. The list of four finalists came down to two black and two white. At that point, it all looks good.

So before any hirings get announced, as consumers of sports news, we're left to believe that teams are choosing from a robust and diverse pool of candidates.  But so far,  eight of the nine openings have been filled or appear close to being filled, with Lovie Smith as the lone black candidate to be in line for a job. (The Saints have yet to announce a hire.)

If anything, it's an outcome like this that gives more credence to Flores' claims than the actual incidents outlined in his lawsuit. Even if teams truly believe they hired the right people for their jobs, which is fair, at a macro level — where you compare the hired coaches with the pool of interviewees — you can easily see how someone would be left with the impression that there's some level of racism at play. And if not racism, an extreme injustice of another level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

But so far,  eight of the nine openings have been filled or appear close to being filled, with Lovie Smith as the lone black candidate to be in line for a job. (The Saints have yet to announce a hire.)

the guy the Dolphins hired identifies as 25% black, which makes him black enough to net the 49ers two 3rd round compensatory picks for developing a minority coach. 

Basically any team with any white coach on its staff that might be hired away should make them do a Ancestry test and hope that they find some trace of non-white blood so that they can get draft picks.  Or photoshop a family picture and give him a black grandma or great grandmother. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Lovie is a devout Christian

This was 80% of the qualification for the job.

• Hurl 1
  • Yawn 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Is Goodell the most corrupt commissioner in the NFL? Or is he just laughably incompetent? 

Between this, the Zeke suspension, Flores lawsuit, and the obvious fact they're desperately trying to cover up Snyder's history of abuse, the NFL is giving DC a run for it money on who can be more corrupt.  

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1