NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

4 hours ago, CDCLT said:

As fair as I'm aware, the NFL has a rule that states the team's alternate (unless it's a throwback and designated as such) can only be a color that's found on the home or road jersey. It's the same reason the Jets have the stupid black stroke on the numbers - it allows them to make the black alt. The Niners' black one is also different because it was a Color Rush jersey - I believe those were allowed to bend the rules.

The 49ers' black uniforms actually pre-date Color Rush. I think the black in the logo, as well as their history of black drop shadows is what allowed them to have black uniforms.

• Like 3

spacer.png

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

As far as I'm aware, the NFL has a rule that states the team's alternate (unless it's a throwback and designated as such) can only be a color that's found on the home or road jersey. 

Not exactly what the rule is. Every team in their official style guide that is submitted to the league has their accepted colors listed. Unless a color has a specific note that it is to only be used for a certain aspect of the team's identity then any color on the list can be used for any uniform elements be they jersey, pants, helmet or socks. While obviously most of these colors can be found on some aspect of the jersey it isn't the fact that they are on the jersey as to why they can be used. Best example I can give on this is the Ravens. As they list gold which is part of the logo's outline and the letter B on the logo. Since it is listed and not noted to have a specific use only that is how they were able to have the gold pants.
mSNhJre.png

Yellow on the other hand states it is to only be used for the Maryland flag art. The team actually has 2 shades of Purple with one specifically for media material (print or screen use) and helmet decal only.

As for the Niners black is listed in their color pallet with no restrictions which is why it was an accepted option for an alternate jersey even though it isn't used on either the standard home or away jersey.

• Like 6

Technically don't the Vikings have black and 'fleshtone' in their color slick because of the logo. Same I guess would go for the Steelers with the blue and red diamonds in the logo. I'm assuming those might be noted for logo use only. (Although the Vikings use a black facemask now too)

• Like 2

By this logic, pretty much any team could introduce an all-black “Color Rush” look even if black isn’t in their scheme. The league hasn’t made any effort to discourage this pathetic trend in any way, so keep expecting teams to do it.

Look at the Chargers, for instance. Navy and royal aren’t anywhere on their home or away uniform, yet both of these colors are featured as “Color Rush” looks.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:49 PM, burgundy said:

If there's one thing I appreciated about Washington's new uniform reveal, it was their blunt honesty about why they made such a dumb decision.

JaguarGator9, is that you? 😂

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

As fair as I'm aware, the NFL has a rule that states the team's alternate (unless it's a throwback and designated as such) can only be a color that's found on the home or road jersey. It's the same reason the Jets have the stupid black stroke on the numbers - it allows them to make the black alt. The Niners' black one is also different because it was a Color Rush jersey - I believe those were allowed to bend the rules.

Nah, the all black Niners set debuted just before Color Rush... it's easy to forget there's a decent chunk of black in their logo.

Edit: beat me to it, but yeah.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Is this supposed to be a bad thing?

Yes.

1 hour ago, VikWings said:

Technically don't the Vikings have black and 'fleshtone' in their color slick because of the logo. 

The Vikings need to get right on those alternate flesh tone pants.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13

4 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Look at the Chargers, for instance. Navy and royal aren’t anywhere on their home or away uniform, yet both of these colors are featured as “Color Rush” looks.

I think the original rules for Color Rush allowed for teams to use their historical colors, which is how we got the Chargers in royal, Jets in kelly, Saints with old gold, and Rams in athletic gold. So as long as an alternate is designated as "Color Rush" it can use former team colors in a non-throwback uniform.

• Like 8

spacer.png

6 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

By this logic, pretty much any team could introduce an all-black “Color Rush” look even if black isn’t in their scheme. The league hasn’t made any effort to discourage this pathetic trend in any way, so keep expecting teams to do it.

Color Rush has a different set of rules but there are limitation for each team based on their history. Teams can use any design or color from its history and mix and match as they see fit. Current design with historic colors (This is what the Chargers have with both their color rush options)

Historic design with current colors (This is what the Broncos have)

Current design with different color from the current primary options (This is what the Seahawks have with the lime)

A team cannot take a color not in their current set or part of their history and make a uniform with it and call it color rush. So the Rams never had black in their color pallet and as such cannot to my knowledge introduce a black alt of any kind no matter what they label it as. The would need to add black someplace into their existing color pallet to  be  able to have black alts.

There are a decent number of teams that never had black as an option in their color pallet either currently or historically and as such cannot have black alts without adding black someplace in their current options. These 13 teams have no current or historic use of black.

Bears
Bills
Broncos
Browns

Chargers

Dolphins
Giants

Packers
Patriots

Rams
Seahawks
Texans

Titans

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

This alone should influence the NFL to reimplement the one-helmet rule.

Exactly.  So, when people complain there is no Bucco Bruce or Pat Patriot helmet, we show them a meme of Cam Jordan wearing that abomination. "Thanks, Saints."

The Saints’ alternate helmets will be black and feature the fleur-de-lis logo in gold, a reversal of the team’s usual helmet color scheme. The Saints said they will wear the helmets for at least one game, and possibly multiple games, but they have not said which games.

Teams can pair the second helmet with alternate, throwback or Color Rush uniforms, so long as they follow all league policies on ensuring that all alternate helmets are properly fitted, and that all players are provided with sufficient opportunity to wear the alternate helmets in practice prior to wearing them in a game.