NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

The Broncos uniforms not only revolutionized the aesthetics of the NFL, they revolutionized the aesthetics of the whole sport itself, regardless of level. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Miami’s and Oregon’s respective pushes of the aesthetic envelope at the college level came very shortly after the Broncos, and were variations of the same futuristic side panel and number font theme. Then high schools all over America followed suit to the point that nearly every matchup was a “pointy side panel vs. pointy side panel” look for a number of years (and maybe even still today in some cases). 

In terms of sports uniforms that “changed everything”, the Broncos have to be at or near the top. One could argue the Kansas City A’s pivoting to Kelly green and gold everything is up there, with its ushering a sort of color explosion in the 60’s-70’s MLB, and the Charlotte Hornets kicking the teal wave in sports off could be up there too. But the Broncos, at the very least, certainly revolutionized the look of football in a way I don’t think any other team has.

• Like 16

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

48 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The Broncos uniforms not only revolutionized the aesthetics of the NFL, they revolutionized the aesthetics of the whole sport itself, regardless of level. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Miami’s and Oregon’s respective pushes of the aesthetic envelope at the college level came very shortly after the Broncos, and were variations of the same futuristic side panel and number font theme. Then high schools all over America followed suit to the point that nearly every matchup was a “pointy side panel vs. pointy side panel” look for a number of years (and maybe even still today in some cases). 

In terms of sports uniforms that “changed everything”, the Broncos have to be at or near the top. One could argue the Kansas City A’s pivoting to Kelly green and gold everything is up there, with its ushering a sort of color explosion in the 60’s-70’s MLB, and the Charlotte Hornets kicking the teal wave in sports off could be up there too. But the Broncos, at the very least, certainly revolutionized the look of football in a way I don’t think any other team has.

The irony in that is that the revolutionary idea no longer works in practice like it used too (with the main reason being age), but also because the sheer amount of copycats contributed to the dilution of quality in our minds. 25 years ago those jerseys said "futuristic NFL team", and now they evoke fellings of "low-budget high school team".

• Like 5

It created a lot of terrible imitations that weren't strict about matching the side panel with the pants. The Broncos always seemed to take care to ever avoid doing this and it's sad that they're breaking their 25 year perfect streak. 

usatsi_2149598_168388579_lowres.jpg

• Like 11

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Broncos have that thin orange stripe that runs along the blue panel on their away. They should've done it like Miami did back in the early 2000s with the completely matching side panels. This would mean they would have a phantom navy stripe and the thin orange one going down the pant legs. 

SI Vault on Twitter: "One more Sean Taylor pic, at Miami gang-tackling Greg  Jones during a 2003 Miami-FSU game: http://t.co/gDqhKFti93" / Twitter

Or just where the right pants

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Just catching up on the thread.

How did you guys like the Patriots' new silver pants?

Same way I've felt since they got their new uniforms: ditch the blue, only use silver. Perfect.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I remember back in the Super Bowl 50 thread that someone was theorizing Denver might go white on blue for that game, and that the side panels not matching wasn’t that big of a deal. 

They were called out as ridiculous at the time, but in fact were years ahead of their time. 

• LOL 6

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

15 hours ago, Jamesizzo said:

Number fonts are all ugly, weird striping patterns. Ugly ass uniform template as well.

The Panthers numbers are literally their brand font.  The (Commanders) was literally to emulate war paint. Bills is just one big stripe. NFL should hire this guy to design all their jerseys 

• Huh? 2

7 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Broncos have that thin orange stripe that runs along the blue panel on their away. They should've done it like Miami did back in the early 2000s with the completely matching side panels. This would mean they would have a phantom navy stripe and the thin orange one going down the pant legs. 

SI Vault on Twitter: "One more Sean Taylor pic, at Miami gang-tackling Greg  Jones during a 2003 Miami-FSU game: http://t.co/gDqhKFti93" / Twitter

Those hurricane uniforms are their best look 

• Dislike 6

7 hours ago, Sport said:

That's not surprising. The teal flaked helmets were the example of Doing Something Just Because You Can until they went and made the helmets half gold and half black, which made the teal flaked helmets look tasteful in comparison. 

It wasn't because you can do it just because. First off, I fail to see by that logic why every team doesn't just wear white and black plain uniforms. Second the teal flaked helmet was unique while not being overbearing. Most circumstance they just looked like normal black helmets but in light they looked slightly teal. One person here posted about how the Jags uniforms were the best example of the home and away having two different color schemes the best since with the teal jerseys the helmet being teal works but with the white jerseys with black numbers, the black helmet also worked. 

7 hours ago, Sport said:

Those aren't minor changes. The uniform looks the appropriate amount of "brash" while also not looking too silly. Anything extra to "make it complete" would just be unnecessary visual noise and clutter. And we know that because the 2004 uniforms were the same as the current uniforms just with a lot of unnecessary bulls*** thrown on top of it. Those uniform cranked the tiger dial up to 100 and it looked stupid as :censored: for 17 years.  

I disagree. Like I said, and I still stand by it, the current uniforms look too empty and incomplete. It isn't about showing restraint it is about not wasting space. How does adding a logo to the side and moving the 3 stripes to the top make it worse? And I wouldn't say the 2004 uniforms cranked the tiger stripes to 100. Like does this honestly look like having the stripes up to "100"?USATSI_15391758.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

It is three stripes on the sleeves, the same as the current uniforms. My problem with the jerseys was the number font/drop shadow, the B logo and the white side panel (All of which were just holdovers from Reebok). Had they replaced the logo with a Bengals wordmark and change the number font, the uniform would look perfectly fine but once again Nike went too far in over simplifying. Are the Bengals the worst uniforms currently? No but they just aren't striking. 

BTW I would love for the NFL to do what basketball and baseball do and have the home jersey say the team name and away say the city name 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3

20 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

The Panthers numbers are literally their brand font.  The (Commanders) was literally to emulate war paint. Bills is just one big stripe. NFL should hire this guy to design all their jerseys 

What commanders wear war paint? I couldn’t even tell that was a bills uniform I thought it was for the patriots. The NFL and any league and team needs to stay as far away from him as possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I remember seeing those Broncos for the first time and it was like they were instantly a generation ahead of the rest of the league. They looked like Star Trek: the football team and were instantly the coolest team in the league.

That they won two straight titles was serendipitous.

I can't think of any team that had as big a uniform impact since.  Maybe the 2012 Seahawks and their ushering in Nike to NFL uniform design? Or the 2000s Oregon Ducks? And I'm not sure if the Bulls were the first NBA team with a third uniform, but their pinstripe thirds were a big deal too.

The 2000s were when Oregon started being Nike U, but IIRC it was only relatively late in the decade that anybody really started emulating them, at the start of the decade the cool kids imitated Miami.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, dont care said:

What commanders wear war paint? I couldn’t even tell that was a bills uniform I thought it was for the patriots. The NFL and any league and team needs to stay as far away from him as possible.

Certain native american tribe leaders. obviously this was before the rebrand. And the Bills literally use the same colors as the Patriots. So yeah itll look similar. 

• Huh? 1