2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

First thing I thought of (likely because I have this) when I saw Montreal's jersey:

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm honestly pretty annoyed with how safe the Pens went here. They literally just slapped the robopen and a yoke on the third jersey. We now have three black jerseys that have a heavy use of gold as the secondary color. They should've at least swapped the white and gold similar to the 2000-06 jerseys. 

• Like 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Feels like there are a lot more uninspired designs than the last RR release. I really like the Sharks, Caps, Wild, Coyotes, Pens, Rangers, Panthers, Stars, and Ducks (although seeing them with orange pants might change my mind). The Flyers, Red Wings, and Habs are the worst of the bunch, and the rest are just meh.

I feel like if you weren't told that Montreal was doing a nod to the Expos, you would have no idea just from looking at the jersey. The Expos powder blue uniforms featured a lot of red, so I expected the Habs to include more in their design. They should have gone with the vertical racing stripes down the sleeve instead of their standard chest stripe.

Ottawa should have filled the chest swoop stripes with white & made the bottom of the sleeves white to help it stand out from the home jersey a bit more. It feels like since they rebranded they've been afraid of using the 3D logo. I do get it since the fans really wanted to see it gone, but I think people would have been fine if it were just on the front of this jersey. 

Interesting note, but I think the Leafs are the first second team to use the faux-vintage Adidas collar on a non-Winter Classic jersey.

EDIT: They are the first to use it on a Reverse Retro design, but the Bruins were the first to use the collar on a non-WC jersey as @chcarlson23 noted.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Interesting tidbit from the Ducks press release: 

This season's adidas Reverse Retro 2022 ADIZERO jerseys combine some of the most remarkable designs yet - including some colors never seen before on ice. All teams will wear the new jerseys during the 2022-23 NHL® season beginning in November, including a number of adidas Reverse Retro matchup nights, led by the Nov. 2 Pittsburgh Penguins-Buffalo Sabres game at 7:30 p.m. ET on TNT.

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

Ugh the Kraken RR is extremely disappointing.

-No anchor or alternate logo

-The dark blue stripe placement is awkward with the logo

-Block numbers when the font is one of the best things about our branding

-Not metropolitan-related even though people have started wearing Metros throwbacks here

-Not even accurate to the Ironmen

I'm with all this but I still like it.

Mets are being saved for a special game.

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

1 hour ago, aaa333bbb said:

I understand that they are only using the current colors for the Sabres which doesn’t include grey/silver, but if they weren’t going to use it I wish they picked blue as the base. I think it wouldn’t look as bland but maybe not idk

A shoulder yoke, like they used on the original white goathead jersey, would have helped with that.

• Like 2

The Flyers used the wrong Medicine Hat Tigers jersey.

FullSizeRender-3-1024x682.jpg

Ottawa should have gone this route instead.

88411984_614.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 minutes ago, Echo said:

A shoulder yoke, like they used on the original white goathead jersey, would have helped with that.

I agree, but I still think all that extra white inside the logo on top of a white backdrop is too much white. It might stand out more if it was blue.

3 minutes ago, Echo said:

Seems silly that the Sabres plan on wearing their RR on the road for several games, but they're not going to wear it at Washington on 1/3 when they'll be wearing their RRs.

Weird too that the NHL is marketing the Nov 2 PIT @ BUF game as a "reverse retro night" but Pittsburgh isn't scheduled to wear theirs.