2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

All I’m saying is the Capitals new RR just seems vastly uninspired and out of place. Taking the easy way out.

What wouldn't be an easy way out, then? The Caps jersey is very literally a Reverse Retro, it exactly matches the concept of the program; taking a retro design and reversing it to be something not worn before.

Besides, sometimes the obvious choice is just the best choice.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I'd disagree, because that at least had effort put into its design, and generally managed to capture the intent it was aiming for as a melding of their history. This...is just the Fisherman but stripped of literally everything that made fans want it back in the first place except for the logo.

And the main logo has been been changed significantly (Same font size for all letters, removal of most of the teal) and the lighthouse shoulder logo is AWOL.

8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

What wouldn't be an easy way out, then? The :censored:ty CAPS jersey in red? The 70's look in blue? The Capitol in slate or white?

I’ve said my piece and I stand by it:

50 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Give me a “capitaLs” jersey but in blue, black, and gold.

Now that sounds like it’d be a damn good RR to me

The CAPS in red, 70s in blue, and Capitol in slate/white would all just look like fauxbacks or just alternates that look like they never got unveiled at that point in time. Forever collecting dust.

• Dislike 1

Why couldn't they have done this at least?

spacer.png

Or maybe even a bigger nod to the Expos with red numbers?

spacer.png

Either way, still another very strong batch of jerseys overall!

Florida is clearly the winner here, both jerseys are absolutely phenomenal

Detroit managed to f*** it up once again while Toronto have nicely recovered and put out one of the best RR this year after dropping a deuce last year

Some teams got lazy again (ahem, Carolina, NYI and Minny)

Again, only a few stinkers, most of them fall in the good to great range

My top 5

Fla: So good. I'm speechless

Ana: Once again, more Mighty goodness

Was: Again with the screagle but I like this one much better than the red one!

Pit: Should be their primary imo

LAK: Hate to be that guy, but they look so CLEAN

Honorable mentions: Van, Cal, Ari, NJD

Bottom 5

Car: Really didn't understand the assignment and the jersey itself isn't really good either

Det: Yikes. What hasn't been said about those before? How hard was it to reverse the home jersey? Or even away jersey?

CLB: This is uhhhh... why not stinger? Probably my least favorite

TB: Should have been BLACK! Why the hell would they make it white?

NYI: Not THAT bad, just a bit of a disappointment

• Like 1

You can’t look at these-

image-asset.png

and tell me this jersey wouldn’t be a regular part of that rotation

oelmatch1.jpg

That’s not RR. It’s just a forgotten jersey deep in the closet amongst the mothballs.

obvious /s.

@DCarp1231 your point doesn’t make any sense. Of course a reverse of a retro design still feels like a retro design that’s been reversed. That’s the whole point.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

6 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

You can’t look at these-

image-asset.png

and tell me this jersey wouldn’t be a regular part of that rotation

oelmatch1.jpg

That’s not RR. It’s just a forgotten jersey deep in the closet amongst the mothballs.

obvious /s.

@DCarp1231 your point doesn’t make any sense. Of course a reverse of a retro design still feels like a retro design that’s been reversed. That’s the whole point.

spacer.png

(That purple coyotes jersey is completely different compared to the other two)

• Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, rainmaker17 said:

Speaking of mothballs, glad the Stars "mooterus" isn't seeing the light of day. 

The logo was horrible and should be consigned to the history books, no arguement there.
spacer.png
Having said that, while the logo and colours were a long way from pleasant, the striping would probably look decent in the regular stars colours. It's probably the only part of the jersey which could be redeemed.

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

They did take on a specific team, though, because the jersey is very clearly based on the Seattle Ironmen of the PCHA;

spacer.png

Seattle has had so many short-lived minor league hockey teams I can’t fault anyone for forgetting an old one. Most people don’t know the original “Sea Hawks” were  hockey. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

12 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

This is the correct way to do Reverse Retro

spacer.png

This is just a sorry excuse of a forgotten alternate

FfhhkCFXkAAeyMn?format=jpg&name=large

Shame on the Capitals

You guys are weird. For years I have seen people on this board hate on the 90s logos while praising the ATROCIOUSLY UGLY current set. I will sign up for recoloring the old jerseys like that reverse retro. Otherwise I've been waiting LITERALLY over 20 years for them to fix the 90s black jersey by replacing the capitol building with the eagle so imma need you guys to deal with it for a few games just like I've dealt with the Capitals looking like trash while winning a cup; guaranteeing they will continue wearing the garbage current set for another 20 years... :(

1 minute ago, Saturn said:

You guys are weird. For years I have seen people on this board hate on the 90s logos while praising the ATROCIOUSLY UGLY current set. I will sign up for recoloring the old jerseys like that reverse retro. Otherwise I've been waiting LITERALLY over 20 years for them to fix the 90s black jersey by replacing the capitol building with the eagle so imma need you guys to deal with it for a few games just like I've dealt with the Capitals looking like trash while winning a cup; guaranteeing they will continue wearing the garbage current set for another 20 years... :(

who has praised the current set on here? Literally everyone has said it looked dated the second it debuted with ever Edge bell and whistle that existed at the time. Piping, random panels, elimination of hem stripes, ect. The only nice thing ever said about that uniform is “atleast they won a cup in it”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

who has praised the current set on here? Literally everyone has said it looked dated the second it debuted with ever Edge bell and whistle that existed at the time. Piping, random panels, elimination of hem stripes, ect. The only nice thing ever said about that uniform is “atleast they won a cup in it”

I couldnt specifically tell you. I just know its been years of me brewing as I read posters praise the current set; or maybe just the current eagle logo which annoys me to no end because it looks awkward while ive seen others say the 90s eagle logo looks awkward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dont care said:

In either this thread or the 2021-2022 thread I've argued with a few posters who were defending them lol

I'm guessing they grew up and/or started watching hockey during the late 2000s-early 2010s and have fond memories of that era. This is the only rational explanation

• Like 1

As a Blues fan, I love what they did here. I was a little scared that they would just cram another 90s inspired jersey down our throats. The last reverse retro fit the program perfectly, but didn't feel like a Blues jersey. We have had too many red rivals. This feels like it fits with their branding while also being unique and a cool part of team history

NHL Reverse Retro 2022: Every new alternate jersey, ranked 32-1 - The  Athletic

• Like 5
  • Love 1