2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

The ASG unis are beautiful in a vaccuum, but there is not nearly enough contrast. White helmets, different socks, and a different colour for the hem/back of the black jersey would have gone a long way.

• Like 5
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

16 hours ago, nash61 said:

The ASG unis are beautiful in a vaccuum, but there is not nearly enough contrast. White helmets, different socks, and a different colour for the hem/back of the black jersey would have gone a long way.

This was two problems on display at once. By going with two sets of jerseys for each conference instead of one set for each division, you had every player on both wearing the same helmet, socks, and pants, so they wouldn't have to make a full outfit change from the first game to the second.

The second problem was making both uniforms half-white. The originals were teal/white and purple/black, so no matter which way players were facing on the ice, you had a degree of contrast between the teams.

Anyway there should have been teal jerseys and hot pink jerseys and I'm salty about it.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now that vivid colors are in and clunky beveling effects are out, it's time for the downward orange NHL to come back.

This. I'll even take the Reverse Retro version of the current logo. It looks so much better in orange and black.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now that vivid colors are in and clunky beveling effects are out, it's time for the downward orange NHL to come back.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I can definitely do without the metallic gradient but the silver upward version is far superior.

• Like 7

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Pretty rare/unique situation here. A Western Conference All Star Jersey with an Islanders logo on the shoulder.

spacer.png

And the last time Florida hosted the all-star game in 2003, the same thing happened.  Sandis Ozolinsh was traded by the Panthers to the Mighty Ducks before the all-star game, but still ended up playing for the Eastern Conference.

While it would have been nice to have four separate jerseys, I thought the whole look didn't look bad all things considered.  Certainly better than in years past. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 11:24 AM, spartacat_12 said:

The problem with the Rams is that they didn't incorporate bone into any elements of the brand other than the away jersey. They also made the mistake of having pure white design elements on an off-white jersey, which just makes it look even dingier. I think if you have a full uniform set that uses vintage white instead of actual white it can work. I really loved the old Quebec Remparts set, which was based on the old Wild alternate, although they used black helmets with both uniforms.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well if it were up to me they'd remove all the black from their logo/helmets.

Yup, the Remparts look good... for a junior team wearing a recolored Wild template. The standards should be higher for NHL teams

On 2/4/2023 at 3:16 PM, DTConcepts said:

i thought these looks were pretty classy idk

USATSI_17891870-scaled-e1647684615665.jp

cut.jpg

the wild's road jersey, just like both of the ones above, is in a fauxback style. it could totally work in a vintage way, if that makes sense.

The Sabres, I can live with that. Maybe because it's royal blue and the jersey is far from drab despite the vintage white or maybe because it's a one-off game, and it's outdoors, par for the course.  The Blues in 2022 also get a pass for the same reasons.

The navy blue Rangers helmets look terrible and stick out like a sore thumb. Excellent example of a dark helmet completely ruining the whole uniform and looking bush league when paired with a light jersey. In fact, hot take maybe, but that whole uniform is ass. They don't even look like the Rangers

The Sens also looked like a CHL team with those vintage white =0= jerseys with the black helmets

• Like 1
  • Huh? 2

Vintage white should simply not be a primary colour for a jersey. In fact, it has no place in modern NHL colour schemes.

It totally breaks down the colour at home/white on the road* visual harmony that is so beautifully exemplified in the NHL. The white of the ice, combined with the crisp colours with a hint of white found on NHL jerseys. Both teams kinda matching because of it. It just all looks right. The NHL Match-Up threads are chock-full of visual examples of this, so I won't bother posting them here.

*white at home & colour on the road is also acceptable, if not preferable

thecatch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Carolina going rwrw tonight.  I don't think I'd seen it before, but I must be out of the loop because a google search shows them using this combo previously:

1454677052.0.jpg

IMO it's a fine look, but not great against a team like the Caps with so much red in their color scheme.  What are the rules about both teams wearing colored helmets?  The other times I can remember white jerseys with colored helmets in NHL are Buffalo and Detroit reverse retro.

Carolina has also recently gone brbr:

1450188235.jpg

Have we seen bwbw, bwrw, or rwbw?

• Hurl 1

32 minutes ago, _RH_ said:

Carolina going rwrw tonight.  I don't think I'd seen it before, but I must be out of the loop because a google search shows them using this combo previously:

1454677052.0.jpg

IMO it's a fine look, but not great against a team like the Caps with so much red in their color scheme.  What are the rules about both teams wearing colored helmets?  The other times I can remember white jerseys with colored helmets in NHL are Buffalo and Detroit reverse retro.

Carolina has also recently gone brbr:

1450188235.jpg

Have we seen bwbw, bwrw, or rwbw?

They've done that a couple times this season. Hopefully it won't last. They also went with black pants with their road unis. Again, hopefully it won't last

• Like 1

I disagree, the Canes' R/W/R/W is a great look and I hope more teams start wearing colored helmets with their white jerseys. So long as it matches their pant color and provides good contrast with the home team's helmet (like in that picture vs Pittsburgh) the colored helmet look is great.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

The Hurricanes have been wearing the red helmets with their white jerseys for every road game since they started on Jan.1.  For a one time thing, whatever.  But, it just doesn't look right to be the default look and hopefully no other team jumps on this trend.  It's bad enough that their road jersey a wordmark of their shortened nickname, but the team's primary logo isn't even on it.  I would say it's junior league, but even a lot of major junior teams have two sets of helmets now. 

• Like 4