2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

7 hours ago, Conrad. said:

they learned WAY too late that people hate the black / yellow and the boring font.

like many have said here, it's pretty cringe that they are making a big deal out of the purple stuff. openly admitting that they f'ed up with the plain black / yellow redesign. Yeeeesh.

As I’ve asked before: How long does Jazz brass have to wait to rebrand again?

17 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, this is 100% what I’m expecting. 

spacer.png

Should I be concerned that I’ve drawn two Gob Bluth/Ryan Smith parallels in one day? 😬

"My dog stepped on a bee!"

3 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

As I’ve asked before: How long does Jazz brass have to wait to rebrand again?

Could be wrong but I thought it was at least 2 years. 

I also remember reading that statement jerseys are supposed to be worn for 3 seasons but not sure if teams are held to that.

32 minutes ago, DJT said:

I also remember reading that statement jerseys are supposed to be worn for 3 seasons but not sure if teams are held to that.

For some reason, it's in my head that it's 5 years. I could be getting it mixed up with the NFL, but I know when the Pistons switched back to RWB from teal, they did it as soon as they were allowed, and that was 5 years (1996-97 to 2000-01, switching back in 01-02).

As for Statement jerseys, what was released at the time of the Nike takeover in 2017 said Statements could be changed every two years. But with the state of jersey and City Edition madness in the NBA these days, who knows what the rules are or if they're even enforced anymore.

1 minute ago, projectjohn said:

For some reason, it's in my head that it's 5 years. I could be getting it mixed up with the NFL, but I know when the Pistons switched back to RWB from teal, they did it as soon as they were allowed, and that was 5 years (1996-97 to 2000-01, switching back in 01-02).

As for Statement jerseys, what was released at the time of the Nike takeover in 2017 said Statements could be changed every two years. But with the state of jersey and City Edition madness in the NBA these days, who knows what the rules are or if they're even enforced anymore.

The Bobcats only wore their Mavs-ripoff set for 2 years, but they did change their name when they switched.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DJT said:

It's still five years. The Hawks had to wear their crappy neon feather uniforms for 5 seasons (15/16-19/20) before changing to their current look. 

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

So the Jazz unveiled the 97 throwback and a remix and the original NOLA purple throwback for next season. Huh. Interesting. The black, yellow and white is an after thought as expected.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

That video presentation makes it seem as if the new yellow set -- "Dark Mode" as they call it -- is just a series of alternates, with the purple look being primaries. 

Whether that's the case or not, that's clearly how they're positioning it. Also, that video showed another purple throwback that I don't see presented among those graphics. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, projectjohn said:

Oof. I'm generally in favor of minimalism and traditional design, but these aren't it. Reminds me of the Sixers jerseys they switched to right after the AI-era ones (and the slightly updated AI ones) were retired. Just too plain.

908b66f7ffe1f8e45518dbc54932d470b67abf6b

Those had collar and sleeve cuff trim. These don’t.

• Like 2

I honestly did not expect the purple throwbacks as-is, thought it’d just be a re-tooled version for the city edition. That’s really cool! The new classic court is lacking in comparison to the original, but I can live with it.

Also very intrigued that they went ahead and released next year’s city edition AND classic edition (old Pistol Pete purples), as well as committing to a purple alternate of some kind indefinitely. I didn’t expect all of that either. These two color schemes are really going to co-exist as long as Ryan Smith can help it, so….I guess he wasn’t wrong when he said purple was here to stay? 

That being said, the core brand is…not great. The uniforms just seem so generic (the shorts didn’t end up saving the jerseys, nor did the faint blue-grey stripes on the sides) and the color scheme just doesn’t look right for the Jazz. It looks great on the Columbus Crew and Borussia Dortmund, but it just doesn’t look right on us. I’ve blasted these so much in the last couple of months that I really don’t have much else to say than what I’ve already said. 

Anyways, looking forwards to the purple games and merch every year! Aaaand, well, that’s about it. I guess a silver lining here is they did get me excited over 25% of the brand, which is better than none of it.

• Like 5

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png