2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

On 6/9/2022 at 2:31 PM, GriffinM6 said:

a Donald Glover's Atlanta inspired uniform.

I remember there used to be a white guy who pretended to be black who posted here. He had a ten-ton bug up his ass about Milwaukee -- not Milwaukee-as-Bucks-synecdoche but anyone doing anything in Milwaukee -- ever doing anything related to Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, like the city putting up a statue of the Fonz. (Minneapolis has one for Mary Tyler Moore, so maybe this was just a Nick at Nite marketing campaign that really caught on.) And I get it insofar as those sitcoms weren't very good. But because of the broadcasting landscape when they first ran and the life they took on in reruns, I understand them as enduring low-cultural institutions. How many people who have ever lived have seen Atlanta? Hundreds of thousands? Moreover, how many of them don't listen to NPR?

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I had the same thought, but the Wizards/Bullets seem like one of those rare examples of a team with a fairly limited visual history. And presuming they don't want to use the term Bullets, even as a retro, then this original Wizards look is the only one they can call back to with any degree of historical accuracy.

And even if they were OK using the Bullets name, there aren't a ton of options in their history outside of the iconic red-white-blue striped sets that inspired the current modernized look. There's a simple orange/navy look from the late '60s, and the overly simple post-pinstripe uniforms of the early '90s. That's about it 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I can't recall, have they ever gone way back and done a retro as the Chicago Zephyrs? (Wizards jersey timeline.)

spacer.png

18 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I may be misremembering, but I think it’s the 25th anniversary of the name change this coming season, so I think(?) it’s in honor of that. I totally get your point, but if that’s thier reasoning, then I’m cool with it. 

Well, yeah, the options are limited. Actually, I'm pleased to see them wear it, but it would be more interesting if they used the earlier and the initial version of the uniform with bronze color in place of gold, the one MJ played in. Or maybe they will?

12 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I feel like the Clippers really need to own the large abstract sails on the uniform, they look really cool. They’ve never really had a “thing” that was theirs aside from nautical flags in the San Diego days, and the large uniform sails are a thing they could own really well.

I see your point, but ultimately, the Clippers are still in the second-largest media market, however much of a gong show they've been in that time, and I feel like that sort of demands an identity that's low on gimmickry. I've never minded them in red, white, and blue. 

I liked their early '90s stuff:

For Sale: 1993-94 Hoops Los Angeles Clippers Basketball Card #102 Randy  Woods (BA24) | Webstore | Los angeles clippers, Basketball cards, Basketball

I don't think they said "Los Angeles" on the road, though, which would have been a good change to make since the Lakers wouldn't have done that.

• Like 6

On 6/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, fortunat1 said:

I feel that a blue focused Bucks jersey could work, but every attempt by the team so far has shaken my confidence.

They should make a blue version of the cream city set they had a couple of years ago.

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't think they said "Los Angeles" on the road, though, which would have been a good change to make since the Lakers wouldn't have done that.

They had "Los Angeles" on road in 80's:

7d2de6f9ea6d81c9768e621a1e7c87b9.jpg

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

2 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Really briefly tho right?

According to Sportslogos.net, they wore them for two seasons, with a slight tweak in year 2.

It’s a shame Sterling tarnished that look. It’s not bad per se … it’s just very very straightforward. I wish they didn’t jump into their current look so fast.

• Like 2

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

33 minutes ago, kimball said:

It’s a shame Sterling tarnished that look. It’s not bad per se … it’s just very very straightforward. I wish they didn’t jump into their current look so fast.

The look is the least important thing that was tarnished by Sterling.

Would have been an interesting alternate history if the Clippers had adopted the seafoam/creamsicle/silver/black identity, moved to Anaheim in '93, but then went back to normal when the Staples Center opened.

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

11 hours ago, chakfu said:

Really briefly tho right?

87/88-88/89. On first season numbers were blue-white. Los Angeles returns to Clippers jerseys in 2002 on alternate and stayed until 2015 on various shirts (away, alternate, nautical, retro, christmas).

4r2eer.png

14 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

Now that's something I could get behind...

Looks classy, @conrad, but I wonder if it might look better (or not) if the front jersey numbers were: a) larger, b) farther apart from the team name.