2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

Rebrand confirmed in three years. My guess is that the Mountain Throwbacks will be something like Phoenix and their Valley Jerseys being worn most of the time during the season. Next year should be interesting with the real "remix" jersey, as well as this nice Pistol throwback in the modern nike template. 

Screen-Shot-2022-06-17-at-2-01-43-PM.pngg

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, DJT said:

I'm kinda shocked they brought back the exact same mountain jersey they had 2 seasons ago. And i'm assuming they jumped some hoops to get that in again, due to the backlash of the black/yellow.

As for the black/yellow/white "remix", I like those. But having the same striping from the current set is meh to me. I'd prefer no stripes to just a flashy silver (powder snow).

But overall I like it all. The all-star logo on the black court is a nice touch.

Technically 2023 is the 25th anniversary of the 98 Finals appearance so it's allowed.

When they wore it two years again I think the loophole was 25 seasons since the 97 finals.

Just now, VikWings said:

Technically 2023 is the 25th anniversary of the 98 Finals appearance so it's allowed.

When they wore it two years again I think the loophole was 25 seasons since the 97 finals.

Neither of those are championships though. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-relaunch-brand-with-new-uniforms-courts-and-merchandise

From the official release:

“The white and black uniforms symbolize the white and black keys on a piano, a significant element in the history of Jazz music.”

Well, okay. But then this nugget:

“The yellow jersey represents the spotlight designated to the greatest performers in history, a nod to the fact that Utah embraces being in the spotlight with all eyes watching.”

spacer.png

That’s officially the dumbest justification for a color I’ve ever heard. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 25
  • Huh? 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

mws_uj_black_front.pngmws_uj_white_front-00149.pngmws_uj_yellow_front-00149.png

These are so boring that it makes me yawn and sleepy

1 hour ago, TaylorMade said:

mws_uj_purple_front-00149.png

Let me guess. They noticed that rebrand got backlash from fans so they panically asked NBA if they can use 19/20 throwback once again (I bet they have many blank leftovers in storage)? Of course like I said in one post there is a 25th anniversary of first Conference Champions but @Conrad. you should know if this uni was planned or not.

Next season City is very good which is suprising looking at black-yellow abomination. Retro is great too I like their first wordmark.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

Question for those Jazz fans or anyone else more in the know: Are those purple mountain throwbacks super popular? 

I mean, I'm glad they went with some sort of throwback, but I'm a little disappointed it isn't the more simple Maravich/early Karl Malone/Frank Layden-era Jazz unis, which I prefer. 

And the newly crowned winner of the ugliest uniforms in the NBA are...the UTAH JAZZ!

Nba Playoffs Sport GIF by NBA

EDIT: They revealed the global/primary logo now on the NBA Store as well and, lord, what have they done to you...you poor poor note.

W1c0Zea.png

Edited by Mattyice
  • Like 6
  • LOL 3

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Question for those Jazz fans or anyone else more in the know: Are those purple mountain throwbacks super popular? 

I mean, I'm glad they went with some sort of throwback, but I'm a little disappointed it isn't the more simple Maravich/early Karl Malone/Frank Layden-era Jazz unis, which I prefer. 

I won’t speak for every Jazz fan, but I will say that 1) I grew up with these uniforms, so I’m extremely nostalgic for them and know many other Jazz fans my age who are too, 2) when they wore it a couple of years ago, I saw just as much mountain gear worn around Utah as redrock gear (which was a lot), and 3) it’s thier “glory years” uniform, so there’s a lot of fond memories with it.

Granted, there are a few fans out there who don’t like it, but from what I observe, it’s a pretty popular uniform. Especially with my age group (late 20’s/early 30’s).

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Utah, if you wanted to pivot last minute, why not make a white mountain City jersey (like the 2023 one) and wear that at home and the throwback in the road? Even if alternates can only be worn up

to 30-ish times each, that’s 60/82 games where you are wearing purple. Hypothetically, that would suffice until they could relaunch the rebrand in 2-5 years.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Let me guess. They noticed that rebrand got backlash from fans so they panically asked NBA if they can use 19/20 throwback once again (I bet they have many blank leftovers in storage)? Of course like I said in one post there is a 25th anniversary of first Conference Champions but @Conrad. you should know if this uni was planned or not.

I’m curious about that too, because the throwbacks have just the swoosh and not the NIKE+swoosh like this years’ classic editions are supposed to have. Definitely seems on the surface like old stock rather than a “new” classic edition. 

On that subject, I’m not clear if these are categorized as city edition or classic edition this year. The official release seems to kind of dodge that.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I won’t speak for every Jazz fan, but I will say that 1) I grew up with these uniforms, so I’m extremely nostalgic for them and know many other Jazz fans my age who are too, 2) when they wore it a couple of years ago, I saw just as much mountain gear worn around Utah as redrock gear (which was a lot), and 3) it’s thier “glory years” uniform, so there’s a lot of fond memories with it.

Granted, there are a few fans out there who don’t like it, but from what I observe, it’s a pretty popular uniform. Especially with my age group (late 20’s/early 30’s).

Adding on to this, purple seems to be broadly popular.

During the double blue era, the 80's green and purple throwbacks were *very* popular. Easily contributed to the revival of the J-Note.

We're now 10 years+ down the road and playing to a different nostalgia base. So the purple is interpreted through the 90's lens now.

In 10 years will Jazz fans be clamoring for baby blue throwbacks? Certainly if we can't get the brand nailed down.

The solution seems so patently obvious (just combine the J-Note with the 90's colors, maybe tweak the sky blue to line up with the 00's) that I'm honestly surprised it's been veered around so much at this point.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

1 hour ago, sharplcd said:

spacer.png

If only the whole rebrand was centered around this! 

I'm stunned that there isn't more talk about this uniform. The base of it is insanely good. They should just switch the black with sky blue or teal and they would have their perfect uniform for forever.

• Like 18

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Looking at the black, volt and white...I gotta applaud the Jazz here.  They've managed to create something that has brought the OKC Thunder's long stranglehold on Worst Uniforms in the NBA to a screeching end. 👏

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • LOL 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

19 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Looking at the black, volt and white...I gotta applaud the Jazz here.  They've managed to create something that has brought the OKC Thunder's long stranglehold on Worst Uniforms in the NBA to a screeching end. 👏

Here's my theory: This is similar to what the Hawks did when they unveiled volt. They basically said, the red and the pac man logo is here to stay, but we're going to mess around with everything else over time -- remember, volt was being pushed hard by Nike at the time. My guess is that the Jazz are trying to do the same thing. They simplified the note logo, started slipping in purple after the leaks got horrible reception, and over time are going to stick with the 'minimal' logo and purple and tweak (or overhaul lol) everything else around it like the Hawks have.

But here's the issue:

These jerseys feel like a prototype that someone rushed because they forgot. They clearly put thought into their future purple jersey (which is a cool take on the classic they'll be shoehorning in this season), so why would they create a brand around it that's do disconnected? The black, white, and yellow lacks any personality or visual excitement, unless glowing in the dark and looking like a highlighter is your idea of a good time. The side cutoff stripes on each jersey is... I guess a callback to their previous cutoff striping, but is so subtle and such an afterthought that even that feels thrown in?

Unlike the Hawks, they brought nothing interesting to their primary 3 jerseys. At least the Hawks tried with the feather pattern and color combos. And while they failed, they've been consistent with some variation of red, yellow, black ever since. That is the Hawks now after their dalliance with red, navy, and silver.  Whereas this is practically a paint by numbers, straight out of the catalog, rejected by Oregon/Baylor practice uni collection.

Curious to see how sales are this season for the Utah Jazz.

• Like 5

Very excited to see the first game with the Jazz in yellow and black and see the crowd in a sea of purple, red rocks, and navy blue. What a stupid rebrand. I give it two, three years tops before they rebrand around their excellent city jersey set for next season.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt