2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

7 hours ago, MackAttack said:

super unpopular opinion would be an understatement but I like Utah's new jerseys, except the highlighter yellow one. The black jerseys would look great at home on the all black court. I like the simplicity and the merch is clean as well.

Was about to come say the same. I wasn't supposed to like this new Jazz identity, but I really do. The yellow uni included. They did a good job. Kudos.

Even the note logo, which I didn't care about at all, strikes really differently well in this identity. A lot also has to do with the fact that the previous identity with all its variations was very trivial with the logos and the color palette.

The Cavs' unis are the worse ones compared, it's just a plain blank set with logos slapped on, apart from the black one which stands its ground somewhat thanks to the use of three colors.

• Like 1

Eh, one preseason and two games in, I’m still not a fan of the Jazz rebrand. The new black-accented court is kind of dreary-looking  too, especially with the black seats in the stands (installed a couple years ago). I’m sure the intention was to look “sleek” or “clean” or whatever, but it looks really dull instead. It could be that I’m still used to Kelly green seats at the arena and Jazz courts bringing either a lot or “enough” color into the arena, as opposed to what they have now.

Of the new uniforms, the only one I’ve (just slightly) warmed up to most is the black one, only because black is a much better background for the yellow to work on. The massive football jersey numbers are still goofy, though. Seeing it in action now, the white jersey suffers from yellow being a really jarring trim color when placed atop white, it’s too bright and doesn’t work nearly as well on white as it does on black. 

I doubt the yellow uniform is going to change my mind when it hits the court. That thing’s just doomed. It doesn’t help it’s case either that there were local beat writer rumblings that the Jazz were maneuvering to wear it as little as possible in favor of more purple games.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Eh, one preseason and two games in, I’m still not a fan of the Jazz rebrand. The new black-accented court is kind of dreary-looking  too, especially with the black seats in the stands (installed a couple years ago). I’m sure the intention was to look “sleek” or “clean” or whatever, but it looks really dull instead. It could be that I’m still used to Kelly green seats at the arena and Jazz courts bringing either a lot or “enough” color into the arena, as opposed to what they have now.

I doubt the yellow uniform is going to change my mind when it hits the court. That thing’s just doomed. It doesn’t help it’s case either that there were local beat writer rumblings that the Jazz were maneuvering to wear it as little as possible in favor of more purple games.

To piggy back off what you're saying...

- The Jazz arena seats are actually navy blue. Some within the first few rows are indeed black, but I agree, the new court does seem a little darker and I never thought of it as looking "dreary" , but I totally see that now.

- From the Jazz uniform schedule, they are playing in their "spotlight/yellow" uniforms only 10 times this year. The least amount of the four uniforms. Their classic/city mountain and black/statement uniforms will be worn the most. 

The awkwardly low wordmark is historically accurate for the Warriors Run-TMC throwbacks, which I guess was really forward-thinking of them for a future of patches worthy of a Nascar suit.

Also accurate is the number font, which caught me off-guard last night -- looked like a weird 80s sci-fi font from far away, I guess in my mind I misremembered these jerseys as having just basic block. But no, it's a pretty strange one! 

8945006.jpeg 

• Like 8

The old Warriors numbers looked like something a shop had on hand, and the decision-maker just wanted something more rounded than block but more formal than Helvetica, and that's what was there. It doesn't look designed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 10/19/2022 at 8:15 AM, BBTV said:

that’s a good question. I noticed that with the Celtics too. Perhaps it’s only when they get a new physical floor, and not simply change the center logo? According to google searching (I know), physical floors are replaced around every 10 years, though one team (didn’t say who) has received waivers and has had the same primary physical floor for 19. 

I’m sure Conrad or AH would know more. 

Might not be a rule at all. The Orlando Magic have switched back to a two toned paint after years with only one color + no college lines.

Hoping this starts a trend honestly

• Like 6

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

Bulls still have the college lines, which is good, because courts look weird without them. They also allow for more secondary color in the key, as you see with Orlando there.

• Like 8

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Warriors number font is older than NBA itself: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beton_(typeface)

BTW it's funny that 2K still have such a problem to replicate it.

2k23 has the number font correct on this year’s Warriors Classic jerseys, but they’ve used something close to City Bold for the historic jerseys for years. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

2k23 has the number font correct on this year’s Warriors Classic jerseys, but they’ve used something close to City Bold for the historic jerseys for years. 

They've used Friz Quadrata too for those jerseys. It's weird since Beton isn't any sepcial custom font or something. Maybe after this season 2k finally manage to get those numbers right on retros.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, Digby said:

This is just a concept, not a real thing. Thankfully.

Was gonna be very disappointed if it was real. All the beautiful city jerseys we've had and now we decided to make a court to accompany the worst uniform we've ever had.

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

On 10/22/2022 at 8:57 PM, NeauXone said:

Might not be a rule at all. The Orlando Magic have switched back to a two toned paint after years with only one color + no college lines.

Hoping this starts a trend honestly

Unfortunately, this isn't the primary court. It was made specifically to match the new blue uniforms, with black pinstripes in the blue part of the paint and sublimated stars in the black. Either way though, it looked great.

• Like 4

ExJworW.png

10 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Unfortunately, this isn't the primary court. It was made specifically to match the new blue uniforms, with black pinstripes in the blue part of the paint and sublimated stars in the black. Either way though, it looked great.

well that’s a shame. i don’t see why they should waste their time reassembling a court  just to make it look slightly different (a slight difference that does go a long way though.) it’s a really nice looking design. i love the contrasting. i love the pinstripes that are obviously a part of their brand. always felt like the standard magic court was missing something.

• Like 1