2022 International Soccer

MJWalker45

23 hours ago, Digby said:

The Eriksen thing was the scariest thing I’ve ever seen during a sporting event and I couldn’t stop thinking about it watching other games, honestly.

It reminded me of Marc Vivian-Foe at the Confederations Cup, I believe 2005? Watching that, I appreciate what Eriksen's teammates did because Vivian-Foe wasn't given the same respect or level of assistance. 

Netherlands/Ukraine had a beautiful second half and Dumfries saved Frank de Boer from wearing egg on his face after the Dutch blew a 2-0 lead. England played football today and that's pretty much all you can say about them today. Southgate not playing Shaw or Chill well at LB, instead putting a MF back there was dumb as hell. Fortunately Croatia had no teeth today.

Copa America opened today and it took Brazil a minute to get past Venezuela. We're back to crowd noise being pumped back in to stadiums. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-america/story/4409129/copa-america-41-new-covid-19-positive-cases-among-playersstaffworkers

Proving that playing a tournament in a Covid hotspot is the greatest idea ever, 41 people associated with the tournament, including 31 players, have been diagnosed with coronavirus. They've not even made it to a week yet. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

55 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/copa-america/story/4409129/copa-america-41-new-covid-19-positive-cases-among-playersstaffworkers

Proving that playing a tournament in a Covid hotspot is the greatest idea ever, 41 people associated with the tournament, including 31 players, have been diagnosed with coronavirus. They've not even made it to a week yet. 

CJ from GTA San Andreas quote.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/austria-aut/story/4410857/austrias-marko-arnautovic-banned-for-goal-celebration

Arnautovic of Austria banned for cussing out a couple players after scoring. North Macedonian team says  he also racially disparaged a member of the team who is ethnic Albanian. I figured something was up when Alaba grabbed him by the mouth.

Uefa to investigate Marko Arnautovic remarks in North Macedonia game | Euro  2020 | The Guardian

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Sort of on track with this topic; wife is watching the US/Nigeria women's friendly which is formally opening up the new Austin MLS stadium. Sat down  to watch a bit myself, and I have to say that is one nice looking SSS.

It is what it is.

7 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Great game by Scotland yesterday. They had the better opportunities against the Three Lions. I really hope both will advance to the next round!

Scotland looked good. The defense shut England's attack down. I just wish they had any type of scoring ability. England will most likely get through with 4 points but they have not looked particularly good in either match.

10 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I remember looking forward to a competitive Portugal/Germany game.

To be fair, Portugal scored 4 goals today so far, two just happened to be in their own net.

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

I still have no idea who will win this tournament. There seems to be no real favorite thus far. I'm hoping for England though, but I'm guessing Italy.

Until Southgate moves away from playing too safe with his squad, England will settle for another third-place finish judging from the first two group stage games.

In this era of football, offense-based tactics are more likely to win you games (and attract crowds, too). Especially when you can successfully capitalize on good chances.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Spain went up 3-1, just to give up the tying goal in added time. i really feel like that wouldn't have happened with David De Gea in goal. Especially the own goal that popped over Simon's foot and into the net. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So Spain went up 3-1, just to give up the tying goal in added time. i really feel like that wouldn't have happened with David De Gea in goal. Especially the own goal that popped over Simon's foot and into the net. 

It's 5 - 3 now, and overtime ain't over yet.

And Croatia nearly scored the 5 - 4.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

11 minutes ago, Berlin Wall said:

It's 5 - 3 now, and overtime ain't over yet.

And Croatia nearly scored the 5 - 4.

I'll say it's probably the most entertaining game of the tournament, though it's been pretty sloppy all around. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I wonder if scripts get stolen between teams in the European championships, because this game between France and Switzerland is going the same way Croatia and Spain went..

Spain was up 3-1 in the 2nd half, the Croatia scored twice late to send it to extra time when Spain decided that enough was enough and scored twice to put the pesky Croats away 5-3.

Now, the same thing is happening here: France was up 3-1 in the 2nd half only for the Swiss to come roaring back to tie the game.