2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

1 hour ago, DoctorWhom said:

You see, if the NFL wasn't greedy and added an extra week, pushing back the schedule wouldn't be as big a deal. 

As it is, I get why they would want to push it back a week, but by the same token, I don't like the idea of teams losing a needed bye week before the Super Bowl. 

I fail to see how the extra week (or lack thereof) matters at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Interesting. If KC ends up with the 1 seed, they're looking at 2 weeks off, which sounds sub-optimal at this point.

And if neither Buffalo or Cincinnati get the 1 seed, then they're suiting up one extra week that other teams aren't, which also sounds sub-optimal.

I'm beginning to think that if KC loses to LV and Cincinnati beats Baltimore, then throwing out the Bills/Bengals game is the best outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

52 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I don’t think there’s any resolution to this that isn’t going to piss a bunch of people off. Whether they should be pissed off or not, it’s going to happen that someone is going to lose out. I’d just take the bye week away from the Conference Championship Games and Super Bowl and play the Bills/Bengals game when the Wild Card weekend would normally be. Seems like the solution with the fewest problematic elements.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I don’t think there’s any resolution to this that isn’t going to piss a bunch of people off. Whether they should be pissed off or not, it’s going to happen that someone is going to lose out. I’d just take the bye week away from the Conference Championship Games and Super Bowl and play the Bills/Bengals game when the Wild Card weekend would normally be. Seems like the solution with the fewest problematic elements.

100 percent.

I think the NFL is going to be too cute about this. They have a bye week in the schedule; use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

is the Super Bowl set in stone at this point (since moving it would cause a lot more problems at this point).  its not like after 9/11 when they moved the Super Bowl back a week (they had 4 months basically to figure it out).  i know there was some issue at that point but they were able to solve it without to much problems (as in here, we have 6 weeks until the game)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

10 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

is the Super Bowl set in stone at this point (since moving it would cause a lot more problems at this point).  its not like after 9/11 when they moved the Super Bowl back a week (they had 4 months basically to figure it out).  i know there was some issue at that point but they were able to solve it without to much problems (as in here, we have 6 weeks until the game)

I'm 99.9% positive that I've read that there's always contingencies for the SB, even if it's just making sure that the host venue is available the week after.  I can't confirm that.

They're going to balance the financial ramifications of any decision first, then the competitive-balance ramifications, then the fan reaction last (of course).

My guess is that moving the SB because of one unplayed game wouldn't be worth it.  There's a ton of money already invested in SB weekend, and they probably only trigger whatever insurance they have if there's a natural disaster like a hurricane or a terrorist threat or something (just going by what I've read about sports insurance.)

Eliminating the bye week also has financial ramifications, as ESPN and whatever networks pay to have daily coverage and that stupid-ass "media day" thing.  It also probably hinders their partners from getting promotions set up in the cities playing in the game, and doesn't give people enough time to mortgage their house to buy a fraudulent game package to attend the game (but again, the fans are the last on the priority list.)

Having them play mid-week games is a really bad look since playing on fewer than 7 days rest could be a safety concern and they're in this situation due to a (fluke, but still) safety issue.

Every idea I've read has enormous ramifications.  I'm very glad I'm not in the position of signing off on whatever they do. 

I even read that one possibility was that they could use a randomizer to determine seeding!  (I forget where I read that but I think it was from a reliable source, though who knows what's "reliable" anymore?)

In the absolutely tragic - but fortunately unlikely - event that there's a negative outcome for the player, then all bets are off because playing at all would be insensitive.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Every idea that involves replaying the game is rather murky. My suggestion is to just call the game a tie and continue onwards. I doubt the Bills and Bengals players want to play at all anytime soon, and a rematch would only trigger memories of said incident. A tie seems like the only fair way to not replay the game.

• Like 2

Every option is bad. There are no good solutions. I think the least bad solution is call it no contest and worry about seeding after Week 18. It doesn't ask the Bills or Bengals to reconvene, repreprare, and then play whats essentially an 18th game. It's also the most practical for everyone's scheduling and requires no scheduling/logistic gymnastics. It screws the Bengals and Bills out of shots at the 1 seed, but that's why I'm saying it's the Least Bad solution - they all have drawbacks. I'm not that worried about Ravens feelings because a Bengals Win, Loss, Tie, or other against the Bills was out of the Ravens' control anyway. They controlled their destiny to make the game with the Bengals into the AFCN championship game and they lost at home to the Steelers. If we're ranking how unfair the situation is for the impacted teams I'd put them a distant third. It's not like they'll be eliminated from the playoffs as a result. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I even read that one possibility was that they could use a randomizer to determine seeding!  (I forget where I read that but I think it was from a reliable source, though who knows what's "reliable" anymore?)

I saw that too and I came up with this idea. If week 18 doesn't solve the issues (hopefully it will), the NFL uses the randomizer to remove one game from the schedules of KC and Baltimore so that all the teams involved have played the same number of games. Then we go to playoff tiebreakers - head to head, common opponents, etc., and settle it that way. It's yet another bad idea in a sea of bad ideas, but it may be the one with the least bull-:censored:

• Hurl 1

BB52Big.jpg

9 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Am I the only one that always thought the Super Bowl bye week was dumb regardless? I feel like it halts the momentum of the playoffs more than it builds hype. I don't see why the teams couldn't just fly to the game city Tuesday and still have the media week if it's so important.

The teams want that extra week to rest up players, have more time to game plan, deal with all of the logistics of playing in a Super Bowl and so on.

• Like 1