2023 World Baseball Classic

raysox

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I'm British and the "T" falling off is how I learn we have a national baseball team. That may be ignorance on my part but probably shows how well the sport is covered here.

I don't follow baseball too closely but thanks to my time on these boards I at least have an understanding of the aesthetics and what makes a uniform work - the only part I don't get is why road uniforms are usually grey, but I guess that's one of baseball's traditions. With that said; Great Britain has one of the most half-arsed uniforms I've ever seen, and it's also exactly what I'd expect from them.

The gray is tradition  - they used white at home and gray on the road because there were less laundry facilities on the road in the early 20th century. 

• Like 7

Anubis.png

10 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

I'm British and the "T" falling off is how I learn we have a national baseball team. That may be ignorance on my part but probably shows how well the sport is covered here.

I don't follow baseball too closely but thanks to my time on these boards I at least have an understanding of the aesthetics and what makes a uniform work - the only part I don't get is why road uniforms are usually grey, but I guess that's one of baseball's traditions. With that said; Great Britain has one of the most half-arsed uniforms I've ever seen, and it's also exactly what I'd expect from them.

On one broadcast, the announcers were talking about how the national program only had a $25,000 budget.  Not sure if that was in dollars or pounds.  

On 3/12/2023 at 4:24 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's true. But the Olympics  uses "Great Britain" to refer to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So this is probably the case in this tournament, as well.

I thought the GB moniker was used in some international competitions because in those Ireland competed as one team, like Korea has done numerous times.

I loved the old China mark, but I think the new one fits better.  I think Blackletter should be used for a European nation with a lot of cultural stuff going on at the time such fancy lettering was used.  Germany seems like the immediate choice given the whole Gutenberg thing, but I think whoever said Italy is on the money.  Rennaissance powerhouse.  Has a bland letter that's hard to make a good logo out of (although the red-outlined one was not bad).  Perfect.  Not that the cursive I wouldn't be bad.  I never had a problem understanding Cleveland's old caps and... I doubt they want to try enforcing any ownership of that mark.  But I think the Blackletter is better.

I saw the Canada jerseys in action and thought "They just went with the Toronto Canada Days?  And then I saw the Israel blue jerseys and said "Oh, there they are.  They just did Toronto."

And when at the start it was said the Dutch unis looked familiar, I thought we were all on the same page that they looked like they were stamped on butter cookies.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 hours ago, M4One said:

On one broadcast, the announcers were talking about how the national program only had a $25,000 budget.  Not sure if that was in dollars or pounds.  

Either way, it's still not a lot. $GBP 25,000 = $30,487 USD

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:
On 3/12/2023 at 4:24 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

the Olympics  uses "Great Britain" to refer to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So this is probably the case in this tournament, as well.

I thought the GB moniker was used in some international competitions because in those Ireland competed as one team

It is indeed the case that athletes from Northern Ireland can choose to complete at the Olympics either for Ireland or for Great Britain. But I don't think that that is connected to the Olympic convention of using the name "Great Britain". The same option for athletes from Northern Ireland could perfectly well exist even if the Olympics used the name "United Kingdom".

2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I loved the old China mark, but I think the new one fits better.  I think Blackletter should be used for a European nation with a lot of cultural stuff going on at the time such fancy lettering was used. 

I can understand the point that Old English or Blackletter script is more associated with European countries than with China. But I look at that lettering as part of traditional baseball design, and I strongly suspect that China chose it on that basis.

I am thankful that I was able to get a China hat with the Old English initial. And, unlike with my Italy hat, I bought the China in the right size, so I can actually enjoy wearing it.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

18 hours ago, raysox said:

d9e689002d01070aa0e65727bb8cdb40.jpg

Huh...  So the US has always had overly "cutesy" looks over classic, huh?

I agree with the earlier calls.  The US for its role in the history of the game should have a very traditional look.  The only problem with the simple block linked letters that they should have is that the Dominican has already planted their flag there.  I think something more classic with a star can work well, but then you step on the Astros' toes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 hours ago, raysox said:

I think I found my favorite Cuba look - from the 1992 olympics

8186e038-9e83-f5e6-028c-a3cb537fc5ca.jpg

Couple good ones in there actually
0c8.jpg?1

1992%E5%B9%B4%E5%B7%B4%E5%A1%9E%E9%9A%86

d9e689002d01070aa0e65727bb8cdb40.jpg

Make the USA navy and the uniform (other than the hat) would be acceptable.  That hat is something else.

Looks better than when they were the American Expos:

oddibe-mcdowell-playing-baseball-usa-vs-

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/17/2023 at 1:02 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I loved the old China mark, but I think the new one fits better.  I think Blackletter should be used for a European nation with a lot of cultural stuff going on at the time such fancy lettering was used.  Germany seems like the immediate choice given the whole Gutenberg thing, but I think whoever said Italy is on the money.  Rennaissance powerhouse.  Has a bland letter that's hard to make a good logo out of (although the red-outlined one was not bad).  Perfect.  Not that the cursive I wouldn't be bad.  I never had a problem understanding Cleveland's old caps and... I doubt they want to try enforcing any ownership of that mark.  But I think the Blackletter is better.

You're on to something here in a roundabout way: China should just steal the Indians' intellectual property and pretend not to listen when people point it out

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

Make the USA navy and the uniform (other than the hat) would be acceptable.  That hat is something else.

Looks better than when they were the American Expos:

oddibe-mcdowell-playing-baseball-usa-vs-

I actually love this look, but I'd prefer if the racing stripes had a white stripe separating the red and blue. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Did anyone else catch that the WBC bat boys appear to be wearing the same template as the red GB jerseys, just in blue with the WBC logo?

Yep. That's a Nike stock teamwear jersey that got pulled off the shelf for a third option. 

https://niketeam.nike.com/en/en_US/nts/pdp/style/DM0773-453

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Did anyone else catch that the WBC bat boys appear to be wearing the same template as the red GB jerseys, just in blue with the WBC logo?

That is the catalogue Nike button up jerseys, which is what GB have. The Grey jerseys are in the same template, just have the same color sleeve inserts. This style is available for baseball and softball teams to order. 

On 3/12/2023 at 7:23 PM, coco1997 said:

np_file_214741.jpeg

EDIT: I guess my one nitpick with Japan is the use of red on the caps when it doesn't appear anywhere on the rest of their uniforms. 

The pinstripes on this uniform are actually red. I see it while watching the game tonight during closeups.

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Cool sketches by Todd for the WBC, although I feel like the new logo is a nice step forward.

I like the new logo, but it’s missing the baseball from Todd’s original design. Nothing about the new logo in & of itself says “baseball” anymore. 

• Like 5