MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

18 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

I hope the Phillies drop the red alt, though I do like them, the cream alt's are great and have to stay. Dropping the gray gives them no 2nd choice for contrast unless they wear the light blue throwbacks on the roads (which wouldn't be too bad since that was their original desognation) but the grays have such history to them as well and look fine.

Yeah the red is stupid - it's a glorified spring training top.  I hate it.  So if it takes this new rule to get rid of it?  Then I happily bow to my Nike masters.

If they were to drop gray and go throwbac ont he road full time, then you've got the problem of having not only completely different home/road looks, but they're from totally different eras too.  I kinda think once you go that route, there's no going back, and you have to commit to eventually going throwback full time - which is 1,000,000% not happening (not that it was ever a thought in their minds, but they're investing so much in new signage to go along with the new football-field-sized scoreboard that there's simply no way they're changing for another decade - if even then.)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, the admiral said:

I wouldn't mind the Mariners doing something modern, or as modern as one can get within the conservative constraints of a baseball uniform. I don't want everyone to be the Tigers. The '90s set just feels worn out at this point.

10 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Mariners' look from the '80s was under-appreciated. The use of lower-case letters, the Expos-like sleeve and shoulder striping, the trident M were all unique. 

I could see some of those ideas reapplied in a Padres/Twins-esque update. The trident and nautical star symbols can easily work together as part of a branding package.

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

But taking something that blends together the team's various eras, including that excellent and often overlooked '80s look, could be successful. 

8 hours ago, BBTV said:

There's been several concepts that have been posted over the years that were great modernizations of this set, but in current colors.

The trident look was really good before they mucked it up by throwing a star behind it.  They could easily turn it back into an iconic modern look that could last for decades.

Shameless plug of my attempt to combine the original wordmarks/striping with the navy & teal Northwest Green while keeping things modern:

I agree that navy & teal needs to be kept, but that everything else, especially the logos/wordmarks, desperately needs an update. Their original logos had some promise, & feel prime for a modern refresh.

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I too feel the Mariners should stick to their navy and Northwest green look. I used to not love it, my argument being that the Northwest green looks too muted next to navy (and I still feel that way judging solely by the way the color looks online) but my God, does it come to life under the proper lighting

I've always thought that the digital rendering of Northwest Green looked way too dark, especially compared to how it looks in action. The Mariners themselves have even seemed to use a lighter shade on their social media (here's just a recent example):

Something like that would look a lot better in digital applications.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

It seems that Braves fans, at least, are struggling to understand what counts to the four uniforms. They also don't know that the cream uniform was dropped last season to get down to four uniforms. 

https://www.batterypower.com/2023/1/30/23577291/nike-four-mlb-jerseys-atlanta-braves

After a Braves writer I follow posted last night that the team was going to have to drop the 70s throwbacks because of the new rule, I asked him if he knew that for certain, since the throwbacks are not actually an alternate. Did he have any inside information on whether Nike’s 4+1 rule included throwbacks worn for a single game or series, like the Braves 70s throwbacks?

I contrasted the Braves throwbacks—which again, are not an alt—with the Phillies baby blue throwbacks which ARE an alternate.

His response? 

Sent me a screenshot from Creamer’s article, which offers absolutely no context regarding throwbacks. Other bloggers have followed suit, despite similarly having no other information other than what we know.

Useless.

• Facepalm 1

Is the 4+1 thing an actual MLB rule, or just a suggestion from the uniform vendor?

If the Phillies wanted to keep their cream set and power blue throwback set -- which are really cool and seems like fans like them -- can they tell the vendor, "Thanks for the suggestion, but we're good?"

1 hour ago, Metsguyinmichigan said:

Is the 4+1 thing an actual MLB rule, or just a suggestion from the uniform vendor?

If the Phillies wanted to keep their cream set and power blue throwback set -- which are really cool and seems like fans like them -- can they tell the vendor, "Thanks for the suggestion, but we're good?"

Like said, they only have to get rid of their red road alternate (that was originally a spring training jersey) to have 4 uniforms.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

Like said, they only have to get rid of their red road alternate (that was originally a spring training jersey) to have 4 uniforms.

I didn't state my question clearly. Apologies. Take the Phillies out of it. Is the 4+1 an MLB rule, or a Nike suggestion? Are teams bound to it, or can they do as they please?

1 hour ago, Metsguyinmichigan said:

Is the 4+1 an MLB rule, or a Nike suggestion? Are teams bound to it, or can they do as they please?

The 4+1 is a new rule being imposed by Nike. Teams are now allowed a maximum of four jerseys, not counting their City Connects. Teams impacted by this new rule get to choose which jersey(s) to drop, so a team could theoretically decide to ditch its home whites, though I have a hard time imagining any team choosing to do so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

The 4+1 is a new rule being imposed by Nike. Teams are now allowed a maximum of four jerseys, not counting their City Connects. Teams impacted by this new rule get to choose which jersey(s) to drop, so a team could theoretically decide to ditch its home whites, though I have a hard time imagining any team choosing to do so. 

And if ever there were an example of the tail wagging the dog, this would be it...aggrandizement of the highest order.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nike loves a system. Shades of the NBA contract, where Nike rightly stick for wacky City jerseys or needlessly rotating thirds, but we forget how the end of the Adidas era was pretty unhinged with the likes of the Warriors and Lakers and even the Spurs would have like 6 different jerseys in a year. Four jersey options is plenty (especially if throwback nights and City Connects are excluded) (City Connects should be excluded from everything entirely tbh)

My biggest concern here is a team with a white jersey and then three different solid-color jerseys (excluding a grey). Settle on your team colors already!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I'm actually shocked that not a single Braves fan in the comments of that blog seemed to realize the cream jerseys were already tossed, and that the writer said the throwbacks were from the 50s.

Yeah, I’m actually pretty baffled. For a team that is very proud of its uniforms and history, the folks closest to the team seem clueless. Especially the guy who made the 50s comment. He has a video podcast and his set is festooned with Braves throwbacks…😑

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metsguyinmichigan said:

So if it's a Nike rule and not an MLB rule,  can a team say, "Yeah, sorry, we're the customer, you're the vendor and you work for us. We're sticking with our five or whatever."

Assuming the Tigers and Yankees are sticking with their 2+0 rules.

Not having seen Nike's contract with the league, it's impossible to say for sure. But as the contracted supplier, Nike's not likely to arbitrarily set a rule and impose it upon the league without getting some degree of approval from the league itself. 

And I doubt it was a very hard case to make. Nike is arguably one of the greatest examples of how to wring as much value out of a brand as possible, so if they come to you arguing, for example, that paring down uniforms can reduce the risk of brand dilution, then the league would listen. 

I'm sure there's also plenty of internal data to show that the return-on-investment for a team's fifth or sixth jersey is probably pretty poor. I wouldn't be surprised if sales peak in the weeks and months after a new jersey release and then taper off to the point that they cost more to make than they return in revenue. 

Anyway, just trying to apply logic to the situation. The whole thing just makes sense to me.  When you're looking at retail costs that range from $130 for replicas to $300+ for authentics, it seems impractical to expect consumers to fork over that kind of money every time something new comes out. At least not in any sort of volume that moves the needle on profit margins. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

When you're looking at retail costs that range from $130 for replicas to $300+ for authentics, it seems impractical to expect consumers to fork over that kind of money every time something new comes out. At least not in any sort of volume that moves the needle on profit margins. 

That in itself is a problem. Well the $300 price tag I can kinda get, IF it's to spec with the on-field product. $130 for the replicas, on the other hand, is another story. The problem I've been noticing--well one of the problems, anyway, and this is across the board, not just with MLB--is that the quality of even the replicas has gone way downhill from what they used to be, even before Nike got involved. I think the textile fabric may be slightly better, but the scripts, numbers, and NOBs all leave MUCH to be desired, from inaccurate colors to inaccurate sizing, even in "authentic" form in many cases. (Though I wonder how much of that is a Fanatics thing now, not that these issues weren't going on before they dang-near monopolized the fangear market.) 

FWIW, even Mitchell & Ness has fallen victim to this deteriorating quality/authenticity problem...don't know what led to it, but it's very noticeable now.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 1/30/2023 at 5:48 PM, coco1997 said:

It already leaked a while back that the Rays would be dropping their gray roads  starting this coming season. Not sure why it wasn’t met with as much consternation as the Mariners news, though.

Probably because the Rays' grays were just kinda there, while the Mariners' grays were actually good looking.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬