MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

11 hours ago, McCall said:

That was their BP jersey that they added with the 1998 update (along with the new primary logo and Sunday caps). They mentioned that they may use them in actual games, but that one-time game in 1999 where they auctioned them off afterwards was the only time they ever did wear them.

The jersey they wore in 1999 was definitely knit. Used to own one, when I still had a jersey collection. I have pix on Photobucket, but my attempts to "insert image from URL" have all failed. (I wonder if it was because I didn't have enough clout before getting my old account merged into this one. IDK.)

10 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

I had to revisit this botched jersey...call my thought crazy, but...were they aiming to incorporate the same, if not a similar font to this beloved Maryland essential???

Old Bay on Everything: How the Crab Seasoning is Taking Over

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

It's definitely very close.  I really need to see them side by side.

At first glance, the O in the City Connect font doesn't seem to have the slight curve on the sides that the Old Bay font does.  However, that could just be my eyes playing tricks on me since we can only see a very small version of the City Connect font.

Either way, I can't imagine using Old Bay as an inspiration but not including yellow and blue.  Assuming there is a connection, maybe those colors show up elsewhere.

Not for nothing, but I was just in Baltimore over the weekend...got to see the O's get blanked by the dang Pittsburgh Pirates in Camden Yards (that is quite the nice park, by the way). I also saw more Old Bay cans, signs, and seasoning than I've ever seen in my life...I never saw that much the one year I spent living [just south of] there! Anyway, my brain never made the connection between the Old Bay font and the Baltimore [supposed-to-be] City Connect...probably because the CC is a whole bunch of blah-bland nothing. Ironic, because Old Bay is some of the best seasoning in the world.

And now that the two Cincinnatians have chimed in, I can offer my two-cent critique: the [infra]Reds CCs are what happens when a/ your innovative idea fairy stops sprinkling her pixie dust on your brain and b/ you spend way too much time presenting dang near every...single...new uniform reveal in dark, black environments. They're gonna suck something serious in the daylight...even under stadium lights at night if they ever wear them then. I get the idea, but this one's gonna be a hard no from me, dawg.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

9 hours ago, tBBP said:

Not for nothing, but I was just in Baltimore over the weekend...got to see the O's get blanked by the dang Pittsburgh Pirates in Camden Yards (that is quite the nice park, by the way). I also saw more Old Bay cans, signs, and seasoning than I've ever seen in my life...I never saw that much the one year I spent living [just south of] there! Anyway, my brain never made the connection between the Old Bay font and the Baltimore [supposed-to-be] City Connect...probably because the CC is a whole bunch of blah-bland nothing. Ironic, because Old Bay is some of the best seasoning in the world.

Old Bay advertising has exploded in recent years.  I have lived in Maryland for 55 years and never saw a lot of Old Bay advertising or merchandise until the last few years.

Also . . . where haven't you lived.  😛

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 5/13/2023 at 2:51 AM, adsarebad said:

Those powder blue pants are a 70's look right?

why should the rays go retro like that, when they were not even around back then?

MLB unis should have different colored jersey and pants, this is not basketball.

and it looks ridiculous, a pajama party/softball party, on the biggest stage!

There is no reason that it needs to be retro. Appropriate road uniform colors in baseball history have been as follows 1) Grey, 2) Powder Blue and the Rays have decided to mix those and create a far worse look than all grey or all powder. 

Your second point is literally so false that I'll ignore it.

• Like 5

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 5/15/2023 at 6:53 AM, McCall said:

That was their BP jersey that they added with the 1998 update (along with the new primary logo and Sunday caps). They mentioned that they may use them in actual games, but that one-time game in 1999 where they auctioned them off afterwards was the only time they ever did wear them.

Everyone remembers that BP jersey because half the sports journalists and photographers in the country were attending batting practice every day that year:

r696046_608x342_16-9.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Old Bay advertising has exploded in recent years.  I have lived in Maryland for 55 years and never saw a lot of Old Bay advertising or merchandise until the last few years.

Also . . . where haven't you lived.  😛

Alaska. 😄 (And actually, even that almost happened back in '06. Eh well...)

Also, re: all the Old Bay stuff, thank you for confirming that I am not, in fact, crazy. (Well, I mean I am, but...not..certifiably.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Everyone remembers that BP jersey because half the sports journalists and photographers in the country were attending batting practice every day that year:

r696046_608x342_16-9.jpg

You know what, that's exactly what it is. The Griffey video game and this are the reasons why I think the Cardinals wore that jersey. I was just a kid at the time so I didn't know any better.

• LOL 1

bSLCtu2.png

Total aside, but I have long wondered this and never asked: why do MLB teams wear different jerseys for batting practice than in the actual games, anyway?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Total aside, but I have long wondered this and never asked: why do MLB teams wear different jerseys for batting practice than in the actual games, anyway?

Now it's obviously all about having another jersey to sell, but back in the day, I thought it was because BP was "play around" time, and it was kind of a mental thing about being all business once the real uniform gets on.  Like you're hanging out at the bar with your suit jacket off, tie loosened, and button undone, but then it's time for the big meeting so you put the jacket back on and tighten up the tie.

Best BP jersey ever (notice the different Ps and slight differences in lettering)

:
33_VonHayes.jpg?v=1663799086&width=533  s-l500.jpg

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 hours ago, JTernup said:

There is no reason that it needs to be retro. Appropriate road uniform colors in baseball history have been as follows 1) Grey, 2) Powder Blue and the Rays have decided to mix those and create a far worse look than all grey or all powder. 

i of course do not include white and grey.

talking about  all baby blue uni.... that looks like a baby pajamas!

48 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

👀

The 2021 class was:

• Red Sox
  • Marlins
  • White Sox
  • Dodgers
  • Diamondbacks
  • Giants
  • Cubs

I'm putting my money on the Dodgers switching theirs to something more LA inspired, and then possibly adding their spring training jersey into the rotation that fans have been asking for

• Like 4

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

On 5/16/2023 at 2:09 PM, JTernup said:

I was just watching the Rays game and thinking about why the Powder over Grey doesn’t work for me. I typically think colored tops look decent over white or grey pants, but not in this case.

Color Value! The powder blue and grey have nearly the same color value and it makes the set look very out of sorts. You either need a monochrome look or color value contrast and this Rays set has neither.

Thats simultaneously why powder works as replacement for gray and doesn’t work with it.

• Like 8

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

6 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

The 2021 class was:

• Red Sox
  • Marlins
  • White Sox
  • Dodgers
  • Diamondbacks
  • Giants
  • Cubs

I'm putting my money on the Dodgers switching theirs to something more LA inspired, and then possibly adding their spring training jersey into the rotation that fans have been asking for

Yeah the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants were the weakest of the 2021 class IMO. Dodgers’ City gear may not be selling very well because it’s far too close to the regular set (well, the regular blue jersey)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 5/16/2023 at 6:07 PM, BBTV said:

Now it's obviously all about having another jersey to sell, but back in the day, I thought it was because BP was "play around" time, and it was kind of a mental thing about being all business once the real uniform gets on.  Like you're hanging out at the bar with your suit jacket off, tie loosened, and button undone, but then it's time for the big meeting so you put the jacket back on and tighten up the tie.

Best BP jersey ever (notice the different Ps and slight differences in lettering)

:
33_VonHayes.jpg?v=1663799086&width=533  s-l500.jpg

I'm not a Padres fan, but I'd put this in the running for best-ever BP jersey.

spacer.png

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I am not liking this move from my home team. The only saving grace is it’s not absolutely massive like some other patches such as the Padres. But it doesn’t look good.

Jersey ads are one thing, but I don't particularly enjoy the grandiose, cinematic production with no tie-in for a sponsor reveal. Stop trying to make it a bigger story than it actually is – they are giving you money so that they can be on your uniform. It's not that deep.

Although seeing Snitker try to keep a straight face after saying "Quiquee" was pretty funny.

• Like 11