2022-23 MLB offseason thread

TrueYankee26

11 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Seeing the Reds, Athletics and Pirates struggle mightily is sad. Would love to see an era of baseball where all 3 can be World Series contenders

Pitchers and catchers fly in and report to Bradenton February 15. That team will be mathematically and realistically eliminated from playoff contention before the first plane even reports long final for approach.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

Pitchers and catchers fly in and report to Bradenton February 15. That team will be mathematically and realistically eliminated from playoff contention before the first plane even reports long final for approach.

Feels like it has been the case for decades (except a 3 year stretch in 2013-2015). 1992 NLCS and Bonds leaving broke them.

It's been talked about here all year, but now Jayson Stark is reporting "rumblings" (whatever that means) that Trea Turner wants to sign with the Phillies if the numbers work out.  They're going to get one of the big-name shortstops, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which is the best, but from what I'm gathering, it's Turner.  Money isn't an issue, as the Phillies just cleared a ton of money and don't care about the luxury tax anymore, but I guess it's the duration that could be a sticking point.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's been talked about here all year, but now Jayson Stark is reporting "rumblings" (whatever that means) that Trea Turner wants to sign with the Phillies if the numbers work out.  They're going to get one of the big-name shortstops, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which is the best, but from what I'm gathering, it's Turner.  Money isn't an issue, as the Phillies just cleared a ton of money and don't care about the luxury tax anymore, but I guess it's the duration that could be a sticking point.  

🤨

treaturner

Appears the trolls are out in full force on this one already.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:47 AM, DoctorWhom said:

Pirates are one of those teams that if they're ever actually competitive, it's almost entirely by accident. 

This is the Reds too. They might happen to cobble together a solid collection of prospects who despite bare minimum efforts from the front office actually turn into a winning group ala the 2010-2013 years, but once they have the winning core they never spend to add more talent or do the extra work to improve the team so they're always at a disadvantage in any September race or playoff series in the rare event they actually make it that far. Take 2020 - The 15-19 rebuild actually produced a decent team and they made the Covid NIT, but they refused to add an extra bat or fix the big hole in the bullpen, which resulted in losing 2 close playoff games to the Braves without scoring a single run. 

It's why I think Reds Rebuild Twitter is some of the most delusional people on the internet. The prospects they acquired this season look good? Congratulations, I'll circle back in 2025 when they're traded for a new crop of teenagers you guys are going to jerk off about. My new theory is it's a defense mechanism. They love baseball and they love the Reds so they can't give it up, but that also means watching 162 Reds games a year and admitting the truth - that the current owner's main use of the team is simply a tax shelter is incompatible. So they lie to themselves and pretend that there's an actual end goal to this rebuild so that all the time they spend following this baseball team isn't completely pointless. There's not an end goal other than doing the bare minimum to staff a roster and if it ends up producing a good team then it's, like you said, a happy accident.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Could have also thrown in the Mariners (along with Pirates, Reds and A's on my post 2 days ago) but at least they broke their long playoff drought and brought happiness to the Pacific Northwest after a nightmarish 21 year wait.

The Royals made it to two World Series in my lifetime (winning 1) and the Brewers made a couple NLCSes. Hell even the Marlins, even though they are still rubbish and made 1 postseason appearance in the Covid 2020 season, got two World Series (1 of them over the Yankees)

LOL Castellanos is such trash that there's actually "rumblings" that the Phillies might be willing to package one of their top pitching prospects in a trade just to get someone to take part of his salary off their books.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well Pittsburgh is well past the days of the "gold mine" of pitching talent--and I don't long sicne lost count of what year they're on of the 5-year rebuilding plan...so eh, okay, I guess....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm trying to ride that fine line of not being a spoiled Boston fan, and I completely understand why people might find this conceited, but really hoping the Red Sox open the pocketbook and resign Bogaerts and Devers this offseason. I know they need pitching, but they also need these two guys as the faces of their franchise. I don't want to hear the "well they have prospects to fill the holes." BS, because the sense I get from the management now is that they'll unload those prospects when they start producing as big leaguers.

I don't want to sound like a whiny Boston fan (ya'll know I'm not that way) but I feel like if you are a fan of a big market team, it's understandable to expect them to behave like a big market team in the offseason. Maybe I'm wrong; I would welcome another perspective as always.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, Brass said:

I'm trying to ride that fine line of not being a spoiled Boston fan, and I completely understand why people might find this conceited, but really hoping the Red Sox open the pocketbook and resign Bogaerts and Devers this offseason. I know they need pitching, but they also need these two guys as the faces of their franchise. I don't want to hear the "well they have prospects to fill the holes." BS, because the sense I get from the management now is that they'll unload those prospects when they start producing as big leaguers.

I don't want to sound like a whiny Boston fan (ya'll know I'm not that way) but I feel like if you are a fan of a big market team, it's understandable to expect them to behave like a big market team in the offseason. Maybe I'm wrong; I would welcome another perspective as always.

If Turner doesn't end up in red pinstripes then Bogaerts will.  I honestly have never heard of Bogaerts until reading stories about the offseason free agent market, but he sounds pretty awesome.

2 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

If TB brings Longo back in any capacity, fans will love it.

Dbacks don’t need anymore of the Giants sloppy seconds. Just look how well Bumgardner worked out. Declining pitching and often injured. Don’t get me wrong Longoria is one of my favorites. But it seems like this is where Giants come to die…

16 hours ago, Brass said:

If you're a fan of a large market team, why WOULDN'T you feel this way? The only way I could have a bad impression of a fan for this is if you were a bandwagon fan - then all bets are off.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Red Sox will probably only try to keep one of Devers or Bogarts. I don't see them breaking the bank on both of them. Personally,I think they should keep Devers. 

Then try to replace Bogarts with Correa. 

Correa will probably get a bigger contract than Bogaerts so this is a little contradictory. It'd be cheaper to bring back Bogaerts.

Are we still in the era of star players not signing until right before spring training, or is it realistic that the top guys will have signed prior to EOY?

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Are we still in the era of star players not signing until right before spring training, or is it realistic that the top guys will have signed prior to EOY?

Most top players don't really sign before the Winter Meetings with there being the occasional exception (last year being one, but that was also with the impending lockout looming). The Winter Meetings tend to kick off the official "Falling of the Big Dominoes".