North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

I’m annoyed by Austin as the annoying little brother team nowadays the way Seattle was in like 2011, so that’s hilarious. Don’t know a lot about xG and such but from what I did see of Austin last year (admittedly not a ton but) it seemed like they were way overperforming. The wackiness of early round CCL seems like a logical place for mean regression.

• Like 1

I love the snoot attitude with soccer fans.  I'm barely an Austin FC fan, let alone an MLS fan.  Trying to "give it a go" or whatever, but it gets tiring if you don't actually let your whole life revolve around it, because the soccer heads will let you know.  The NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL have a much more welcoming vibe.  I don't need a bearded jackass from Pflugerville sneering about my beer choices, while he loudly has to leave the game at halftime. Evidently, because his life depends on crashing immediately at his place, so he can wake up at 4 in the morning to make sure he catches the Chelsea match.  Sounds like a drag. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Huh? 1

newsig.jpg

13 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

I love the snoot attitude with soccer fans.  I'm barely an Austin FC fan, let alone an MLS fan.  Trying to "give it a go" or whatever, but it gets tiring if you don't actually let your whole life revolve around it, because the soccer heads will let you know.  The NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL have a much more welcoming vibe.  I don't need a bearded jackass from Pflugerville sneering about my beer choices, while he loudly has to leave the game at halftime. Evidently, because his life depends on crashing immediately at his place, so he can wake up at 4 in the morning to make sure he catches the Chelsea match.  Sounds like a drag. 

You can play in stereotypes all you like. Such as how the NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL fan experience is little more than a Pavlovian call-and-response exercise led by a Jumbotron, at least until a fight breaks out between drunk meatheads high on Busch Lite or the dance team whips them into a frenzy to the tune of "Pump up the Jams."

But that doesn't do anyone any good. It sounds to me like if anyone's coming in with an attitude to this situation, it's you. 

Meet the sport on its own terms and learn to live within it. I've found soccer people to be among the most welcoming of any sport, entirely because their intent is to build a community around their love of the game. 

If that community feels foreign to you, and you don't like it, that's fine. Maybe it's not for you. Thanks for giving it a shot. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

So the guy is a masochist? Because if he needed to watch those matches last week for both teams, it sounds like someone is crying out for help. Especially if he's coming in from Pflugerville! Hahahahaha!!!! Plus he's a Chelsea fan which means he probably didn't follow them until Mourinho showed up. My soccer team had our own "local" here in San Antonio that was mostly Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool until 2007, then it was suddenly majority Chelsea fans. Anyways, fans that have to gatekeep teams to make themselves feel better suck. I've seen it more with Crew fans that give people crap for buying anything with the current badge on it, especially from guys like Save The Crew. We have a team and you don't like the badge, just enjoy the damn match!

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Dog on the pitch! This won't ever happen in Leagues Cup I bet.

Did that dog dig up the field? Because I think the pitch made more tackles last night than the players did. I know it's not as easy to maintain fields in some other parts of Concacaf than in others, but damn it! Have a minimum requirement for the fields to be playable.  UEF, who suck in their own right, would not have allowed them to play on that field. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Read this article from The Athletic about Messi going to Miami..

Will Lionel Messi come to MLS? In Miami, everyone has an opinion - The Athletic

Miami is planning to begin playing in their new stadium in 2025. But IF they get Messi, could they strike a deal with Hard Rock Stadium to play games there until the new stadium is completed? It would be pretty sad to see Messi playing home games in a 18,000 capacity temporary stadium located in an industrial part of Fort Lauderdale. Messi would be the biggest signing in MLS history after all. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

First $1 billion MLS Club, current MLS Cup Champion and current Supporters Shield Champion.  What a run they have been having.  

No kidding. They had some near misses with Bradley, but they're definitely realizing their potential now.

I'm just glad Seattle got its titles and CCL win in before LAFC takes over the league.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

Read this article from The Athletic about Messi going to Miami..

Will Lionel Messi come to MLS? In Miami, everyone has an opinion - The Athletic

Miami is planning to begin playing in their new stadium in 2025. But IF they get Messi, could they strike a deal with Hard Rock Stadium to play games there until the new stadium is completed? It would be pretty sad to see Messi playing home games in a 18,000 capacity temporary stadium located in an industrial part of Fort Lauderdale. Messi would be the biggest signing in MLS history after all. 

I can't unless I have to pay for it.  

But MLS was posting on Twitter leading up to the World Cup Finals about Messi.  

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I wonder what's going to become of the stadium in Rochester? Seems like it's been without a primary tenant for several years now.

the smaller one?  According to Wiki, it's used by a local community college for their soccer and lacrosse teams.  I think the other one is used by a NISA team.  

I was not a fan of Rochester being an independent club in MLS Next Pro, should have been in USL.  Hopefully the USL can get back to Rochester soon. I dont have much hope for NISAs Flower City Union-Salt City Union  merger team

Signature intentionally left blank

19 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I wonder what's going to become of the stadium in Rochester? Seems like it's been without a primary tenant for several years now.

I was there for HS football games years ago when it was called Sahlen's Stadium. Great, unfinished stadium. Was strange seeing a HS game played with the secondary temp lines.

16228447943_71bbd7cd34_b.jpg

16847276082_ff5e7a7ec0_b.jpg