NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Compared to how Nike fumbled around with shoulder "loops" for so long, including with Carolina, the irony of all of this is they finally got it right when they switched Carolina onto the vapor template. Compare this below photo to the awful attempt they had with LSU in the early 2010s.

Interesting that "mobility is mentioned." Can an expert explain his? Is there actually something about the way the stripe is applied that constricts the sleeve area, and that is a functional reason for going back to truncated? 

Shame because I actually really appreciated them making jerseys with full loops.

Grading the Bears' signing of QB P.J. Walker

I don't get this either. I thought they totally fixed the stripes when they switched templates in 2019. Shortening them will make them a lot worse.

Does this reset their 5-year change window? Not worrying about them switching to Nikefied garbage for 5 years would honestly be the biggest positive of this change

• Like 4

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if the Vapor Fusion template might permit this to come back into play.

CavsCorner - NFL Combine: Pac-12 memories, storylines, hits and misses

I still hope Steelers in one day use that template and bring back their Batman jersey as a throwback.

• Like 5

4r2eer.png

2 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I still hope Steelers in one day use that template and bring back their Batman jersey as a throwback.

That with a yellow helmet and white pants would be great. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Can confirm through multiple sources the Panthers (and most NFL teams for that matter) will be on Nike's Vapor Fusion template this season. Won't be able to get confirmation or further details from the Panthers until Tuesday, though. I have asked how that will impact their TV numbers and collar, as I suspect they may have larger numbers and no contrasting collar.

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

21 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Can confirm through multiple sources the Panthers (and most NFL teams for that matter) will be on Nike's Vapor Fusion template this season. Won't be able to get confirmation or further details from the Panthers until Tuesday, though. I have asked how that will impact their TV numbers and collar, as I suspect they may have larger numbers and no contrasting collar.

No contrasting collar for the Panthers would be another step down.  Really not a fan of this template.  Sad to hear.

When I saw that photo that the Panthers posted on their website today, the perspective makes it look like the TV number was awfully close to the neck; certainly they wouldn't allow for those numbers to impede on the collar, right?

Right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

"The team is not dropping silver from the color scheme or making any other drastic re-designs."

And there you have it.

Now shifting ALL focus to the Cardinals. ✌️

• Like 17

6uXNWAo.png

8 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Nike does such a terrible job with UCLA style shoulder stripes, just absolutely abysmal.

spacer.png

The frustrating part is that I have to believe there's a solution to be had, they just aren't interested in the time and effort it would take when it's so much more profitable to just plug everyone in to their existing templates.  And obviously, the teams don't care enough (or probably even think about it enough) to fight them on it.

And there's visual proof that it can be done. As a whole Nike's design work is well above what Under Armour puts out, but one area where UA is unarguably head and shoulders above Nike is in this type of traditional shoulder stripping...

spacer.png

If you look at the before and after with Nike's takeover of UCLA you'd have to be one of those people who really just don't care about these things to not see what's obviously a regression in the way this style of stripping is supposed to work...

spacer.png

Taken as a whole, Nike probably wins in the Nike vs Under Armour vs Adidas football uniform argument, but it's annoying that their status at the top of the heap has let them get lazy when it comes to things like this and their stubborn insistence on forcing teams into their per-existing color choices. 

They're making plenty of money.  They can do better.

Hot take here...

Nike does it better

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • Dislike 2

16 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

When I saw that photo that the Panthers posted on their website today, the perspective makes it look like the TV number was awfully close to the neck; certainly they wouldn't allow for those numbers to impede on the collar, right?

Right?

That was my thought, as well, which is why I reached out for clarification. At the minimum, the numbers look bigger.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Gross.

The Fusion is such a massive downgrade from the Untouchable, but Nike gonna Nike, and push their "innovation" because they can't leave well enough alone.

• Like 5

spacer.png

48 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Are you sure that there would be issues with contrasting collars? Georgia wore the Vapor Fusion template in the natty and they had contrasting collars work just fine.

National championship 2023: Every record Georgia set during its historic  win over TCU - CBSSports.com

Georgia blasts TCU 65-7 in the College Football Playoff championship game,  wins back-to-back titles | NCAA.com

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Are you sure that there would be issues with contrasting collars? Georgia wore the Vapor Fusion template in the natty and they had contrasting collars work just fine.

National championship 2023: Every record Georgia set during its historic  win over TCU - CBSSports.com

I think he meant that they'd remove the contrast collar to have more room for standard size TV numbers.  Meaning the TV numbers would be sewn ON the collar, rather than having to be resized to fit within the stripe & collar seams.  

As you can see on Stetson's jersey, if you add the Carolina stripe and try to fit a number between it and the collar...ain't happening.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Because their TV numbers are on the sleeves. Ohio State is the only team with TV numbers on the shoulder to wear the Vapor Fusion template to this point, and the Buckeyes obviously don't have a contrasting collar.

The Buckeyes could easily fit a contrasting collar with the new template, even accounting for the shoulder numbers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the Panthers, the reality is there’s too much going on with the contrasting collars, shoulder numbers, stripes, Nike swoosh, and logo. Something needs to give. They should drop something to make it fit with the shrinking jersey real estate.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The Buckeyes could easily fit a contrasting collar with the new template, even accounting for the shoulder numbers.

But Ohio State doesn't have a shoulder stripe that impedes upon that space, which is the point I was making. The Panthers' stripes reach to at least the bottom of the Buckeyes' numbers. 

20 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

With the Panthers, the reality is there’s too much going on with the contrasting collars, shoulder numbers, stripes, Nike swoosh, and logo. Something needs to give. They should drop something to make it fit with the shrinking jersey real estate.

You're absolutely right about this, though. They should just scrap the TV numbers at this point.

5 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I don't get this either. I thought they totally fixed the stripes when they switched templates in 2019. Shortening them will make them a lot worse.

Does this reset their 5-year change window? Not worrying about them switching to Nikefied garbage for 5 years would honestly be the biggest positive of this change

I don’t think template changes count

17 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t think template changes count

I think color changes do, though, and technically, this is a color change.  Curious to see how the league views it.

33 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

I think color changes do, though, and technically, this is a color change.  Curious to see how the league views it.

This wasn’t a color change though, but a correction. They didn’t push the jets redesign back when the fixed the 50 shades of green in their uniform by updating the template to the vapor untouchable before going to their current design

Edited by dont care
@oldschoolvikings beat me to it
  • Like 3