NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

3 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I know what the Texans should do 

64db6166ab26ba31d6a490114b7d80f4.png?compress=1&resize=1200x900&vertical=top

I'm completely down with a White helmet and adding a stripe does it for me.

The jersey is a no for me, though.  Anything with piping is automatically dated.  No good.  And I think they're due for a fresh new font. 

I like the pants, although that swooshy line separating the Navy & Red isn't necessary; I know you were trying to tie in the jersey, but I made my points about that above.

Just rolling with this helmet & fixed pant and a solid Navy jersey with a Red neckband & new font would be a really nice upgrade.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I know what the Texans should do 

64db6166ab26ba31d6a490114b7d80f4.png?compress=1&resize=1200x900&vertical=top

Would a navy helmet stripe with a red mask work? Would be a subtle nod to the Oilers (white shell, red mask).  The subtle longhorn piping in the jersey is pretty cool. 

• Applause 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, McCall said:

FTFY

No, the fan base. Maybe not all of them, but it’s what people are talking about and want and is a big of enough deal down here that it’s been on the news etc, not just normal uniform rumor stuff. 

Additionally, all signs point to some form of light blue being used. So feelings aside, concepts without them are leaving out what the team is actively marketing and saying and showing. 

4 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I'm completely down with a White helmet and adding a stripe does it for me.

The jersey is a no for me, though.  Anything with piping is automatically dated.  No good.  And I think they're due for a fresh new font. 

I like the pants, although that swooshy line separating the Navy & Red isn't necessary; I know you were trying to tie in the jersey, but I made my points about that above.

Just rolling with this helmet & fixed pant and a solid Navy jersey with a Red neckband & new font would be a really nice upgrade.

Be VERY careful what you ask for....... 

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

Am I the only one that likes the Texans navy helmet?

Personally, I hate it...as it stands.  It's just boring and bland with a stock finish, matching color mask and no stripe.  Even just adding a Red stripe would really help it, like Ole Miss does it:

USATSI_8124555.jpg

If they went with a satin or anodized finish, a Red facemask, and added a well-executed stripe - my suggestion earlier was to make the stripe half Red, half White, ending a few inches up from the back bottom so you could punctuate it with a single star, ala the Texas flag - it would be great.  I referenced the AAF promo helmet previously:  

AAF-football-helmet.jpg?fit=1080,608

Otherwise, I'm on Team White Helmet.  As @WSU151 suggested above, a Red mask would be a nice homage to the Oilers, but a Navy mask would would great as well if the stripe is done right.  Auburn gives us a look at how things could be:

2021-auburn-vs-miss-v2.png?1635706254auburn-5.jpg

I think the team ultimately will not choose to use White helmets, with the Colts in the division along with the Titans and the Oilers throwbacks now being in play.  

Which means I think we either get a new Navy helmet or, sadly, the Red helmet.  

• Like 3

TOTALLY NOT FAKE NEWS: Houston Texans…Let's Try This Again, Shall We? - Battle  Red Blog

Houston Texans 2022 Super Bowl 56 odds

2020 Houston Texans Game Day Live: Texans vs. Colts (Third Quarter) - Battle  Red Blog

I'm going to miss these.

The Texans added a red jersey after one year in existence, and then didn't touch the uniform (outside of adding more pants options) for thirteen more years. And they didn't need to do anything, because the uniforms were done. They didn't need any tweaks or adjustments, which we almost definitely won't be able to say about whatever comes after them.

The color blocking is probably my favorite part. Across the whole set, the rules are simple - mostly navy and a lot of white, with splashes of red. Even though the numbers on the away jersey are red, everything else on the jersey is navy, and the all-navy helmet and navy pants (or white pants with a thick navy stripe) keep the hierarchy in place. But there's still enough red distributed around the uniform for the numbers to feel like they belong. Even the red jersey, which sort of breaks this rule, still has a lot of navy on and around it (so long as they stay away from the unnecessary red helmet).

Most Texans concepts I've seen end up doing something with the helmet, but I actually really like it the way it is. They're [definitely not, whoops!] the only team with a navy helmet and navy facemask. And, the blank navy helmet feels especially connected to the blank navy socks they should be wearing most of the time. The navy-heavy logo isn't the best match for the helmet, but it comes with a thick white outline, which helps a lot.

The sleeve inserts were unique to the NFL at the time (and to an extent they still are). And, because they're not technically a stripe, it doesn't feel weird that the pants stripe is different. It also further justifies not having a helmet stripe by being different from both the pants and helmet.

The number font is extremely legible. It's not too thin and not too thick, and the angled cuts suggest the logo and sleeve inserts without sticking out. While many newer custom fonts feel 'square' or 'angular' with sharp edges, serifs, or cuts, the Texans' font feels smooth.

Any team could've worn these uniforms, but only one team did, and (as far as I know) few teams ever copied their look wholesale. It became the 'Texans look', not because of the design itself, but because they wore the same design for so long. The designers kept things simple, and focused on making a good-looking uniform first, and something that fit Houston second. I appreciate that level of restraint.

The new uniforms could be good. And, there's definitely a lot of room for them to connect to local culture, the Oilers, etc. But I just wish the new uniforms were replacing a set I liked less.

Edited by Blast_Brothers
Sorry bears and broncos (and Seahawks)
  • Like 12

53 minutes ago, Blast_Brothers said:

Most Texans concepts I've seen end up doing something with the helmet, but I actually really like it the way it is. They're the only team with a navy helmet and navy facemask. And, the blank navy helmet feels especially connected to the blank navy socks they should be wearing most of the time. The navy-heavy logo isn't the best match for the helmet, but it comes with a thick white outline, which helps a lot.

*cough*Bears*cough*

• Like 12

As Eagles' perfect season ends in loss to Washington Commanders, Philly  wonders: Where was vaunted running game? - nj.comA gripe that really became obvious the other day when this game was replayed on NFLN. The Commanders sleeve stripes feature a PRINTED white, rather than the red diamonds being printed directly on the jersey material. Under the lights, its clear the jerseys have a blue tint, and the sleeves an orange, and its not just the burgundy around it. Just a flaw in the design, one of many.

• Hate 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

The Texans are going to be another classic case where the team reveals “exciting” new uniforms that are somewhat popular for a year or two, and then people will realize they are kinda crappy and miss the old ones. I can already tell how this is going to go. They are one of those teams that got it right the first time and have a timeless look that could be worn for the next century.

• Like 7

Boy I disagree with you guys calling the Texans look “done” and “timeless”.

It’s boring, bland, not cohesive, and the color balance is all out of whack when they use the Red-dominant jersey or helmet.

To each their own.  I think their brand will thrive with the change, because the current look isn’t - and never was - exciting.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Blast_Brothers said:

They're the only team with a navy helmet and navy facemask.

The Bears and Broncos say hi...one thing I know, though, the Texans got the number font right, I hope they keep it.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬