NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

7 hours ago, plastictaxicab said:

Nope, not Futura. You can tell by the straight angle on the upper terminal of the 2.

I've seen several different names for the set of numbers the Oilers used in 1960, including "Athletic Gothic" and "NCAA Gothic". I don't know that there was one standardized set of numbers like that back in the 60s, or if each manufacturer had its own iteration. But it was a fairly popular number set (behind various block fonts, of course). A few of the Continental Football League franchises used them, The Washington Huskies used them, Vermont and Columbia used them, and they were littered across high school football uniforms throughout the 60s and 70s. I have a couple iterations of them that I use for concepts and such. The first, I think I got from someone posting it here, waaay back in the day. The second is from the Nike catalog:

spacer.png

The first iteration seems to be at least somewhat closer to what the Oilers wore in 1960. The weight was lighter and the curves felt a bit more humanist (akin to fonts like Gill Sans and Johnston, as opposed to more geometric-looking sans fonts like Futura or Century Schoolbook). The second, like I said, is from the Nike catalog. I am not sure if it's their propriety version or if it's a direct copy of something that preexisted this option. While not geometric by any means, it is just a bit squarer and a little more vertically proportioned. The 2009 Titans throwbacks, while still mostly looking like the top, tended a bit more toward the bottom version than the 1960 or 1994 versions.

The Oilers used this set of numbers for one year, in 1960:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then, for the 1994 75th anniversary throwbacks, the numbers seemed to take on more of a 2:1 or 1:2 ratio instead of a 1:1 ratio. What I mean by that is, with 5 for example, instead of the number being roughly evenly divided between the top half and the bottom (bowl, or in old style figures, descender), the top half is roughly half the height of the bottom half. An exaggerated example:

spacer.png

Stretching of the numbers on the various cuts of players' jerseys likely had an impact on the proportions as well. (See the 0s below between 90 and 50.)

spacer.png

Another fun fact about the 1994 throwbacks is that the 2s did seem to have different upper terminals (mentioned previously in this thread in relation to the numbers not being Futura). The 94 2s apparently had horizontal upper terminals more akin to Helvetica. (A still photo of a player wearing a 2 from this game would be nice. These images are screenshots of the game from YouTube. It used to be one could find a few photos of these uniforms online, but they seemed to have disappeared into Google's new search algorithm.) This was a break from what they wore in 1960 (as evidenced by the photo of Billy Cannon, no. 20, above).

spacer.png

Then lastly for the Titans/Oilers, are the 2009 AFL 50th anniversary uniforms. The numbers on these skew slightly more toward the Nike version. Certainly more vertical, but not quite as rigid as Nike's version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another fun fact: the away uniforms appear to be wrong. The away uniforms in 1960 featured red numbers on the road. The 2009 throwbacks had blue numbers with red outlines/strokes.

spacer.png

Like I said earlier, this set of numbers crops up in a lot of other places as well. Here's a uniform catalog (originally posted on Uni-Watch) that shows this set of numbers as an option.

spacer.png

And speaking of another UW, Washington used these numbers on their throwback back in 2007. Because this was a Nike uniform, it's likely that this uniform featured a set of numbers much closer to the ones from the Nike catalog, posted above. I don't say that they're exactly the same, however, because the 0 is more of a rectangle with rounded corners than an oval.

spacer.png

I think this set of numbers is neat, both for its general design and its variations. Hence this dissertation. Haha.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I've already seen a ton of comments mocking them for copying off the Bengals by going with a white helmet. Forget the fact that the Browns existed first and wore white helmets 17 years before the Bengals even existed. 

If they knew their history they'd realize that the Bengals franchise started out literally wearing Browns hand-me-downs. Pretty big glass house situation there.

• Like 4

On 7/18/2023 at 10:24 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

So if that's he same throwback pants as before, the stripes on the helmet won't match the stripes on the pants?

No like.

They are the same pants and they don't match the helmet. But I'm fine with that. I'm just happy they used a brown facemask. 

spacer.png

• Like 10

spacer.png

1 minute ago, nuordr said:

They are the same pants and they don't match the helmet. But I'm fine with that. I'm just happy they used a brown facemask. 

spacer.png

They match the jersey stripes, so I'm okay with it. 

I love these even if they aren't historically accurate. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

45 minutes ago, canzman said:

Just now, buckeye said:

It's the best alternate option available, glad they went with it! Sharp look for a couple games a season.

As long as this means the all brown uniform is gone I'm super happy with this. I would have preferred they did a design like Texas A&M did, but this isn't too bad. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

36 minutes ago, nuordr said:

spacer.png

Simple and very clean. These drop shadow numbers are leagues better than the monstrosities that was the mid-to-late 2010's Browns look.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

As long as this means the all brown uniform is gone I'm super happy with this. I would have preferred they did a design like Texas A&M did, but this isn't too bad. 

Teams are allowed 2 alternates so this does not been the all brown is gone, but also doesn't mean it will be worn this year either. I think it is 3 alternate uniform games per season and the fact they announced 3 throwbacks likely means no all brown this season but going forward that can change.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, canzman said:

Teams are allowed 2 alternates so this does not been the all brown is gone, but also doesn't mean it will be worn this year either. I think it is 3 alternate uniform games per season and the fact they announced 3 throwbacks likely means no all brown this season but going forward that can change.

At least the games they'll be used for make sense. I wonder if the Bengals would go all white for the game in Cleveland this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I would’ve preferred the stripe matched the pants stripe but these are still quite good. 

I kinda wish the Browns would’ve incorporated this drop shadow into their main set, though I understand why they wanted to get away from the Nike-tastic disaster. 

• Like 8

I understand why they added some detail to it. If they unveiled just straight white helmets to be true to history, a lot of fans wouldn't get it and make fun of it. 

This is more congruent and will certainly draw a "oooooh icy white swag" from the pudding brains, it's a win-win. 

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, canzman said:

Unless they decide to wear their regular brown jersey with their regular brown pants. 

• Like 1

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg