NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

23 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

For example, if the Nats, Twins, and/or any other navy/red team switched to royal blue, then they would just share a scheme with the Cubs & Rangers, and we’d have even more teams sharing the same color scheme.

And if anybody comes on here with some nonsense suggesting the Twins switch to purple and gold or royal and kelly green or chartreuse and khaki I'm going to burn this place down. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

The only team that I’d like to see replace navy with black would be the Braves, because it ties in with the other teams in the city. 

The only team that I’d like to see replace navy with royal blue is the Broncos, because there’s precedence in their history and would give them a unique color scheme in the NFL.

As true as it is that there are too many navy & red teams, especially in MLB, eliminating navy as an option would only increase blandness, not decrease it. For example, if the Nats, Twins, and/or any other navy/red team switched to royal blue, then they would just share a scheme with the Cubs & Rangers, and we’d have even more teams sharing the same color scheme.

There's always powder blue! Powder Blue and Red would rock as a color scheme and underused. Hell it would definitely work for the Phillies since they used those exact colors before, and the Rangers added it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rorinator said:

Looks like the Eagles jerseys still have their old wordmark despite a new one being introduced a season ago (not that I'm really complaining)

It's changing next year.  Apparently changing the wordmark was significant enough to trigger the two-year rule.  Not sure why the team didn't plan better. 

I've warmed to the new one, mostly because it looks a lot better in the end zone.  The old one had to be shrunk too much and left a lot of empty space on the ends.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's changing next year.  Apparently changing the wordmark was significant enough to trigger the two-year rule.  Not sure why the team didn't plan better. 

I've warmed to the new one, mostly because it looks a lot better in the end zone.  The old one had to be shrunk too much and left a lot of empty space on the ends.

They should update their uniforms too while they have the chance. The old wordmark matched the current uniforms better, but the whole thing feels very stuck in the 90’s.

It looks like they're wearing some sort of bluish graphite color there. Not even remotely green. I can't believe this relic of 1990s sports design where teams all thought they were painting basement rec rooms has hung around. 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The old wordmark matched the current uniforms better

are you sure that's not just because you were used to it?  There's nothing about the current uniforms that meshes with the old or new wordmark.  The numbers are rounded and relatively conservative, while the old wordmark was angled and jagged, and the new one is sleek and contemporary.  It's a mismatch no matter which way you look at it

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, VikWings said:

The Eagles just need to drop the charcoal outlines and stripes.

I was never a fan of the midnight green (looks better under Nike though) but it's their color now.

Just do this again with the new crappy wordmark:

0-season-FPHIE-2002.jpg

They need to adopt a couple things from the throwbacks they’ll be wearing this year. Keep the current logo. Make silver the secondary color again. Keep the number font, or don’t. Bring back Kelly green, or don’t. Wear striped socks again, because they’ve shown they can’t be trusted with solid-color. Delete white pants - silver and (whichever shade of) green are only pant colors allowed. Boom, two eras merged and basic aesthetic improvements applied. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

are you sure that's not just because you were used to it?  There's nothing about the current uniforms that meshes with the old or new wordmark.  The numbers are rounded and relatively conservative, while the old wordmark was angled and jagged, and the new one is sleek and contemporary.  It's a mismatch no matter which way you look at it

Yes I’m sure — the old wordmark was pretty jagged, but it had its rounded parts too (see the G and the S):

Hsn3JxA.png

The weights of the letters also match the numbers a lot better, with thin horizontal lines & thick vertical lines. That’s not to mention the thick black shadows that both of them have.

I’m also not sure I’d say there’s anything “conservative” about the number font, being that it’s a custom font with multiple shadows & the thick dark outline. That might just be because *you’re* used to it.

By "conservative', I meant the shapes, not the trim.  The trim is a little excessive.

They're not italicized, don't have weird-jagged cuts in them, and don't have whatever the hell the Vikings have going on with their sail gimmick.  Some of the numbers (like the 1) are awful, but in a vacuum, they almost look "old timey" (for lack of a better term) - especially the 2 with its serif.  By today's standards, they're pretty traditional.  I wouldn't classify them as "contemporary", while I would classify the new wordmark as just that.  I don't know how I'd classify the old one.  To me, it's neither contemporary nor classic.  It's a little cartoony - that's the best word I can come up with right now.

I get your point about the old wordmark, we just disagree.

il_fullxfull.4835099437_d6vq.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s the mix of slab-serifs and sans-serif numbers that really make the font seem “confused,” for lack of a better word. The NOB font is full of slabs, but the numbers largely avoid them.

That's pretty much how it goes for any serif/slab-serif typeface...this one is no different. 

Grainy image, I know, but this is (what I believe) what the Eagles team font started from, Dharma Slab. Notice the similarities in series between the two character sets:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0w-TzgCHcS0fBBasjzsq

Now of course none of that explains the ultra-extended ear (terminal?) of the 1 in the Eagles' set, but it does give a reference point for the rest of the glyphs.

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 hours ago, henburg said:

These new Cardinals uniforms just stink, they're both boring and ugly at the same time. I don't miss the piping at all, but what a missed opportunity to not create something that's good.

They'd be so much better if they just swapped out the red pants for white.  Still not good, but better than this.

• Like 9

On 9/16/2023 at 8:02 PM, tBBP said:

That's pretty much how it goes for any serif/slab-serif typeface...this one is no different. 

Grainy image, I know, but this is (what I believe) what the Eagles team font started from, Dharma Slab. Notice the similarities in series between the two character sets:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0w-TzgCHcS0fBBasjzsq

Now of course none of that explains the ultra-extended ear (terminal?) of the 1 in the Eagles' set, but it does give a reference point for the rest of the glyphs.

The only problem with this theory is that Dharma Slab was first published in 2011.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Echo said:

They'd be so much better if they just swapped out the red pants for white.  Still not good, but better than this.

Take heart…I did this on Madden, and it truly solves everything.  I can’t believe they’ve stuck to this tampon combo this long.  

The franchise is a joke, but when they finally make this switch, they’ll at least look the the Arizona Cardinals are supposed to look.

• Like 8

On 9/17/2023 at 4:29 PM, henburg said:

These new Cardinals uniforms just stink, they're both boring and ugly at the same time. I don't miss the piping at all, but what a missed opportunity to not create something that's good.

Still wondering how they decided that (A) they need a wordmark and (B) it needs to be that massive.

• Like 1