2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

First off, new helmet sponsor. 

Second off, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

10 minutes ago, nash61 said:

First off, new helmet sponsor. 

Second off, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

The NHL has arranged for separate helmet sponsors for these Global Series games. Ottawa had a different one on their helmets yesterday too.

I like the look. Glad they did something unique for the trip and wouldn't mind more teams doing it, as long as colours are dissimilar (i.e. not during Toronto v Tampa).

Surprised that the Canes (and Kings 3rd) are the only teams who go coloured helmet w/ white. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Honestly, I don't actually mind it that much. The rest of their road equipment is blue already, so it's not like it clashes with the rest of the uniform in a negative way, it's just that we're all so used to white road helmets being a league-wide thing that anything else looks weird.

39 minutes ago, lopernv said:

I like the look. Glad they did something unique for the trip and wouldn't mind more teams doing it, as long as colours are dissimilar (i.e. not during Toronto v Tampa).

To be fair, the Bolts should have a lot more black in their look anyways to make them actually have a unique look instead of just being a blue Detroit recolor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, riccirulesall said:

spacer.png

there's gonna be some very upset people in here lol

The Canes trying to be quirky is one thing. An ORIGINAL SIX team should know better. Then again, this is the same team that partnered with Justin Bieber to create a gimmicky reversible BFBS jersey.

• Like 1

Honestly, if they're trying to reduce the amount of equipment they bring out to Sweden, this would have been a good opportunity for color vs color. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but Leafs in blue vs Wings in red would have been great contrast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

A lot of it probably has to do with the team who's leading the charge in making this a trend. The Hurricanes have consistently made baffling decisions for no apparent reason for several years now, and their decision to wear red helmets last season (and into the playoffs) ruffled a lot of feathers (mine included). I don't think the backlash would be as strong if a different team started doing it first.

As others have mentioned, this isn't the first time there's been colored helmets with a white jersey. It's done all the time for outdoor or specialty games, as well as one-off games like when the Avalanche did it in their inaugural season

spacer.png

Also, Mario Lemieux started his career wearing a yellow helmet with the Penguins' white jerseys (the only triple mismatch I could think of in NHL history)

spacer.png

• Like 2