2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

3 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I think you're in the minority here, and it's not even anything to do with the design of the new jersey, but the fact that it was only brought back for nostalgia. When a jersey is brought back solely for nostalgia, I think people simply prefer a direct throwback.

And people loved it. Not because it looks better. but because that's how it originally was. My point is that when you have throwbacks that you're just wearing as throwbacks, people want a direct throwback, even if there's a way to improve upon the original design.

I mean, fair point and you're probably right. I'm just a sucker for strong design (as I see it) regadless of historical accuracy. I apprciate a good throwback but if i think the design could be improved (and they actually do it) I'll be a materialistic, consumerist shmuck and fork out for it.

• Like 2

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

One of the 3 richest teams in the league disgracing BOTH jerseys now with stupid sponsor patches. One that looks like our oldest rival's logo at that! I hope Geoff Molson wakes up tomorrow morning with ingrown nails. Greedy bastard

Well, at least the color fits on the jersey. And that's the only positive I can give.

On 11/21/2023 at 11:33 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

Disagree on all counts except for keeping the blue and green. Nothing wrong with having a secondary colour scheme for a 3rd. 

For a special event night throwback sure. For a regular third it's questionable to have it as a complete departure. 

The reality is, is that the Canucks are a 2-colour scheme franchise, like it or not.

No they aren't. They've been a blue and green team. Before '90s nostalgia became the flavour of the month, the Skate colours were seen as an eyesore that they kept gradually toning down, and the only people who looked back favourably on them were boomers who were also wearing nostalgia goggles. Otherwise why not say they're a 3 colour scheme team and include the West Coast Express jerseys? Or hell, they've worn the Millionaires jerseys a few times, lets make it 4. 

The only reason the Canucks have an "identity crisis" is because rather than sticking to the look they have now, which is great, they cater to the vocal minority demanding they bring back the skate because like their barbed wire tattoos and gauged ears, it will always be fashionable.

Really I'm quite surprised you didn't use this opportunity to batter Johnny Canuck's fossilized horse. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Meh 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Hard to get that info, as I believe only the team operated stores at the venue were able to sell them.

So the Kings are selling their home jerseys with Mercury Insurance patches on them, and in the 6 games I've been to this year, I can't remember seeing anyone buy one or wearing one in the arena... so with that knowledge, they're not selling well in LA.

Just now, DTConcepts said:

This thread’s gonna love this.

The black buckets blend in nicely with the black shoulder yoke, so it's perfectly fine to me.

• Like 16

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, mjarvie said:

So the Kings are selling their home jerseys with Mercury Insurance patches on them, and in the 6 games I've been to this year, I can't remember seeing anyone buy one or wearing one in the arena... so with that knowledge, they're not selling well in LA.

Good, hope it stays that way.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

This thread’s gonna love this.

It's not that it looks bad, it's just that it looks cheap

It actually looks fine because of the black shoulder yokes. It would be a great uniform for your local Junior B team that runs on a tight budget and can't afford two sets of helmets. Not a good look for an NHL team owned by a billionaire. Chasing trends is wack. Like the contrasting nameplates, hollow numbers, chest numbers, roundel logos, double blue color scheme, blackout alternates and any other fad that loses its novelty because too many teams jump on the bandwagon. But this time it's even worse cause there's no money to be made here. Chasing trends to sell jerseys, that I can understand at least. This is just puzzling

And again, not like there's anything wrong with white helmets to begin with

Also, considering the lousy officiating, if I were in charge of a team, I wouldn't make my players wear buckets that could very possibly make the referees job even harder, they're already struggling enough making the right calls as it is lol. The game has just gotten too fast for on ice referees. They can't keep up anymore. This will only confuse them even more imo

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 6

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Also, considering the lousy officiating, if I were in charge of a team, I wouldn't make my players wear buckets that could very possibly make the referees job even harder, they're already struggling enough making the right calls as it is lol. The game has just gotten too fast for on ice referees. They can't keep up anymore. This will only confuse them even more imo

I was with you until the refs part. What are you talking about? The new rule explicitly states that the two teams cannot wear helmets of the same color. There are many reasons why officiating is horrible in this league, but I really don't see this being one of them.

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

I was with you until the refs part. What are you talking about? The new rule explicitly states that the two teams cannot wear helmets of the same color. There are many reasons why officiating is horrible in this league, but I really don't see this being one of them.

Where will they draw the line tho? Is navy vs black acceptable? Maroon vs red? Is there a huge difference between royal blue and black when it's a split second decision? Maybe you're right, maybe it makes no difference. Personally I'd err on the side of caution

The rule was made with referees in mind so I don't think my concerns are entirely unreasonable. This is not a hill I wanna die on, just a thought lol

2 hours ago, Patchey13 said:

Not really liking the Helmet decal for Vegas' winter classic uniform. It's a little much for my taste, although I guess that fits perfectly for Vegas

F_o04CgbEAAXaNh?format=jpg&name=large

F_o04CjbEAI66EH?format=jpg&name=large

10/10 considering it could have been chrome gold and have ads on it. I actually really like the 3d decals 

On 11/22/2023 at 10:50 AM, ruttep said:

Again, what is with the reveal featuring models wearing a jersey that's several sizes too large? Show us what it looks like on a player! My opinion of these jerseys can change dramatically once I see how it'll look on the ice with full equipment.

My thoughts exactly, you need to see the whole uniform or it doesn't make sense which is what was weird with this reveal.  They look so much better seeing the full set. And while the jersey is oversized, I will say, I wish at any point in my life I looked even half as manly as the Kraken jersey model! Dude is just working on a commercial fishing vessel without breaking a sweat!

SEAsig.png

2 hours ago, benpc21 said:

My thoughts exactly, you need to see the whole uniform or it doesn't make sense which is what was weird with this reveal.  They look so much better seeing the full set. And while the jersey is oversized, I will say, I wish at any point in my life I looked even half as manly as the Kraken jersey model! Dude is just working on a commercial fishing vessel without breaking a sweat!

That type of reveal isn't new. It happened as well with the Reverse Retro reveals. And I was just as critical of it then.

spacer.png

I mean, what is the point? None of these people look remotely like hockey players, especially when they're decked out in size XXXL. The Nordiques model even has their sleeve rolled up! 

• Yawn 1

43 minutes ago, ruttep said:

That type of reveal isn't new. It happened as well with the Reverse Retro reveals. And I was just as critical of it then.

spacer.png

I mean, what is the point? None of these people look remotely like hockey players, especially when they're decked out in size XXXL. The Nordiques model even has their sleeve rolled up! 

Well I’d have to imagine that it’s trying to sell the jerseys with how fans would actually be wearing them, rather than just hockey players. 

While WE care about socks and breezers most people don’t lol

• Like 13

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10