2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

22 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

No, you're misunderstanding what I'm asking. I'm not asking if they should switch. I'm saying, assume the following scenario.

This offseason, the Montreal Canadiens announce that they are unveiling a brand new uniform. It doesn't have the center stripe and has a different logo on it. They were this for 10 or 11 seasons before they realize  that fans like their old uniforms better. So they decide to go back to their exact classic uniforms with the CH logo and the blue center stripe.

The question: In this scenario, is going back to their old look lazy?

No I wouldn't call going back to their old look lazy. Remember, I said I like it when teams explore their branding until they finally have a look that is iconic and timeless, which the habs do. If you look at their uni history you can see that they slowly alter and tweak their unis every few years until they finally get that look they have generally worn ever since 1977.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Canadiens/Canadiens.html

So if the canadiens did that and it was somehow better sure I would support it. But if they messed it up, which is the more likely case, and went back to their classic look I wouldn't see that as lazy, I see that as something similar to what the blues did, messed up their look with the reebok takeover, but fixed it up by going back to the pre edge look but better. Same thing for the rangers when they switched in '76, but went back to their classic look by '78. 

Even the bruins in a way went back to their old look during the edge takeover, remember they were wearing this?

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Bruins/Bruins26.html

Which was ok for the time, but the look they have now is basically a modernized version of their 60's jerseys, but less dated, altered colors on the yokes, more detailed logo with serifs, updated bear shoulder patch, waist stripes moved up.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Bruins/Bruins19.html

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Bruins/Bruins28.html

On 4/6/2023 at 5:34 PM, BuckDancer said:

the rangers changed their look at one point if I recall to a Winnipeg jets looking jersey back in the 70's

Other way around, the Jets took their design from the crappy modernized Rags. I think John Ferguson literally brought the uniform stock with him to Winnipeg.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/6/2023 at 6:34 PM, BuckDancer said:

Good examples, another thing I would add to Ottawa is that new 2d centurion logo which they never ended up using. That was a great, new, modernized, updated version of their original logo. I think most here on these board would agree that the new 2d logo is superior and should be their current main crest instead of the old '92 logo. That logo, on a jersey similar to that of their 2000-07 black alternate, but in red, and maybe a new updated S shoulder patch would blow their current look out of the water. That's the kind of tinkering and little tweaks that I'm advocating for, not just pulling out an old look that doesn't hold up that well today. 

That concept has been done on this very board dozens of times. It does not, in any concept version of it I've ever seen here or elsewhere,  "blow their current look out of the water". In fact I'd argue it looks kinda cheap, especially after years of seeing that unused  logo plastered on some pretty shoddy team-branded merchandise.  

But to each their own, etc...

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 2

thecatch.jpg

On 4/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, Ridleylash said:

Ottawa's another great example where they fiddled with their dark jerseys in the 90's and improved them dramatically by adding some white into the color mix.

See, now this guy's talking sense.

Those uniforms were the finest in team history, at least so far. You don't always have to start from scratch. A great uniform is honed over the decades and such. That's how you eventually get the timeless classics we all know & love. 

• Like 1

thecatch.jpg

41 minutes ago, SenatorJake said:

See, now this guy's talking sense.

Those uniforms were the finest in team history, at least so far. You don't always have to start from scratch. A great uniform is honed over the decades and such. That's how you eventually get the timeless classics we all know & love. 

I hated the addition of white to that uniform.  it destroyed the coolness that the white and black jerseys had the exact same striping pattern, only the main body colour changed...

• Like 1

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

2 hours ago, SenatorJake said:

That concept has been done on this very board dozens of times. It does not, in any concept version of it I've ever seen here or elsewhere,  "blow their current look out of the water". In fact I'd argue it looks kinda cheap, especially after years of seeing that unused  logo plastered on some pretty shoddy team-branded merchandise.  

But to each their own, etc...

So you prefer their current logo over the unused 2007 version?

4 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

I do, but changing between those two logos wouldn't be the end of the world. Honestly if the current template is kept, then it would be somewhat of lateral move, all things considered. It certainly wouldn't upset me nearly as much as having my favourite hockey team skate around the ice draped in gold serpentine every night.  That, to me, would be a real crime. Leave the gold serpentine to Vegas. They're kinda doing it justice, no? That can be their thing.

• Like 1

thecatch.jpg

9 hours ago, BuckDancer said:

I liked the updated 2D when they unveiled it, and have a St. Patricks Day hat with the logo on it. Most of the fanbase however, seemed to never fall in love with it. When discussions about the logo were happening leading up to the rebrand, anytime I'd see someone suggesting they use the updated 2D instead of the original they'd quickly be shot down by the majority, so I can see why the team went the safe route and brought back the old one relatively unchanged.

I think the ideal logo is something in between the two. I like the cleaner, bolder lines of the updated version, but it also felt like it was missing something without the coming from the back. Something similar to the logo on this concept/mockup would be great.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Dislike 3

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

I liked the updated 2D when they unveiled it, and have a St. Patricks Day hat with the logo on it. Most of the fanbase however, seemed to never fall in love with it. When discussions about the logo were happening leading up to the rebrand, anytime I'd see someone suggesting they use the updated 2D instead of the original they'd quickly be shot down by the majority, so I can see why the team went the safe route and brought back the old one relatively unchanged.

I think the ideal logo is something in between the two. I like the cleaner, bolder lines of the updated version, but it also felt like it was missing something without the coming from the back. Something similar to the logo on this concept/mockup would be great.

spacer.png

I like that update, but the problem l've always had with that sens "winged" logo, especially the original, is that it feels kind of off centre. My eyes are naturally drawn the middle of the logo so I end up just being pulled in by the big red crista in the centre and the part of the helmet that connects to it. The 2d 2007 version puts the head/face of the centurion as the focal point. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

They really missed the opporunity by not adding black on the arms like this one. But it's still years ahead of their Edge look

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 7:43 PM, DTConcepts said:

0e9006e6780e095d.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8a3e

On 4/23/2023 at 10:57 PM, BuckDancer said:

Something like this, but with a different font?

z7UaTGP.png

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2
  • Dislike 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

On 4/11/2023 at 10:57 AM, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

The updated 2D is so much better balanced than the 1D or anything with the wings.  It has the Ottawa flag/cape tie-in and you can center-align the circle crest with the center of the sweater, unlike the 1D, which is right-dominant and off-centered.

• Like 5