2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

No it isn't. It cleans up the original logo's linework, centers it better, and makes it clear exactly what the red swooshes are (it's a cape). I think it was a tremendous success, but the Senators organization, a miserable failure, immediately discarded it.

That's exactly what they should be wearing, at least up front. I'd like some Peace Tower shoulder logos with copper-patina green, and a better font than Serpentine, a cop car font, but that gets the essence right.

• Like 17
  • Applause 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, dont care said:

I don’t see it, especially with Vegas’ home being gold now

Both feature a gold-helmeted warrior as a logo, sparkly gold stripes with a laurel pattern, and red trim.

The Sens' current look is fine.

• Like 2

Two things about the Senators I want to share some opinions on since they are being discussed here at the moment: One, I wish they used a metallic, glittery gold material for their logo on their home and away jerseys instead of the flat, khaki gold they chose instead. The sparkly material on the crest of their older jerseys is much nicer; The other thing I want to say is this: I think that unused logo deserves to at least be used on a future third jersey. I like the logo they have gone back to better myself but the prototype logo is really good too and I think it is a perfect choice for a third jersey down the road and far too good to not be used at all.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 4:23 AM, the admiral said:

That's exactly what they should be wearing, at least up front. 

Couldn't disagree more. 

The logo looks like someone 'fixed' the original logo, but in the process destroyed all its charm. 

• Like 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 4/26/2023 at 4:23 PM, the admiral said:

No it isn't. It cleans up the original logo's linework, centers it better, and makes it clear exactly what the red swooshes are (it's a cape). I think it was a tremendous success, but the Senators organization, a miserable failure, immediately discarded it.

That's exactly what they should be wearing, at least up front. I'd like some Peace Tower shoulder logos with copper-patina green, and a better font than Serpentine, a cop car font, but that gets the essence right.

You can explain it all you want. The90s and current logo is still better, Yes the cape flowing out the back just works better for a logo design.

• Like 3
  • Hurl 1
  • Meh 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, Ark said:

This logo is very overrated sorry

that logo bad lol try again git gud

• LOL 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The problem with the unused logo is that it is always going to be compared to the logo it was modelled after. In a vacuum, it is an undoubtedly superior logo. However, unlike a logo set like the Blue Jays, the designer didn't quite eliminate all doubt as to which one is better.

It's cleaner, it's centerable, the cape makes sense, and it forms an O for Ottawa. It checks all the boxes except for the nostalgia one.

• Like 8
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 minutes ago, nash61 said:

The problem with the unused logo is that it is always going to be compared to the logo it was modelled after. In a vacuum, it is an undoubtedly superior logo. However, unlike a logo set like the Blue Jays, the designer didn't quite eliminate all doubt as to which one is better.

It's cleaner, it's centerable, the cape makes sense, and it forms an O for Ottawa. It checks all the boxes except for the nostalgia one.

Also the victim of being associated with an inferior uniform set as a whole.  Same problem I think people have with Sharks logo 2.0 vs 1.0.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, infernoqueso said:

Also the victim of being associated with an inferior uniform set as a whole.  Same problem I think people have with Sharks logo 2.0 vs 1.0.  

I think it's also a bigger issue of that logo never being used anywhere so it doesn't have the recognition it could have to warrant Sens fans wanting it.

I don't think either Sharks logos are all that great. They both have design issues.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

51 minutes ago, Ark said:

I hate how the helmet plume is turned into a circle/roundel element. It doesn’t look right.

Designed that way to form an O for Ottawa (as nash61 said above)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Ark said:

I hate how the helmet plume is turned into a circle/roundel element. It doesn’t look right.

It's designed mathemateically and geometrically perfectly, and subsequently feels soulless. I don't care if the balance of the elements are better and the lines are thicker and the face looks more like a traditional sports team logo face or whatever, I lke peculiarities in logos and I just feel like the original is better.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I like both versions of the logo, but the cleanup was an idea whose time had come. The only place I really see more "character" in the original logo is maybe in the face. Other than that, I mean, it was a logo from 1992 and updated in the intervening years. It's not like it was a hand-drawn logo from days of yore whose idiosyncrasies should be preserved. 

Also these logos sucked, bad, of course the unused one was better than these:

Ottawa Senators (2003 - 2007)2bkf2l3xyxi5p0cavbj8.gif

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Facepalm 1

I don’t have much to add here but the Senators have to have the worst logo history in big 4 sports for my money. Those lifeless white faces, design flaws, and uncanny valley aspects leave nothing to admire. I’m sure their fans like the Roman Senator look but I’d be tempted to shift towards a Canadian capital logo like the Weagle or Nationals  capital dome cap logo.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

7 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I don’t have much to add here but the Senators have to have the worst logo history in big 4 sports for my money. Those lifeless white faces, design flaws, and uncanny valley aspects leave nothing to admire. I’m sure their fans like the Roman Senator look but I’d be tempted to shift towards a Canadian capital logo like the Weagle or Nationals  capital dome cap logo.

Eh, I'd disagree. There's too much history wrapped in the current identity to drop it altogether (fans would riot if they rid of the look they just fought to get back), and too much design potential to waste it going for a design that's just "HEY GUIZ U KNOW WE'RE THE CAPITAL OF CANADA RIGHT?!"

• Like 3

Can't agree with you there. I think the original Senators logo was really cool. I like the update better, of course, but there was a lot to like about the original logo. They screwed with it too much by coming up with two different WHOOOA HE'S TURNING OUT OF THE SWEATER TO GLARE AT YOU logos, which is the same level of cornball as the Raiders fan art logo where the hand reveals a skull behind the face, but in actual use. Not to mention their history of terrible sweaters from about 1998 on -- the swooshy one, the Edge redesign, the SNES alt, etc.

I think the Peace Tower is compelling as supporting imagery, but the Roman senator concept was a clever one worth committing to. All that Times New Roman O stuff has never done it for me.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

I think the Peace Tower is compelling as supporting imagery, but the Roman senator concept was a clever one worth committing to. All that Times New Roman O stuff has never done it for me.

It's funny because I remember the outrage around here when the Roman concept was unveiled around 1992.  But, like anything, people warmed up to it.  I also feel like the Sens should have really owned the gold laurel leaf motif from the early-00's alt sweater, but now it's Vegas' thing.  For a Peace Tower logo I still really like the shoulder logo from that laurel leaf jersey.  They should replace the S logo on the shoulders with a version of that.

I also did like the =O= logo and I think it works for this team and the history of the original franchise.  I'd love to see that as an alternate again.

• Like 1