2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

I really wish the Lakers would do something to clean up that primary logo. It's one of those logos that's been around so long, it's easy to overlook how terrible it actually is. Almost looks like someone live traced it in illustrator. 

The Wordmark used on the uniforms and secondary L logo are both considerably better. Just base a primary around that style. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Maybe unpopular opinion - I like the softer purple for the Lakers just because IMO it gives more of a southern California golden hour/sunset vibe, or at least how I think of it. The pre-1999 purple is actually my preference. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

23 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I've never seen this SA logo before...

FzRFNAXXoAA0VG5?format=jpg&name=large

Looks like it may be the same logo the Spurs used for an Ebbets Field Flannels collaboration a few years back:

spacer.png

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/slideshow/Spurs-launch-limited-edition-vintage-inspired-213151.php

Pretty awesome stuff, if you ask me. 

• Like 11

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

16 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

It would be great if the Lakers could reincorporate the water droplets that have been lost to bad tracings and time 

(sorry Conrad, using your tweet)

Would be cool if they could use that "LAKERS" on a white or sky blue City Edition uniform at some point.

• Like 8

That's wild. I knew the lines were for depicting motion, but I didn't know they were initially from water.

I simply thought of the Lakers' logo as just another generic basketball logo, but now I have a little more appreciation for it.

• Like 6

So then what are the lines in the KINGS logo for, then? 😄

• LOL 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Looks like there was a gold and purple version of the water drip lines logo as well:

spacer.png

I have to be honest, the more I see the water drip version, the more I think I prefer it, despite the extra detail it adds. I kind of wish they’d update this one with the proper colors (with much more precise and cleaner tracing, of course).

• Like 10

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Looks like there was a gold and purple version of the water drip lines logo as well:

spacer.png

I have to be honest, the more I see the water drip version, the more I think I prefer it, despite the extra detail it adds. I kind of wish they’d update this one with the proper colors (with much more precise and cleaner tracing, of course).

Oh, cool, that's the other side of the program that contains the logo I posted before. Weird that there's 2 different colorings on one document, lol.

Jerry-West.jpg?id=3f55ad27-aed6-4262-8a0

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Absolutely! It actually fits with the name of the team and is far more visually engaging than any of the traces/botched vectorizations. Those very first digitizations of classic sports graphics misrepresented so many sports logos to the point of parody. Remember how the Brooklyn Dodgers' cap logo looked like this for about 20 years?

spacer.png

...or how the Skating Penguin never really looked correct in digital form?

pittsburgh_penguins_logo_primary_19738696.pnge258bf9ad45e5650_orig.jpg

So many mistakes were made because of wanting to "streamline" retro merchandise and using poor-quality references to generate digital renderings.

• Like 2

I think the logos/colors/brand are still some of the best in the NBA, so the new logo is alright, but definitely a step down from the previous logo. Something about it feels so much more muted and corporate now despite maintaining most of the  logo elements. I think it's because they took a cohesive and colorful logo (that used New Orleans imagery pretty well)  and reduced it into a simple logo above a wordmark. It also sucks that the logo lost most of its red, as it really popped against the somewhat bland blue/white/gold combo.

This just feels so much more stale, corporate, and a bit more disjointed since the logo and wordmark were made into separate entities. The brand is still good I guess, but this is nothing more than an unnecessary change. I wouldn't blame the Pelicans though, because I think it has something to do with NBA trying to streamline teams' logos to fit their different categories.

• Like 3