2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

Adam Silver did a guest spot on the local Celtics' broadcast last night and was eager to concede that the courts are less about people liking them than they are about being attention-grabbing, even for the casuals watching at a bar where the TV's muted. (Unsurprisingly Mike Gorman just kinda gave a "huh" with a pregnant pause, while Brian Scalabrine just got worked up about being at a bar.)

On 11/9/2023 at 10:29 AM, Ark said:

I agreed with this when I first read it but not anymore. Having the games spread out allows players and teams to get better between each of them, whereas in the regular playoffs if you go cold at all you’re done.

If you don’t like that you may as well not like the in-season tournament at all. And at point you’re just not liking it because it’s new and different.

> reporting live from Adam Silver's colon

• LOL 6

So I just saw one of these atrocities (sixers red) for the first time last night. I also just realized that these “in season tournament” games actually count towards the regular season standings? And the tournament is basically just random games spread out amongst some time frame and not like an actual tournament?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

51 minutes ago, BBTV said:

So I just saw one of these atrocities (sixers red) for the first time last night. I also just realized that these “in season tournament” games actually count towards the regular season standings? And the tournament is basically just random games spread out amongst some time frame and not like an actual tournament?

the tournament is a group stage with knockout single elimination after. the groups were drawn randomally. 

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

7 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

the tournament is a group stage with knockout single elimination after. the groups were drawn randomally. 

According to this, all the games except the final count in the standings, which implies that the teams that advance will have to "shave" other games from their schedule?  It's the most absurd concept I can remember.  Teams aren't going to "sell out" to win their seemingly-randomly-placed group stage games, nor will they sell out to win any of the other games.  

Keeping this on topic, the courts are atrocious.  I think I get what the league was going for - something that instantly signals that there's something "special" about the game - but it's not special, and it can actually be painful to watch.  

https://www.nba.com/news/in-season-tournament-101

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, Haz_Matt said:

Jazz purple uniforms on purple tournament court yesterday

spacer.png

Those jerseys are great; I’d be fine with the Jazz in purple and black; I’d love to see Utah base a new set around that. The court, on the other hand, just like most if not all the in-season tournament courts, not so much.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BBTV said:

According to this, all the games except the final count in the standings, which implies that the teams that advance will have to "shave" other games from their schedule?  It's the most absurd concept I can remember.  Teams aren't going to "sell out" to win their seemingly-randomly-placed group stage games, nor will they sell out to win any of the other games.  

Keeping this on topic, the courts are atrocious.  I think I get what the league was going for - something that instantly signals that there's something "special" about the game - but it's not special, and it can actually be painful to watch.  

https://www.nba.com/news/in-season-tournament-101

No.  As of right now, every team only has a set 80 games schedule.  On Dec 4 & 5, the quarterfinals are played in the two cities with the best round robin record.  Those count as game 81.  The losers will then play game 82 against the team in the same conference as them in Dec 8.  For the winners of the quarterfinals, they play game 82 in the semi finals on Dec. 7.  The two teams that play in the finals play game 83, that does not count towards the regular season.  All the teams that didn't make it past the round robin, will play two games Dec 6 and 8 based on how they finished in the round round standings and some other info.  So, there is no "shaving" of games.

The tournament is still 100% pointless and stupid.  For it to mean anything, you need to invite teams from other leagues/countries, or put a guarantee playoff spot or at least a play-in spot on the line.

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, Ark said:

Is this what MLB fans said when they first introduced the AL and NL Championship Series?

There's a difference between an expansion of the existing championship/playoff format and a gimmicky tournament that's basically bribing players to care about regular season games in November & December. 

Your analogy would make more sense if we were discussing the recently added play-in rounds of the playoffs, which have been much more well received than this tournament.

• Like 6

Feel like exotic stains would have still grabbed attention and not thrown so much paint on the floor so as to be a safety issue,

Then again, there have been overly painted floors in the past too (Houston, Charlotte) and were there player complaints then?

Always thought it was decals that led to slippage, not more paint.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

8 hours ago, TaylorMade said:

Feel like exotic stains (Brooklyn, or the Memphis Tigers would be examples) would have still grabbed attention and not thrown so much paint on the floor so as to be a safety issue,

Then again, there have been overly painted floors in the past too (Houston, Charlotte) and were there player complaints then?

Always thought it was decals that led to slippage, not more paint.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

On 11/16/2023 at 12:03 AM, M4One said:

No.  As of right now, every team only has a set 80 games schedule.  On Dec 4 & 5, the quarterfinals are played in the two cities with the best round robin record.  Those count as game 81.  The losers will then play game 82 against the team in the same conference as them in Dec 8.  For the winners of the quarterfinals, they play game 82 in the semi finals on Dec. 7.  The two teams that play in the finals play game 83, that does not count towards the regular season.  All the teams that didn't make it past the round robin, will play two games Dec 6 and 8 based on how they finished in the round round standings and some other info.  So, there is no "shaving" of games.

This is actually ridiculous. They should've made it its own separate thing, like how the FA Cup doesn't count toward Premier League standings. If it's just a regular season game, no one's going to care that much extra about it. The only special aspect of the game is getting to play on a horrendously ugly court.

I don't watch the NBA, so I haven't really been following along with this, but I can imagine that the fan reaction to this isn't too positive, either.

5 hours ago, ruttep said:

I can imagine that the fan reaction to this isn't too positive, either.

I don't watch much NBA till the playoffs (and even then it's only the Sixers) but even my big basketball-fan friends can't wrap their heads around this crap.

Why do these games matter to me?  OK, the players get a little extra money that most of them don't need, but as a fan, why do I give a F if these guys get even more money?  What's in it for me?  There's absolutely no reason for any fan to care any more about these games than they would a typical regular-season game.  I genuinely don't understand why 1) anyone would or should care, and 2) why any team should coach their game or work their lineup any differently than they would any other meaningless November game.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

23 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don't watch much NBA till the playoffs (and even then it's only the Sixers) but even my big basketball-fan friends can't wrap their heads around this crap.

Why do these games matter to me?  OK, the players get a little extra money that most of them don't need, but as a fan, why do I give a F if these guys get even more money?  What's in it for me?  There's absolutely no reason for any fan to care any more about these games than they would a typical regular-season game.  I genuinely don't understand why 1) anyone would or should care, and 2) why any team should coach their game or work their lineup any differently than they would any other meaningless November game.

Same here, and it's more to watch the Sixers in amusement since I know they'll choke.

• Yawn 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, BadSeed84 said:

I know they'll choke.

It's not choking if you're simply not good enough.

• Like 1