2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

4 hours ago, WBeltz said:

OKC's City gives off big "Warriors 2009" vibes to me. Maybe it's the colors that are similar. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Thunder really need to lean more into orange. But, generally speaking, as generic as their logo and jerseys may be ... the team colors are solid.

• Like 7

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Ban city uniforms in the playoffs that have a completely different color scheme than what a team usually wears.  What's the point of building an identity just to put on a "We believe warriors" costume for a huge game 5?

• Like 8
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, WBeltz said:

OKC's City gives off big "Warriors 2009" vibes to me. Maybe it's the colors that are similar. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Warriors aren't using it (and it never really made sense for them to go away from a classic scheme in the first place) so that doesn't bother me.

In fact, I'd like to see them shift and lean into a navy/orange/gold look. It's far more fitting for the name (dark navy feels more thunderstormy) and the lighter blue standard uniforms have always looked so generic. 

I think they look great tonight against Dallas. 

That said, still too many alternates these playoffs. I like the Knicks alt looks but I'd like to see them in their classic blues!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

In fact, I'd like to see them shift and lean into a navy/orange/gold look. It's far more fitting for the name (dark navy feels more thunderstormy) and the lighter blue standard uniforms have always looked so generic. 

I think they look great tonight against Dallas. 

I agree. Apart from those being their best-designed on-brand uniforms, they're also limited to the proper amount of colors used, and don't have any unnecessary outlines. The Insignia font doesn't look good outlined, at least not with multiple. The lighter blue is the odd one out in their color scheme, indeed.

Only that they should've emphasized orange and yellow on this respective alternate court of theirs. Now it looked all too muted and dark while they were wearing these unis.

EDIT: That, or a palette of orange, lighter blue, and white (maybe navy). But that gets too close to the Knicks territory. That's why they should focus on orange, what the Knicks have been frightened of doing all this time.

Edited by truepg
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, tscuzzy said:

Ban city uniforms in the playoffs that have a completely different color scheme than what a team usually wears.  What's the point of building an identity just to put on a "We believe warriors" costume for a huge game 5?

I agree. However, I am okay with the City Jerseys that are in team colors with no stupid HEAT CULTURE-like text. Additionally, I hate road teams wearing white on the road more so in the playoffs. I'm fine color vs. color, but I wish teams would keep things a little bit more traditional.

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

50 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Nuggets deserve to lose for wearing these 5280 uniforms again. 

I wonder if these are even popular among the fans. Just such lazy design, really shows how they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas at this point.

• Like 4

Wish teams could wear Classics for two or three seasons instead of just the one and done. Big fan of most…and this Timberwolves Classic was a good choice.

• Like 13

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Timberwolves OG throwbacks until this playoff run. I still prefer the KG trees set, but it’s a damn solid set.

The green and blue are balanced so well, it’s basic without being boring. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

13 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

Nuggets deserve to lose for wearing these 5280 uniforms again. 

I bet they do a white one next year 🙃

• LOL 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 5/6/2024 at 10:14 PM, Digby said:

Pacers planning to wear their yellow Statement jerseys for at least the first four games of the semis, after wearing them all through the first round, home and away. I guess we're leaning into that one. (Knicks are gonna alternate between white and navy, both home and road, in response).

Celtics/Cavs looks blessedly normal for the first four games. All white at home, Cleveland in black on the road and Boston in green.

Please don’t normalize the Cavs’ black-with-huge-logo abominations. They won a title in them but they’re not “normal”. They’re hideous. Cavs in wine uniforms would be normal. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

I wasn’t a big fan of the Timberwolves OG throwbacks until this playoff run. I still prefer the KG trees set, but it’s a damn solid set.

The green and blue are balanced so well, it’s basic without being boring. 

I'm in different on which look I like better, but it's just nice to see the Wolves WIN in these jerseys, because they are solid. It blows my mind with the fact that if the T'Wolves win out and win the championship they'll have won more games in these playoffs than the whole 1991-92 season.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Please don’t normalize the Cavs’ black-with-huge-logo abominations. They won a title in them but they’re not “normal”. They’re hideous. Cavs in wine uniforms would be normal. 

But, the question is ... what made them hideous? Was it the design or the sleeves?

The design itself (besides being BFBS) isn't THAT bad. The sleeves killed it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kolob said:

But, the question is ... what made them hideous? Was it the design or the sleeves?

The design itself (besides being BFBS) isn't THAT bad. The sleeves killed it.

Even if it were wine, the massive logo on the front instead of a wordmark would make it tacky. I’m just not a fan of that design at all. Their regular uniforms are a bit milquetoast - maybe they should embolden those a bit so they aren’t overly reliant on the city jersey. 

• Like 3

Here is the Cavs 2017 Title clinching jersey (with sleeves):

spacer.png

Here is their current black alt:

spacer.png

Outside of the use of gold vs yellow, and the number being moved due to a makers mark,  and the lack of trim on the collar. They carry a very similar design that is very plain. The sleeves I'm sure on the prior weren't everyone's favorite because they ruin the aesthetics of an NBA jersey. But both are just lazy, if not boring designs that could have done better.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

Here is the Cavs 2017 Title clinching jersey (with sleeves):

spacer.png

Here is their current black alt:

spacer.png

Outside of the use of gold vs yellow, and the number being moved due to a makers mark,  and the lack of trim on the collar. They carry a very similar design that is very plain. The sleeves I'm sure on the prior weren't everyone's favorite because they ruin the aesthetics of an NBA jersey. But both are just lazy, if not boring designs that could have done better.

The guy they hired to refine their brand is very bland.  Look at this years city connects vs. this boring lifeless set. 

44 minutes ago, walkerws said:

The guy they hired to refine their brand is very bland.  Look at this years city connects vs. this boring lifeless set. 

I don't like being overly critical of other artists/designers. Especially because he is very talented and successful. He is known for his work in visual arts, especially sculptures and interior spaces. Which like you said tends to be very bland and minimalistic. Theres a place for that type of style. His visual/physical designs inside Rocket Mortgage are very cool. It just comes off as too plain when adapted to a sports brand and hiring him still makes absolutely no sense. The Cavs brought in someone with no experience in brand design, sports design or graphic design to oversee their entire brand. 

To me that's like putting a graphic designer in charge of designing a building. Could they have some good ideas? Sure. But that's not their area of expertise and the end product probably wouldn't turn out very well.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Conference Finals LockerVision's up...

Minnesota is wearing white throwbacks at home, white current-era jerseys on the road. Mavericks wearing navy for all of them except G2, where the black City jersey gets out again.

Indiana is sticking with the yellow jerseys both at home and on the road. Boston is wearing white at home for G1, black at home G2, green for the away games. (Yellow vs green always is one of my favorite matchups so at least there's that.)

We're circling weirdly close to soccer-style "primary" vs "clash" jerseys here.

• Like 8