College Football 2023

MJWalker45

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Huh? I'm not sure I've ever witnessed this.

52 minutes ago, Cujo said:

30 years was a long time ago. Get over it. NFL fans aren't still crying about losses that happened 30 years ago. I can assure you Raiders fans have gotten over the Immaculate reception happening on them. Probably the tuck rule too.

For someone who talks like an authority on football you sure don't seem to know much about its culture

• Like 7
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, Cujo said:

30 years was a long time ago. Get over it. NFL fans aren't still crying about losses that happened 30 years ago. I can assure you Raiders fans have gotten over the Immaculate reception happening on them. Probably the tuck rule too.

I was being facetious to point out that FSU was once the beneficiary of the same voter bias that has now screwed them over. For all the changes that have been made over the past 30 years, we're still allowing personal opinions to decide a champion rather than the results on the field.

spacer.png

Just now, burgundy said:

we're still allowing personal opinions to decide a champion rather than the results on the field.

Who would the BCS computer have put into the playoffs? Do we still have someone who formulates this out there?

6uXNWAo.png

5 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Who would the BCS computer have put into the playoffs? Do we still have someone who formulates this out there?

According to one article I just saw, it was Georgia, with Ohio State at 5.

ESPN's computer is even weirder because it had Ohio State at 2, followed by Penn State!

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/espns-final-computer-rankings-leave-college-football-fans-baffled

https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1731327409075421597?t=4ywnBwx6ktG0VwS-O3FYLw&s=19

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Imagine if the NFL told the 2017 Eagles that since Carson Wentz was hurt they didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs and replaced them with the Cowboys

15 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Imagine had the 2017 Eagles been held out of the playoffs because of Carson Wentz's injury in the final weeks of the season.

Can someone call the audio department? There's a bad echo in here.

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Found on twitter. The BcS computer would sneak Ohio State in.

GAb-NoNXUAA-1p1?format=png&name=small

That makes even less sense than what we got. I'll be so glad when we have a proper playoff next year. Arguing about which 2 and 3 loss teams deserve the 12 spot is significantly less integral to the credibility of a championship title.

• Like 1

spacer.png

1 minute ago, burgundy said:

That makes even less sense than what we got. I'll be so glad when we have a proper playoff next year. Arguing about which 2 and 3 loss teams deserve the 12 spot is significantly less integral to the credibility of a championship title.

With 12 teams, folks will still cry about who team #13 because that's college football fans do. But it's reassuring to know TEAMS WHO GO 13-0 IN A POWER 5 CONFERENCE WON'T BE LEFT OUT.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

On 11/29/2023 at 11:53 AM, GDAWG said:

Arkansas has hired Bobby Petrino as their OC.  Let's hope Arkansas loses every game now.  

Guess them Hogs aren't happy unless they're risking abject humiliation.

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

Nick Saban without 5 star recruiting class talent

spacer.png

"Nick Saban would suck if he wasn't the best to ever do it at the most important part of his job" is an even dumber take than your March Madness posts.

Even beyond that, his approach to running a program is damn near unparalleled and it's not particularly surprising that, other than Urban, the only other coach to even touch him in modern times (Kirby) spent ten years under Saban.  He's remained successful despite having his position coaches poached more than any other coach and has been wildly successful at three different schools, winning national championships at two of them.  

He's also one of the best defensive minds the game has seen and is widely credited with inventing and popularizing pattern matching schemes, which completely changed how defense is played and is prevalent in both college and the NFL.

• Like 4

IUe6Hvh.png

31 minutes ago, Unocal said:

Nick Saban without 5 star recruiting class talent

Recruiting talent is literally one of the main parts of his job. 

You're basically saying "Nick Saban would suck at his job if he wasn't awesome at his job."  Ridiculous.

• LOL 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, raysox said:

Still frustrated in this decision, but I think the worst part is accelerating the death of another regional p5 conference

The ACC's death has long been a foregone conclusion.  They responded to the SEC's  (Texas and Oklahoma) and Big Ten's (USC, UCLA, Washington, and Oregon) expansion by adding Cal, Stanford, and SMU, which probably makes sense from a money perspective but as it relates to actual football, is subtraction by addition and probably makes it more likely that a middling program like Louisville slinks through to the CCG without playing any of the conference's best teams.

No matter what the committee decided here, we were very much heading towards a P2 with the Big XII and ACC being closer to the Mountain West than it is to either the Big Ten or SEC.

IUe6Hvh.png

7 hours ago, Unocal said:

FSU should boycott their bowl game

Yeah, and punish their own players.  That'll teach the committee!  Seriously dude.

7 hours ago, Unocal said:

They do matter - within your own league.  In a completely made up and subjectively filled playoff system, they don't matter.  I'm not sure why this is in question.  It's not a single league like the NFL, and the playoff is separate from the leagues they play in.

8 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Imagine if the NFL told the 2017 Eagles that since Carson Wentz was hurt they didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs and replaced them with the Cowboys

Poor comparison.  The NFL has rules and complete objectivity when it comes to who is in and what see they are.  This college football playoff thing is completely subjective, so doing what they did is well within the rules.  Unpopular, perhaps.  But within the rules.

Next year, FSU or someone in its position can hope that their Nick Foles lights it up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."