2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

Best uniforms in Bengals history. Change my mind.

spacer.png

spacer.png

These are my favorite NFL uniforms of all time. They were a modern update of a previous look that made it better -- the tiger stripes were cleaned up and more defined compared to the previous version. But, at least with this change, Cincinnati didn't try to remake the wheel like so many other teams in that era were starting to do. I really respect that. 

During the Reebok piping craze that came during this modernization wave, the Bengals "update" in 2004 (?) was welcomed by some because every one else was doing it. Keeping up with the Joneses. 

But they never ever should have changed from these. The full body tiger logo was the cherry on top. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Houston is also wearing the red helmets the following Sunday against Jacksonville (with the red jerseys).

That would be the final time they can wear it this season, which means they will not be wearing it for their Christmas Eve home game, which is an interesting choice.

So are alt. helmets given multiple desigantaions now? Before the Houston red was only with the red jersey, and the Bengals white was with the old white color rush (which was changed for the better). What's stopping the Saints or the Broncos from designating their alt helmets with some other uniform combo?

Potential hot take incoming:

I’m not sure if people would consider this “monochrome,” but if so, I think this is a much better way to go about it:

zReB6De.jpg

Teal socks would throw off the balance completely, but this looks just fine as an occasional combo. If the jersey matches the pants, then the helmet should match the socks and (ideally) be a different color. Buffalo pulled this off on Monday with white/blue/blue/white, & I could see the Ravens, for example, doing something similar with black/purple/purple/black.

To tie this point in with the Texans news, I actually really like that look, but it would be even better with red socks to match the helmet.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I’m not sure if people would consider this “monochrome,” but if so, I think this is a much better way to go about it:

zReB6De.jpg

Teal socks would throw off the balance completely, but this looks just fine as an occasional combo. If the jersey matches the pants, then the helmet should match the socks and (ideally) be a different color. Buffalo pulled this off on Monday with white/blue/blue/white, & I could see the Ravens, for example, doing something similar with black/purple/purple/black.

To tie this point in with the Texans news, I actually really like that look, but it would be even better with red socks to match the helmet.

I love this look for Jacksonville, but I’d also say their teal/white/teal combo is great as well.

spacer.png

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

So are alt. helmets given multiple desigantaions now? Before the Houston red was only with the red jersey, and the Bengals white was with the old white color rush (which was changed for the better). What's stopping the Saints or the Broncos from designating their alt helmets with some other uniform combo?

The Cowboys do this as well, they just change out their stickers. The White helmets have been used with the navy Throwback  jerseys, and the Color Rush uniforms.  

20 hours ago, ruttep said:

Best uniforms in Bengals history. Change my mind.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I agree, with the caveat that I wish they had orange jerseys and pants in the rotation too.

I know some people like their current uniforms, but there's just too many things they get wrong with the stripes to make them better than the classics. It's like they went out of their way to avoid black stripes on an orange base.

• Applause 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Do you really want to see that Saints black helmet paired with their already hideous all-black set? It’s bad enough with the Color Rush. It wouldn’t look good with any other combo unfortunately.

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

zReB6De.jpg

I thought the same thing Sunday. The black socks balanced out the whole thing nicely. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

610WeEQo.jpeg

All the teams playing on Thanksgiving will be wearing a John Madden patch.

https://uni-watch.com/2023/11/15/nfl-ramps-up-madden-messaging-for-2023-thanksgiving/

That should of been silver and black so it would acknowledge his coaching time with the Raiders! This disappoints me that they chose brown and orange instead!!!

3 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

That should of been silver and black so it would acknowledge his coaching time with the Raiders! This disappoints me that they chose brown and orange instead!!!

Since they're acknowledging him as an announcer and not as a coach, using Thanksgiving colors makes more sense. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Needs red socks but this is FYAH 🔥

Also note admin got the Color Rush pants mixed up with the Road Blue pants (see striping) lol 

This makes me wonder if this a preview of their rebranded look next season to test the waters on a red helmet, blue jersey home look. 

Red helmets and blue jerseys look great. Just need red socks and that is enough to look great on the field.

• Like 2

Thoughts on this week's matchups ahead of tomorrow's game:

- The Ravens wearing the all-black at some point this season was inevitable, but that doesn't mean I have to like it when they do go all-black. Could have chosen a different opponent than the Bengals, whose white uniforms are basically black and white below the helmet.

- Cardinals/Texans will look bizarre. I'll reserve judgement on the red helmet/navy color rush until we see it on the field, but I don't have high hopes for it.

- Bears/Lions should look good, as long as the Lions wear their silver pants.

- Panthers, whatever you do, please don't wear white leggings with your black jersey ever again. I'm still holding out hope that they break out their classic black jersey/silver pants home combo against the Cowboys.

- Not the biggest fan of the Packers' throwbacks, but the Chargers aren't the worst opponent to wear them against. They're certainly better than last year's throwback game against the Jets, who were in the middle of their black leggings run.

- Raiders/Dolphins should look good. Dolphins will probably be in all-white, but it's one of the better all-white looks in my opinion, and will pair fine with the Raiders in black.

- Commies need to burn their BFBS alternates yesterday. Actually one of the worst uniforms in NFL history. Despite not wearing grey pants anymore, the Giants' road uniforms can actually look fine against the right opponent. The BFBS Commies aren't that opponent.

- Steelers/Browns will look incredible, per usual

- Titans/Jaguars will be fine if not spectacular. At least the Titans are wearing their socks properly this week.

- Bucs/Niners will look good. I expect pewter pants for that game.

- Jets/Bills will likely be ruined by the Jets. They only wear all white or black leggings with their white jerseys these days.

- Seahawks/Rams will look as good as it can with the Seahawks in grey pants. Hoping the Rams wear their yellow pants.

- Vikings/Broncos will look good with the Broncos in the alternate that should be a primary. They'll probably go mono-navy, but it's not even that bad as far as mono-navy goes.

- Chiefs, Eagles, do not, I repeat, DO NOT go all-red vs all-white. I know the players probably want to. Don't listen to them.

16 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Needs red socks but this is FYAH 🔥

Also note admin got the Color Rush pants mixed up with the Road Blue pants (see striping) lol 

This makes me wonder if this a preview of their rebranded look next season to test the waters on a red helmet, blue jersey home look. 

Red pants would have offset this nicely, IMO. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

The Bengals (very minor) problems would be solved if they just used one pair of white pants with both orange and black striping

Minor quibble, I like the setup as it exists now.

I like the white jersey having only black stripes and the white/black only pants match that very well. I could see tweaking the orange/black striped pants in a way to more appropriately tie into the black jersey but it's something I'm cool living with.

My only quibble is the tendency to over mix. The black/white only pants should only go with the white jersey (though there's an argument for the orange jersey as well). Use the orange forward pants with the black jersey.

I like the black pants on the road with the white socks, not orange. For the home set, I like the idea of black being the "normal" color socks with the orange ones coming out for "big games."

I like both of these. Just pick one and stick with it. Don't care which.

XCS6VFTPPA3LCAETNVRP2LVATM.jpg6XCA66XBGRBIXND674PJVUUKDQ.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ruttep said:

- Titans/Jaguars will be fine if not spectacular.

It will be neither of those:

This at least gives me hope that their "blackout" game against the white tiger Bengals may end up featuring teal pants, since they haven't worn that combo yet and have just that game left to do so.