2023 NFL Regular Season Through Super Bowl LVIII

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

What the hell was Carolina thinking drafting this kid?  You can be undersized and have success, but this kid doesn't even look like an adult.  I can't believe he was successful even in college.  Shame on their scouts - he's got no chance, and that franchise is screwed for years.

Look up the Panthers' owner's comments on Young. He literally said that Young doesn't need elite receivers because he's such a good "point guard" who can spread the ball around.

During the pregame, one of the analysts was talking about a conversation he had with decision makers from the Panthers. Apparently, they are totally convinced that Young would look great in Houston too and he just doesn't have the weapons in Carolina. I don't think I've ever heard such a delusional statement in my life. What weapons does Stroud have in Houston?? They're literally the one team with less WR talent.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

14 hours ago, BBTV said:

In more than 30 years of watching NFL football, without hyperbole, this may be the worst game I've ever seen.

What the hell was Carolina thinking drafting this kid?  You can be undersized and have success, but this kid doesn't even look like an adult.  I can't believe he was successful even in college.  Shame on their scouts - he's got no chance, and that franchise is screwed for years.

As for the Bears, whether they have Fields or not is irrelevant.  He's nothing, will be nothing, and never was anything.  The perfect example of why you don't draft a QB simply because you need one.  That pick set them back years.  Bears fans deserve so much more.

Carolina saw visions of Young being Kyler Murray 2.0 in their heads.  Murray could at least run the ball and had a still really good (although aging) Larry Fitzgerald as a rookie.  

10 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Kyler Murray 2.0

that's not something any team should want.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BBTV said:

To be fair, at least Murray was Rookie of the Year and elevated the Cardinals. But then it became Cards being Cardinals, ownership, Kingsbury and Call of Duty. And you wonder why fans want the Bidwell family to sell

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

40 minutes ago, BBTV said:

A better analogy would probably be Drew Brees 2.0.  Not Brees at the end of his career, but when he got to New Orleans and was the best QB in that division for at least a decade.  

19 hours ago, BBTV said:

As for the Bears, whether they have Fields or not is irrelevant.  He's nothing, will be nothing, and never was anything.  The perfect example of why you don't draft a QB simply because you need one.  That pick set them back years.  Bears fans deserve so much more.

Fields is not the guy, Bagent is barely a competent backup, and the Score is trying to start a race war over the whole thing because they bet big on Fields and lost. Even by Bears discourse standards, it's unedifying.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

There's no way 💀💀💀

Reminds me of when that girl tried to blackmail Jagr but he wasn't married and he didn't really have anything to hide. Belichick's divorced, right? Good for him for doing anything other than football.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Bagent is barely a competent backup

Did you see when they showed his dad, who apparently made his entire living off of arm wrestling, and still competes at a world-class level?  Like... apparently that was his only job.  He also looks like he's only 10 years older than Tyson.

092016-people-to-know-252x189.jpg

If I'm the Bears, and have already done everything wrong and have nothing to lose, I'd bring him in, put him at center, and have the first ever father-son combo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's ironic that Bagent pere made his entire living off arm strength when Bagent fils keeps getting all his wet-fart throws picked off. It's like being the son of a pilot and having astigmatism.

20 minutes ago, BBTV said:

He also looks like he's only 10 years older than Tyson.

Those pickled Scotch-Irish either age like milk or stay 19 forever with no middle ground. Or he is only 10 years older.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 8:47 AM, DustDevil61 said:

Are we sure Tepper’s not trying to pull some kind of Major League situation here? I wouldn’t entirely be surprised if we found out he’s been on the phone with San Antonio, San Diego, or St. Louis groups for a while now.

On 11/9/2023 at 2:23 PM, throwuascenario said:

I've seen that theory before though and never understood the logic. Why couldn't he still move the team if they were good? There's nothing in the lease about low attendance allowing them to move as in the movie (I think, I've never seen it). Wouldn't it be easier to some extent to get tax dollars in any city for a stadium for a good team than for a terrible team?

Lastly, why would he want to move the team at all? There's no market that doesn't have a team that would be even close to as attractive a market as Charlotte. And his hometown (Pittsburgh) will never ever get a second team.

I definitely could see him moving the team, don't get me wrong. But that would be because he doesn't get the stadium deal he wants, not because he wants the team in a different market. So how could he have known in advance he wouldn't get a stadium deal? It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe I am missing something, but part of my impression of David Tepper is that from the moment that he secured ownership of the Carolina Panthers, he has been agitating for, at the minimum, an extensive renovation and rebuild of the Panthers' current stadium or, at the maximum, the building of a whole new stadium for the Panthers.  Thus, it stands to reason that if no government in the Charlotte area is offering a stadium deal that pleases Tepper enough, he will at least be tempted to consider moving the Panthers to a place like St. Louis (with an indoor stadium that might be easy to renovate), San Antonio (also with an indoor venue that might be easy to refurbish), or San Diego (with usually more comfortable weather for outdoor football than Charlotte and a new-ish college stadium designed for easy expansion to an NFL-level seating capacity).

As for why Tepper would sabotage the Panthers on the field in order to help justify a relocation, one must consider that the NFL's leadership and the owners and executives of teams across the league might be simply much more comfortable from a public relations standpoint if a team that loses a lot of games and thus has below-average attendance is trying to move than if a frequently winning team with above-average attendance is seeking to relocate.

Yeah owners are less likely to approve removing a presence in a market that seems healthy, unless the shared revenue is being affected, or the owner can demonstrate with real numbers how much the stadium situation is leading to low revenue figures. 

that may be difficult to do if it’s constantly selling out and people are spending money there despite the stadium (though if it doesn’t have the suites and other big-money things, can’t really compensate for that). 

People will go to dumps to watch NFL football if the team is worth watching. Losing games and artificially lowering support is a good first step towards moving the team, BUT it’s a huge risk, because you’re sacrificing lots of revenue now in the hopes of lots of revenue in 10 years, but if nothing happens, it’s impossible to recoup that revenue, and you could lose a lot of equity with your fan base (though winning tends to heal all wounds). 

edit: if the owners can block it at all. I think we’ve seen (and there may have been a legal ruling?) that they can’t block any move, all they can do is make an absurd relo fee. 

For anyone who's counted out the Cowboys in the NFCE, here's the upcoming schedule for both teams (graphic from a Schefter tweet):

F-vx2KUW8AATWis?format=jpg&name=large

After this, it's PHI at DAL, where DAL will very likely be favored, and the records could be even at that point, with both teams at 9-3.

THEN, if DAL wins at home, they'll be 10-3, eagles 9-4 (if Eagles drop 2 of those 3).  THEN, Eagles go to Seattle, who's always good at home, so Eagles could potentially fall to 9-5, at which point it'd be curtains.

Dallas still has Miami and Detroit towards the EOY, but Detroit is at Dallas, so that's likely a win.  And Miami sucks.

Dallas could very easily finish 14-3, or 13-4, and take the division and home field (if Detroit slips some, and SF drops another.)

Dallas typically does Dallas things and coaches themselves to a few losses that they shouldn't have, but they've probably already got those out of their system.

2 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

moving the Panthers to a place like St. Louis (with an indoor stadium that might be easy to renovate)

That cheap dump is beyond help.

I don't think the NFL would give up on Charlotte, but they gave up on San Diego, a market with a longer track record of NFL success and an objectively superior city, so who's to say.

49 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't think the NFL would give up on Charlotte, but they gave up on San Diego, a market with a longer track record of NFL success and an objectively superior city, so who's to say.

The NFL would require a new stadium, similar to what was shown near the river. I also don't see a reason to move a team just because they have crappy owners. If that were the case the NFL would have teams in new locations every year. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Maybe I am missing something, but part of my impression of David Tepper is that from the moment that he secured ownership of the Carolina Panthers, he has been agitating for, at the minimum, an extensive renovation and rebuild of the Panthers' current stadium or, at the maximum, the building of a whole new stadium for the Panthers.  Thus, it stands to reason that if no government in the Charlotte area is offering a stadium deal that pleases Tepper enough, he will at least be tempted to consider moving the Panthers to a place like St. Louis (with an indoor stadium that might be easy to renovate), San Antonio (also with an indoor venue that might be easy to refurbish), or San Diego (with usually more comfortable weather for outdoor football than Charlotte and a new-ish college stadium designed for easy expansion to an NFL-level seating capacity).

As for why Tepper would sabotage the Panthers on the field in order to help justify a relocation, one must consider that the NFL's leadership and the owners and executives of teams across the league might be simply much more comfortable from a public relations standpoint if a team that loses a lot of games and thus has below-average attendance is trying to move than if a frequently winning team with above-average attendance is seeking to relocate.

Tepper also owns an MLS team with Charlotte FC.  If he moves the Panthers elsewhere, it could get awkward for Charlotte FC unless he sells it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Is SD an objectively-superior football city?  Genuine question, I really don't know, but according to this graph I found through a quick google search (the source may or may not be reliable), they weren't lighting it up attendance wise prior to the move to LA (and I assume that in both cities, a good portion of that attendance is visiting fans on a road trip.)

I was unable to find anything that even appeared to be reliable for Carolina, but what I did find had them ranked much higher than SD averaged.

On the surface, San Diego has way more to offer than Charlotte, but does it matter if there's not the same support?

• Like 2