MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

9 minutes ago, Brian E said:

i know "tradition" and all, but if nike was insistent on this template, why didn't they just go to full pullovers instead of button-downs? button down jerseys don't really serve much in the way of in-game function, and i'd venture to say that it may even hurt them in retail. i don't know, seems wild that of all the innovation and everything, we still go with buttons because that how it was done for the majority of the game's history.

I haven’t gotten a chance to talk about this, but I’ve been on this train for a while now. Even when I was playing baseball I didn’t really understand the need for buttons & thought they were a bit cumbersome.

• Like 2

UniWatch posits the Angels might be promoting the 70s throwbacks to a full time alternate because the throwback hat listing on the MLB shop says "on-field".

New Era makes retail versions of whatever hat is worn on-field and these throwback Angels hats were up for sale whenever they have worn them before, but I don't recall what they (or other team's different hats) were designated as before. Is there any truth to that specific wording or designation of hats?

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

UniWatch posits the Angels might be promoting the 70s throwbacks to a full time alternate because the throwback hat listing on the MLB shop says "on-field".

New Era makes retail versions of whatever hat is worn on-field and these throwback Angels hats were up for sale whenever they have worn them before, but I don't recall what they (or other team's different hats) were designated as before. Is there any truth to that specific wording or designation of hats?

Doesnt mean much.  The Shop also has the Nats stras and stripes hat, the Astros orange hat, and Rockies purple hat all as “on-field” and none of them were worn the past 2 seasons at least.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

2 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

the Astros orange hat, and Rockies purple hat all as “on-field” and none of them were worn the past 2 seasons at least.

These two ought to be  each team’s primary “on-field” hat.

• Like 5

Mets new Nike fan replica has been released. Looks largely the same.

While we have been ragging on a lot of the new Nike designs, I will admit getting the front numbers and sleeve patches back on the replicas is a major win. They were only available on the authentics under Majestic and then Nike continued to use rebadged Majestics product for the first few years of their partnership.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Mets new Nike fan replica has been released. Looks largely the same.

While we have been ragging on a lot of the new Nike designs, I will admit getting the front numbers and sleeve patches back on the replicas is a major win. They were only available on the authentics under Majestic and then Nike continued to use rebadged Majestics product for the first few years of their partnership.

I'm not sure if these are replica jerseys. Those typically have came without patches or front numbers.

31 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I'm not sure if these are replica jerseys. Those typically have came without patches or front numbers.

They are replicas. Normal sizes instead of numbered sizes (size 40, 44, etc). Heat applied graphics. No laser cut numbers. Heat applied jock tag.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

Well damn, may have to get a new Phillies light blue jersey.

Which also will be interesting to see how Nike handles racing stripes on the jerseys.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:28 PM, Brian E said:

i know "tradition" and all, but if nike was insistent on this template, why didn't they just go to full pullovers instead of button-downs? button down jerseys don't really serve much in the way of in-game function, and i'd venture to say that it may even hurt them in retail. i don't know, seems wild that of all the innovation and everything, we still go with buttons because that how it was done for the majority of the game's history.

This is anecdotal, but I work for a Minor League team. When we run auctions on game-worn jerseys, the button-down designs consistently do better than pullovers. I think it seems more "authentic" or premium because of both the tradition of button-down baseball jerseys and the construction adding a perceived quality, kind of like stitched numbers vs. heat pressed.

Maybe the new Braves jersey isn’t indicative of how the placket and script will co-mingle. I was concerned seeing how the lowercase “a” was badly obscured. But here’s a current Nike replica and it has the same issue. Hopefully the gamers will still have a clean, legible script.

spacer.png

On 1/6/2024 at 6:24 PM, YELDARBfield said:

This is anecdotal, but I work for a Minor League team. When we run auctions on game-worn jerseys, the button-down designs consistently do better than pullovers. I think it seems more "authentic" or premium because of both the tradition of button-down baseball jerseys and the construction adding a perceived quality, kind of like stitched numbers vs. heat pressed.

that's really interesting. makes sense. i wonder if it's a chicken-and-the-egg scenario though. like, if on-field authentics were pullovers, they'd be more in demand on the game-used market.

i also think this is a generational thing, to a degree. most kids that grow up playing nowadays are used to pullovers. even all the big showcase brands, like perfect game, use sublimated pullovers for their workout shirts and a lot of their game stuff. wonder if the pullover may phase in as those groups get more buying power.

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

that's really interesting. makes sense. i wonder if it's a chicken-and-the-egg scenario though. like, if on-field authentics were pullovers, they'd be more in demand on the game-used market.

i also think this is a generational thing, to a degree. most kids that grow up playing nowadays are used to pullovers. even all the big showcase brands, like perfect game, use sublimated pullovers for their workout shirts and a lot of their game stuff. wonder if the pullover may phase in as those groups get more buying power.

I'm mid-40s and grew up being used to pullovers in all youth leagues, most high schools, many colleges (the iconic Stanford ones come to mind), and of course, the MLB teams that were wearing them - which was quite a few.

I don't particularly understand any functional advantage of button downs other than being easier to put on without messing up your hair (if that's something anyone cares about) but aesthetically, I hate when pinstriped teams have trim, and pullovers necessitate that, at least at the neck.

Also, (this is a minority opinion) traditional left-chest logos and lower-left numbers look odd on pullovers.  I know it's a normal thing in soccer and even in baseball, but it looks odd to me.  The Toronto pullovers made sense.

1195144624.jpg.jpg  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As someone who owns both a pullover and a buttoned jersey, I definitely prefer the buttoned one. But I guess I do also like to wear button down short sleeved shirts in general during the summer, so it comes down to personal preference.

I would imagine any sort of pullover works better from a merchandizing perspective because they're a better fit for off-field wear for fans to buy. A basketball jersey looks very silly as a piece of casualwear for a regular person, but it just looks "right" in-game (and trying to nudge that toward casualwear is a bad idea, as Adidas found out in the '10s). A button-down baseball jersey isn't quite that extreme, but does follow a similar arc.