MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

9 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Or they could just go back to a color scheme that is clearly preferred (teal) and one that no Marlins fan wanted to get rid of. They have only been teal-less for so many years due to owner hubris.

NYC carpetbagger Jeffrey Loria decided to Yankee-fy the Marlins original uniform set as soon as he bought the team. They were still technically a "teal" team but it was basically BFBS with teal very attenuated. He got rid of it altogether when the new stadium opened just because he wanted to flex his ego and put his stamp on things. Jeter did exactly the same thing when he bought the team.

I feel like the team bosses just doesn't get it. They are not gaining any extra revenue by having this soulless identity trotted out since 2019 that most fans merely tolerate on the basis of "hey, at least the blue jersey is cool!" Look around Marlins Park on game day. Most people are either wearing City Connects or vintage teal.

The Marlins do seem to be in a Padres-like situation where most of the fans clearly want to go back to the original color scheme, but ownership seems to not want to.

For me, having no tie to the Marlins, my only hesitation would be in not wanting to lose that gorgeous blue color, while going to a color another team already has (the Mariners). If Charlotte ends up getting an expansion team, I'd fully support them adopting that blue (essentially, the Knights' new color scheme) and the Marlins going back to teal. 

I also think teal & black on its own can get a bit drab at times, even with a larger presence of teal. My solution, as I've mentioned, would be to add a little bit of pink: it'd be perfect for Miami, and would even tie to a bit of unknown history that they were almost named the Flamingos

• Like 5

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

Nationals is a dumb-ass name anyway.  I know what the literal word means, but it's a stupid name for a sports team.  Nobody says "oh, that Joey - now that's a fine national if I've ever seen one."

An even more stupid name is "Phillies" which is a short name for "Philadelphias". In essence, the Southeast Pennsylvania ballclub is called the Philadelphia Philadelphias.

• Like 2

Just now, BrySmalls said:

An even more stupid name is "Phillies" which is a short name for "Philadelphias". In essence, the Southeast Pennsylvania ballclub is called the Philadelphia Philadelphias.

True, but that's from 1800s.  This version of the Nationals was what- 2004?  They could have done whatever they wanted.  It does get half a pass since it's a resurrection of an old name (like Grays would have been... and still what I wished they went with) but out of context, it's ridiculous (same with Phillies.)  Phillies tried tinkering with it in the 40s, but that didn't go over so well.  

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

28 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I still feel strongly that the Marlins’ jerseys desperately need front numbers. They just look too plain and incomplete without them.

That's partially what made the Miami vice uniforms so great: The contrasting colors between name and number.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

sp4qffcu3np5vk8zi5ot.jpg

Now that we have new *cringe* National unis -- it's safe to say Washington is home to THE WORST uniforms of all pro sports.

- Nationals, wtf home uni.

- Wizards, quazi-retro mess.

- Capitals, 00s Reebok trash.

- Commanders, there are no words.

• Like 3
  • Hurl 2

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

True, but that's from 1800s.  This version of the Nationals was what- 2004?  They could have done whatever they wanted.  It does get half a pass since it's a resurrection of an old name (like Grays would have been... and still what I wished they went with) but out of context, it's ridiculous (same with Phillies.)  Phillies tried tinkering with it in the 40s, but that didn't go over so well.  

If I remember correctly, the Nats Front Office was considering Senators as the team name back in 2004. However, it was ruled out since DC doesn't have any voting representation in the Senate. I agree with you about using the Grays nickname, which was a missed opportunity. 

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I still feel strongly that the Marlins’ jerseys desperately need front numbers. They just look too plain and incomplete without them.

100% agree with you. Of course, I'm a fan of front numbers in general, despite their current Nikefication.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I also think teal & black on its own can get a bit drab at times, even with a larger presence of teal. My solution, as I've mentioned, would be to add a little bit of pink: it'd be perfect for Miami, and would even tie to a bit of unknown history that they were almost named the Flamingos

I'd like to see the Marlins go teal/orange/black/white, and return to block font numbers. 

• Huh? 1

46 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Now that we have new *cringe* National unis -- it's safe to say Washington is home to THE WORST uniforms of all pro sports.

- Nationals, wtf home uni.

- Wizards, quazi-retro mess.

- Capitals, 00s Reebok trash.

- Commanders, there are no words.

Agree 100%. While the WFT/R------- uniforms were getting a bit long in the tooth (and the team kept dicking around with monochrome variants), they were classics that had stood the test of time. Caps just need to get it over with and put the Weagle on the home jerseys (while the blue alt would be a jumping off point for a decent road jersey). Their jerseys have whipsawed between boring and bad for too long.

Edited by M59
typo
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 10:52 AM, FiddySicks said:

I love that Billy Gil is dropping Marlins news now in the same manner that Roy does for the Panthers and Mike Ryan does for U of Miami football. 

Meek Bill

22 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

According to the Washington Post:

Red curly W cap with the home script uniforms

Navy blue cap with red brim with the greys and navy blues\ uniforms

Capital W hat with the pullover

The one good part of the new look.  Putting together looks that go together.  The manifest destiny of the Capitol Dome cap was a horror.

19 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Marlins reveal makes me wish management brought back the home run sculpture rather than letting it rot outside the stadium. 

I'm reminded of those times, but because seeing the wordmark in white makes it just look like the previous set to me.  Its brightness hides the other colors, so I barely even see a difference between this and the last black alt (besides the font)

18 hours ago, BBTV said:

Nobody says "oh, that Joey - now that's a fine national if I've ever seen one."

I... think that might have more to do with team quality than anything.  🤣

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Marlins do seem to be in a Padres-like situation where most of the fans clearly want to go back to the original color scheme, but ownership seems to not want to.

For me, having no tie to the Marlins, my only hesitation would be in not wanting to lose that gorgeous blue color, while going to a color another team already has (the Mariners). If Charlotte ends up getting an expansion team, I'd fully support them adopting that blue (essentially, the Knights' new color scheme) and the Marlins going back to teal. 

Although the Marlins and Mariners both unveiled new brandings in 1993, I still contend that the Marlins "wore it first" especially since their announcement came months earlier.

I also think the shade of "teal" is distinct enough for both teams and I actually don't even consider the Mariners' Northwest Green to be teal per se, anyway.

But I definitely disagree with any notion that the Marlins should back away from teal because of the Mariners. And I also don't think the "Miami blue" shade is *that* good.

In no shape or form would I consider *this* drab:

usa_today_20364376.jpg

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Digby said:

There, I fixed it.

marlins.png 

You have to assume they actually thought of this and made a textile prototype. I wonder why they didn't think it was viable. I'm curious to see what a "real" version would look like.

The more I reflect on the black jersey change, the more I sour on the decision to make white lettering. It's a total mismatch with the hat design, too.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

It's giving me serious "Washington Baseball Team" vibes.

I'm not a professional, I'm just in favor of logos.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫