MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

18 minutes ago, Cujo said:

🚨 UNPOPULAR OPINION 🚨

I'm actually OK with the smaller font for surnames a dozen letters long.

I think I agree with you.

This guy’s name is not particular long. But look how much it’s intruding into the number’s space.

spacer.png

Heaven forbid we have someone with a true long name.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Everyone went crazy over this image because the jersey definitely looks different while on the hanger.

But seeing it actually being worn, does this look so bad? I don’t think so.

I think it’s a lot of change all at once, and people just aren’t used to it after baseball has looked a certain way for so long. Don’t get me wrong, I hate some of the changes Nike’s made like the sleeve trim forcing teams to change, and tweaking pants trim (Braves), but I think the name concern is largely overblown.

Also, I realized that photo of the Cardinals players on the field confirms the chain stitched patch is gray on the road jersey. I forget who, but someone brought that up as a concern that it could be a white outline since it’s no longer direct embroidery.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 3

On 2/13/2024 at 10:34 AM, CC97 said:

In other 2024 baseball uniform news today, Nike gave us the lowdown on their new retail jersey options. For the first time in a while, there will be more than just the on-field authentic and replicas offered to fans, as they've added a third in-between option.

The on-fields will be called the Vapor Premier Elite -- they are not yet available; the mid-tier (the only ones available to purchase right now) are the Vapor Premier Limited, and the cheapy replicas (also not yet available) are the Vapor Premier Game.

Why aren't the game jerseys called "Game"? I don't know.

spacer.png

Funny enough, it's the sane naming scheme as Nike's NFL jerseys. Game, Limited, and Elite.

On the addition of a middle-level retail jersey, interesting. Afaik, that's never been a thing in Baseball, just an NFL thing with Replica, Premiere, and Authentic, which became Game, Limited, and Elite when Nike took over in 2012. Does Nike have something against the word "Replica" at all?

• Like 1

da0Lbhs.png

Some random thoughts just based on everything we've seen so far:

• I really don't think the smaller player names look bad at all. If anything, I think it illuminates that the former player names were at least a bit too big.
  • The Braves switching to red piping is a definite upgrade. I wish they'd drop the all-navy cap that goes along with it (and the road jersey) too.
  • I agree with @coco1997 that the Nats losing the front number is a downgrade to their set, as the contrast was nice. (Keep in mind, the new away jersey does have a front number, so it wasn't even done in the name of consistency).
  • The bright colors of these caps are really nice for Spring Training, especially when paired with brighter colored jerseys, as well. The O's, Marlins, and Rockies are some particular stand-outs. 
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

Funny enough, it's the sane naming scheme as Nike's NFL jerseys. Game, Limited, and Elite.

On the addition of a middle-level retail jersey, interesting. Afaik, that's never been a thing in Baseball, just an NFL thing with Replica, Premiere, and Authentic, which became Game, Limited, and Elite when Nike took over in 2012. Does Nike have something against the word "Replica" at all?

I think maybe they avoid "Replica" at the pro level.  I noticed recently that most every college basketball jersey and shorts is labeled "Replica". 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

50 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Marlins using blue better and it actually improves their black when you have this better balance of colors. 

Look at Luzardo's jersey. Now we know what players look like when they sweat in the new jerseys. I don't know how they compare to last year's jerseys but there it is.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The jersey looks like a bad replica t-shirt...and WTF is up with the pocket placement on those pants? If I was a player it would infuriate me to a) no longer be able to customize my pants and b) have the pockets be halfway down my ass. That placement is decidedly lower than on the 2023 pants.
As once said to a former boss: you never miss something you didn't have...but you take away something people came to expect...they're gonna be very unhappy.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, M59 said:

The jersey looks like a bad replica t-shirt...and WTF is up with the pocket placement on those pants? If I was a player it would infuriate me to a) no longer be able to customize my pants and b) have the pockets be halfway down my ass. That placement is decidedly lower than on the 2023 pants.
As once said to a former boss: you never miss something you didn't have...but you take away something people came to expect...they're gonna be very unhappy.

Not too much different...maybe a 1/2 inch or an inch lower than last year

2023 MLB All-Star Break: When do games resume after All-Star break? -  DraftKings Network

Spoiler alert - nothing is going to be done.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Sad 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Spoiler alert - nothing is going to be done.

“It is believed to be too late”…for what, a regular season seven weeks away? 

Nike has the resources to draw up new requirements quickly if MLBPA is really pissed off. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Nike has the resources to draw up new requirements quickly if MLBPA is really pissed off. 

Too much stock on hand to change.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

I wonder if some teams who made no changes will just wear last years jerseys. The Yankees seem like they would do that.

My issue is less with the on-field jerseys and more about what they are giving to fans, that stuff looks real bad compared to the quality that Majestic had been putting out for years. There is no excuse to downgrade like that.

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, ptay said:

Look at Luzardo's jersey. Now we know what players look like when they sweat in the new jerseys. I don't know how they compare to last year's jerseys but there it is.....

But i thought these new jerseys got rid of pit and sweat stains, and made sure they would evaporate right away?

Don't tell me i have been swindled!

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Awesome, no (sane) fans will buy them,   and  teams are pissed as well.

Looks like you CAN push people too far. And be too greedy.

FU Nike! 🥳

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Some random thoughts just based on everything we've seen so far:

• I really don't think the smaller player names look bad at all. If anything, I think it illuminates that the former player names were at least a bit too big.
  • The Braves switching to red piping is a definite upgrade. I wish they'd drop the all-navy cap that goes along with it (and the road jersey) too.
  • I agree with @coco1997 that the Nats losing the front number is a downgrade to their set, as the contrast was nice. (Keep in mind, the new away jersey does have a front number, so it wasn't even done in the name of consistency).
  • The bright colors of these caps are really nice for Spring Training, especially when paired with brighter colored jerseys, as well. The O's, Marlins, and Rockies are some particular stand-outs. 

They were not too big. they were easier to read.

And for $400+ the paying fans want something that feels like quality, not a bootleg jersey.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Not too much different...maybe a 1/2 inch or an inch lower than last year

2023 MLB All-Star Break: When do games resume after All-Star break? -  DraftKings Network

Except, those aren't "last year's" game pants. They're All Star Game Pants in the current template. Look at the Phillies photo posted by BBTV for pocket placement on pants in the "old" template.

• Like 2