MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

On 2/15/2024 at 11:13 PM, Cujo said:

What a fxxking rip..

This is what you get when you have essentially a private equity group creating apparel and not an apparel company that takes pride in its materials.  Quality is not a priority, only profit margin.  And printing numbers is less labor intensive and cheaper than sewing several tackle twill letters, numbers and patches onto a uniform.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

mizzoufb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 hour ago, ddub53 said:

This is what you get when you have essentially a private equity group creating apparel and not an apparel company that takes pride in its materials.  Quality is not a priority, only profit margin.  And printing numbers is less labor intensive and cheaper than sewing several tackle twill letters, numbers and patches onto a uniform.

With the swoosh on the front, Nike has the first and final say. 

I think it’s fair to say that the division at Nike who thought three-tiers of retail baseball jerseys would be popular had no idea how baseball fans would react.  The team at Nike who thought MLB jerseys were in dire need of a template change also had no idea what the reaction would be amongst fans or many of the players (bringing in five or six guys to test the template is clearly not a sizable sample). 

Thin, printed twill numbers and logos have been on Swingman jerseys for years…that’s Nike.  These techniques aren’t anything new. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:43 AM, OnWis97 said:

Question. Would you rather have:

1. Previous quality fabrics, stitching, etc. with ads
  2. This garbage material but with no ads?

I'd take #2.  The "Quickrete" patch is still the cheapest-looking part of Atlanta's uniform. And while that might be the worst add, I think they're all tasteless. 

I honestly couldn't disagree more. Yes, ads suck but they're (at least currently) a detail confined to just one part of the jersey and could technically go completely unnoticed from certain angles. With these new uniforms, the whole thing looks like cheap garbage. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ddub53 said:

This is what you get when you have essentially a private equity group creating apparel and not an apparel company that takes pride in its materials.  Quality is not a priority, only profit margin. 

Unfortunately, you could probably say that about the majority of businesses today. I also fully realize that by stating this, I sound like an old man yelling at a cloud. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

5 hours ago, Ark said:

This guy goes over some of the changes in detail

Good breakdown of the differences. I would argue that getting rid of the mesh inserts on the sides and the tail in the back was an upgrade, but otherwise, yeah, these new authentics are a debacle. Someone belongs in jail for what they did to that beautiful Blue Jays logo on the front.

• Like 3

https://uni-watch.com/2024/02/18/all-but-two-mlb-teams-scrapping-spring-training-jerseys-this-year/

Uni-Watch confirming what Chris hinted at on Twitter a few days ago: Every team but the Yankees and Tigers are scrapping their Spring Training-specific jerseys.

There’s an interesting implication to this in that several teams still wear ST jerseys that are never worn during the regular season, such as the Reds’ red jersey with Mr. Redlegs and the Dodgers’ blue jerseys, which seems to imply those jerseys may now be worn during regular season games.

Are there any others that I missed? 

On 2/17/2024 at 9:18 PM, CitizenTino said:

Good breakdown of the differences. I would argue that getting rid of the mesh inserts on the sides and the tail in the back was an upgrade, but otherwise, yeah, these new authentics are a debacle. Someone belongs in jail for what they did to that beautiful Blue Jays logo on the front.

mesh inserts on the sides and the tail in the back was to improve airflow, and the players have them tucked into the jersey,  pretty sure it helped them not overheating their behinds.

So this new jersey might look better in the back, but i am sure the previous one was better for the players.

The "Elite" jerseys are now for sale.

Blank: $355

Pre-customized: $395

Pick your own name and number: $430

At least they are listed as being made in the USA. I thought for sure they'd pull an NHL and start selling non-authentic Authentics.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

a thought randomly occurred to me over the weekend: you think the mets changed their black uniform because they (team or nike or both) knew that a tri-color with dropshadow name and number would look horrible in the smaller font size? may have just been to sell a new batch of jerseys, but it could explain the change.

sig2024.png

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The "Elite" jerseys are now for sale.

Blank: $355

Pre-customized: $395

Pick your own name and number: $430

At least they are listed as being made in the USA. I thought for sure they'd pull an NHL and start selling non-authentic Authentics.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm not sure why shabby unis weren't excpected. It's Nike's MO. Doesn't anybody remember the NBA rollout?

Nike's new NBA jerseys cannot stop falling apart.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/11/6/16612728/nike-nba-jerseys-ripping-tearing-lebron-james

Also, I'm tired of everyone parroting their line about "xx% lighter/engineered/etc". It's simple: every millimeter of fabric saved, every patch printed, every fabric swapped is multiplied by millions. It's not bad enough they pay slave wages, More for the bottom line. We complain for a few weeks and then just eat the slop.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

You guys talked about this BS yet? First of all, the headspoon piping looks like it's off a bootleg that got the proportions incorrect, but the biggest issue here is the piping on the sleeves is no longer piping, as in another layer of fabric sewn on top of the sleeve. Instead it's a cuff with a stripe that's supposed to approximate piping and it's thicker than the headspoon piping. Don't like it!

The Reds themselves have a history of striped cuffs, but that was a deliberate choice with their pullover unis from 72-92, but this is the work of the current template cutting corners. Are the other teams with sleeve/headspoon piping doing the same thing? 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Are the other teams with sleeve/headspoon piping doing the same thing? 

Yes, yes they are. The Braves and Padres both got forced into this switch, and I am certain there are plenty of other examples.

This is the RBK Edge "We can't put straight stripes on jersey sleeves anymore, it's detrimental to performance" lie all over again, except this time every team in the league bit on it.

• Like 7
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

10 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Yes, yes they are. The Braves and Padres both got forced into this switch, and I am certain there are plenty of other examples.

This is the RBK Edge "We can't put straight stripes on jersey sleeves anymore, it's detrimental to performance" lie all over again, except this time every team in the league bit on it.

Good point. That's what this reminds me of. Templated changes designed to reduce drag across teams in terms of manufacturing are framed as "Innovation". 

Same thing is how the Jets went from this 

https-3A-2F-2Fthejetpress-com-2Fwp-conte

to this

https-3A-2F-2Fthejetpress-com-2Fwp-conte

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is interesting. The backlash from the players over the new uniforms has gotten so loud that the union is now getting involved and demanding remedies. I doubt we are going to see wholesale changes, but I think things for MLB/Nike/Fanatics have gotten past the point of hoping this just blows over if they wait it out.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

This is interesting. The backlash from the players over the new uniforms has gotten so loud that the union is now getting involved and demanding remedies. I doubt we are going to see wholesale changes, but I think things for MLB/Nike/Fanatics have gotten past the point of hoping this just blows over if they wait it out.

This is very promising. Hopefully fans can hold out for a year from buying new jerseys and they revert to the previous templates or a better version in 2025. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png