MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Blue Jays City jersey has leaked:

I don’t hate it. I might prefer that they went with their regular font.

I think there's a neon "glow" effect on the swoosh. Even though it looks yellow, there's a reddish outline. If you look at the innermost part of the wordmark, it looks similar. 

That Blue Jays CC is a monstrosity. It avoids the airport code nonsense, but another example of a jersey excessively using black. 

Why are we seeing so many gradients all of a sudden? Is that Nike's next low-effort move?

• Like 2

Whether it be the NBA or MLB, the jerseys that breakaway from a team's traditional color pallet are not selling that well. I don't get why they keep doubling down on this concept.

9 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Blue Jays City jersey has leaked:

I don’t hate it. I might prefer that they went with their regular font.

I... will... wait until we see it in full action.  The Detroit City Connects dropped two tiers once they saw the field.  I want to wait and see on these.  While it has plenty of drawbacks, I'm intrigued by the skyline theme.  The yellow swoosh seems to be representative of a star or moon in the sky, which I find fun.  But I want to see it in a different environment than what gave us the dress before I fully commit to an opinion.

spacer.png

spacer.png

There has been NO middle ground with the City Connects this year.  They've either been surprisingly good (Cleveland, St. Louis without taking "The Lou" into consideration) or absolutely terrible (everyone else).  The past few years, there were several that were just kind of middling (San Francisco, Baltimore, ChiCubs) or had a foot in both good and bad worlds (Seattle, Houston solely because I really like that cap).  It's all or nothing this time around, mostly nothing.

That being said, assuming the Dodgers leak is legit, that's one that wouldn't be totally awful (although it's still far from great).  My hatred of all things Dodgers does tempt me to put it in the trash heap no matter what it looks like, though.

• Like 2

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

13 hours ago, M59 said:

Quick version...
1) I dislike "custom" NOB fonts. They're generally harder to read than good old MLB block.
2) I dislike most custom number fonts. They're generally not all that...and they don't slow down the bootleggers one single bit.
3) I dislike single color scripts and numbers. I find them boring...particularly on road uniforms.
4) See #3 above for one of the reasons I dislike the Yankee$ road uniforms. The second one is that, IMO even if you don't have NOB on your home kit, you should have it on any jersey your wear on the road.
As always, YMMV.

I used to feel the same about single-color scripts and numbers, that they were at best a risky proposition most of the time, beyond classics such as the Dodgers and Yankees. However, the Twins' rebrand truly changed my mind. It really helps both colors pop so well in my view, and sets them apart from all of the other red & navy teams, most of which use red letters with a navy outline. 

I've always loved custom fonts more than most. Of course, some fonts are better than others (just because the Bucs' alarm clock was custom, it wasn't anywhere near their regular block), but I generally like teams setting themselves apart as unique, and custom fonts are a great way to do that. 

12 hours ago, Kg54mvp said:

I like the Twins Rebrand,  and I love that it goes off the TC logo so well.  

This might be the most genius part of the rebrand. They took the most clearly iconic and stable part of their brand, the TC logo, and extended everything from that with the dual-color motif, while also including allusions to the 80's and 90's sets. 

I love every uniform in the set, but the home has to be my favorite. Especially paired with the tri-color batting helmet, it looks so clean and fresh, genuinely one of my favorite uniforms in the league.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, M59 said:

WTAF? I expect Cash Grab Connect jerseys to be poorly designed, but seriously? WTAF? A sewn-on sublimated "Toronto"?  An apparently sublimated Jays sleeve logo patch? Soutache braid when we were told that was out? The only thing that doesn't surprise me is that the most thread and effort expanded on this mess went into the two-color, embroidered mark of the beast. 
Let's face it: we all knew that Cash Grab Connect was the beginning of the end, but I really didn't think Nike would push us to sublimation THIS FAST. Jeebus. 

The jersey is almost certainly a replica, so everything is going to be sublimated or heat-pressed on, as all other replicas have been. I imagine that at least the "Toronto" will be stitched on the authentic jerseys.

8 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

No yellow anywhere else on the jersey but the Nike Swoosh of course.

lmao horrible.

7 hours ago, ptay said:

Is that really a yellow swoosh on the Toronto CC?

Or does the camera flash make red itching appear that way?

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think there's a neon "glow" effect on the swoosh. Even though it looks yellow, there's a reddish outline. If you look at the innermost part of the wordmark, it looks similar. 

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I... will... wait until we see it in full action.  The Detroit City Connects dropped two tiers once they saw the field.  I want to wait and see on these.  While it has plenty of drawbacks, I'm intrigued by the skyline theme.  The yellow swoosh seems to be representative of a star or moon in the sky, which I find fun.  But I want to see it in a different environment than what gave us the dress before I fully commit to an opinion.

I'm almost certain the swoosh is red, it looks to just be a weird lighting thing to me. 

1 hour ago, Klondyke said:

Whether it be the NBA or MLB, the jerseys that breakaway from a team's traditional color pallet are not selling that well. I don't get why they keep doubling down on this concept.

This is the team's exact primary color palette, though... royal blue, navy, & red. They're just distributed differently than in the main set.

38 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

They've either been surprisingly good (Cleveland, St. Louis without taking "The Lou" into consideration) or absolutely terrible (everyone else). 

What makes that "good" then, if you don't mind me asking? I personally don't like that particular CC at all, but "The Lou" is kind of the only added design element there aside from the stripes. So if you take that out of the equation, why not just opt out of the CC program altogether and wear their normal uniforms?

My conspiracy theory: Nike went to the Blue Jays with a design that was heavily Team Canada, and the Jays said, well, your program is City Connect, and we do actually play in a city, so maybe let's do that? But by then the designer had gone to lunch, so they had an intern slap something together with only "They play in a city" to guide him. 

My only evidence is that this sounds like something that would happen at Nike, and also the yellow swoosh with a red outline gave me Mountie-inspired vibes. 

9 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

No yellow anywhere else on the jersey but the Nike Swoosh of course.

lmao horrible.

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The yellow swoosh seems to be representative of a star or moon in the sky, which I find fun.

I don't see yellow at all.

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

What makes that "good" then, if you don't mind me asking? I personally don't like that particular CC at all, but "The Lou" is kind of the only added design element there aside from the stripes. So if you take that out of the equation, why not just opt out of the CC program altogether and wear their normal uniforms?

Opting out and (re)introducing a red alternate jersey without the pinstripes would have been a great idea. The Cardinals made the best of a bad situation, IMO.

My best guess at how this passed design review is that Nike's just trying to beat the knockoff super-cheapo jersey sellers at their own game. I can imagine this bad boy selling for 3 for $25 alongside a similarly fever-dream attempt at a Raptors jersey and a comically wrong faux-Argentina Messi jersey.

• LOL 1

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

My best guess at how this passed design review is that Nike's just trying to beat the knockoff super-cheapo jersey sellers at their own game. I can imagine this bad boy selling for 3 for $25 alongside a similarly fever-dream attempt at a Raptors jersey and a comically wrong faux-Argentina Messi jersey.

I think the simpler explanation is that Rogers has no taste.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

39 minutes ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

Twins don't need a CC when they have these beauts. Whatever Nike has cooked up, just scrap it and wear this instead of the monstrosity that awaits usspacer.png

Agreed. The “City Stories” should be simple. This is a good enough narrative. 

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

20 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I think NOBs need to be made mandatory just to spite the teams that think they're special.

And let those teams return the spite by going full Leafs and having the NOB the same color as the jersey.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

VmWIn6B.png

9 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

My conspiracy theory: Nike went to the Blue Jays with a design that was heavily Team Canada, and the Jays said, well, your program is City Connect, and we do actually play in a city, so maybe let's do that? But by then the designer had gone to lunch, so they had an intern slap something together with only "They play in a city" to guide him. 

My only evidence is that this sounds like something that would happen at Nike, and also the yellow swoosh with a red outline gave me Mountie-inspired vibes. 

The way I see it, they had three different directions they could have gone in that would have potentially worked:

1. Go full country connect, lean into the Canada's team thing with more red, maple leaves, etc. This wouldn't have been the most original approach, but it would have accomplished the goal of having something that would sell well across the country.
  2. Pull a Seattle/Milwaukee/Atlanta and go with elements of a throwback design combined with some modern touches. Maybe mix some powder blue in with the black/grey/silver from the '00s. We're at the point where there's a bit of nostalgia for those uniforms, so it could have worked.
  3. Reference something specific/unique about the city, like the Boston Marathon, Tampa Bay skate culture, or DC cherry blossoms. I've mentioned the Honest Ed's sign, or maybe some popular areas of the city like the Distillery District or Kensington Market. Obviously this wouldn't be very popular outside of the GTA, but it would fit the purposes of the City Connect program.

Instead they went with none of the above, and came up with something that looks like it was created by AI based on a prompt given by someone who's never been to Toronto before.

13 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Plot twist,  that's an incoming  Russian ICBM.

Nike designers now with the Nostradamus touch

😓

• WOAH 2