MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

Whats the “usual responses?”

When I last made this point, I was met with a batch  of thumbs down, eyeroll and facepalm emojis. For some reason, I can't leave them for others...but I do receive them.

2 hours ago, M59 said:

When I last made this point, I was met with a batch  of thumbs down, eyeroll and facepalm emojis. For some reason, I can't leave them for others...but I do receive them.

For you and others who might be wondering: 

At the bottom of each post, there's a horizontal line, with a plus sign and "Quote" underneath. Hover over the right side under that line and a thumbs-up emoji should show up, along with other reactions. (There's something off in the site CSS that makes the emoji not show up by default, but I and the other admins can't find where that's buried on the back end.) Click on the one you'd like to use to react to a post.

87Acmn1.png

• Like 8

If Tampa Bay taught us anything, it's that we can't even try to glean anything from these previews of future City Connects.

Watch the Twins go with a representation of their home field.  Full Kasota Gold!!! 🥴

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 5/8/2024 at 8:51 PM, BBTV said:

6.  If that V-ish neck is how Nike is going to do things, I'd rather teams go to a henley style.  I don't personally "get" the henley, as I don't know anyone that buttons any of the buttons (so they're effectively just v-necks anyway), but it'd work very well for a baseball uniform.  You avoid the awkward placket breaks, while maintaining the traditional collar trim and overall "look".

Occasionally minor-league teams will use henley-style jerseys, and they always looked sort of cheap and softball-ish to me.

IMG_7885.jpg

It was also kind of a thing in the majors in the early 80s. Can't say it does anything for me.

Mickey Rivers #617 Fleer 1981 Baseball Card (Texas Rangers) VG

NY Mets fans stopped showing up in the 1979 season

• Like 1

On 5/9/2024 at 12:15 PM, aawagner011 said:

From the mothership:

spacer.png

Of these, I would say only half look somewhat or even vaguely like the club they are supposed to represent. And I think that’s the problem with the City Connect program. While it allows teams to explore alternate identities, too many of them stray too far from the norm and have zero relation to the team. I think a better approach would be to run a heritage program, as we have seen a bit in the NHL. It allows teams to offer variety without going too far outside their normal color palette. Heck, you could even tie it into the Cooperstown angle, as we have seen Majestic and Nike do the last decade or so with the merchandise they’ve offered.

The White Sox, Astros, Marlins, Nationals, Rockies (with white pants, and Rays were the best of the City Connect program IMO. 

The Mets, Angels, DBacks, Royals were good, not great. 

The rest all suck. 

NYCdog.png

43 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

The White Sox, Astros, Marlins, Nationals, Rockies (with white pants, and Rays were the best of the City Connect program IMO. 

The Mets, Angels, DBacks, Royals were good, not great. 

The rest all suck. 

I think you're being generous. I feel like this whole thing has been a pretty big failure. A years long version of that week of late season NCAA basketball when Nike outfits a handful of teams in unis that generally suck and certainly unnecessary. Some new wrinkles on teams identities (even with the nicknames/alt identities) would've been exciting, but recognizable. Sure a team here and there would probably do something pretty out there, but would get roasted and that'd be that. I think a good measure of success would be seeing a few of these getting the "they should make those the primary!" debate going. I can't think of one coming close.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, Krona said:

I think you're being generous. I feel like this whole thing has been a pretty big failure. A years long version of that week of late season NCAA basketball when Nike outfits a handful of teams in unis that generally suck and certainly unnecessary. Some new wrinkles on teams identities (even with the nicknames/alt identities) would've been exciting, but recognizable. Sure a team here and there would probably do something pretty out there, but would get roasted and that'd be that. I think a good measure of success would be seeing a few of these getting the "they should make those the primary!" debate going. I can't think of one coming close.

A whole lot of people in this very thread have said exactly that about Tampa Bay's CCs...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Mets might as well go ahead and re-retire the black jerseys. I wonder if the specific nature of the numerals with the white and orange trim just couldn't be done with this new "technology" or whatever, because I can't for the life of me see why else they would take action to remove it. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

Occasionally minor-league teams will use henley-style jerseys, and they always looked sort of cheap and softball-ish to me.

IMG_7885.jpg

It was also kind of a thing in the majors in the early 80s. Can't say it does anything for me.

Mickey Rivers #617 Fleer 1981 Baseball Card (Texas Rangers) VG

NY Mets fans stopped showing up in the 1979 season

The Salt Dogs one is closer to what I'm thinking, as the placket is curved on top like a regular jersey, vs the squared-off placket of the Mets and rangers.

The only problem I see is with teams that use headspoon piping,  They'd either have to fake it, or abandon it like the Red Sox did when they went with pullovers in the '70s.  I think faking it might actually be OK if they used the style with the naturally-curved placket and simply extended the piping down past the two buttons... but I'm sure Nike / Fanatics would claim that there's production issues with trying to apply piping to where there's no existing stitching.

But with all this terrible placket breaking, and players using velcro to mimic a pullover anyway, it's time to seriously consider changes, and if Nike can't deign to make a traditional collar, then henley is the only option.  

Also, henley would work for pinstriped jerseys, which shouldn't have any trim running perpendicular to the stripes, but have to with a standard v-neck and cuffs.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Mets might as well go ahead and re-retire the black jerseys. I wonder if the specific nature of the numerals with the white and orange trim just couldn't be done with this new "technology" or whatever, because I can't for the life of me see why else they would take action to remove it. 

Probably to make their set more cohesive. While I agree the old black jerseys looked better, they featured design aspects from a bygone era with the drop shadow. Nothing else in their set features that anymore, so it makes sense to drop it. I’m having no issues making out the script or numbers, but the names are a bit tougher since those are two colors at a small scale.

• Like 1

I never got around to giving my thoughts about the Tigers City Connect, but since they debuted tonight, I suppose there's no better time than the present:

I honestly don't mind them. As others have said, I'm not sure I'd want to look like I got ran over, but I like the Mustang-inspired stripe becoming Detroit's "thing." The cap leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't hate wordmarks on the caps as much as others seem to. It obviously has nothing on their regular Old English "D," though.

I like the all-navy for them, and incorporating royal blue is a surprisingly nice touch, but I still think just the slightest  bit of orange (as I concepted) would've really done wonders.

Overall,  I'd say it's probably right around the middle of the pack when it comes to the City Connect designs. It definitely didn't make nearly the same splash that Tampa's did, but I find it to be relatively harmless. It doesn't look half bad in action, either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Twins City Connects coming June 10th:

8 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

If Tampa Bay taught us anything, it's that we can't even try to glean anything from these previews of future City Connects.

Watch the Twins go with a representation of their home field.  Full Kasota Gold!!! 🥴

I didn't read anything into Tampa's teasers, but these hints feel at least a bit  more deliberate and intentional. The waterfall-type sound, along with the "drip" word choice, make me think they'll go with some kind of water-inspired theme, either the Land of 10,000 Lakes or the Mississippi River. After all, the Mississippi does "connect" the Twin Cities...

This fits well with my prediction that their uniform will end up mostly baby blue, to make up for the loss of the throwback with the rebrand.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2024 at 1:15 PM, aawagner011 said:

Of these, I would say only half look somewhat or even vaguely like the club they are supposed to represent. And I think that’s the problem with the City Connect program. While it allows teams to explore alternate identities, too many of them stray too far from the norm and have zero relation to the team. I think a better approach would be to run a heritage program, as we have seen a bit in the NHL. It allows teams to offer variety without going too far outside their normal color palette. Heck, you could even tie it into the Cooperstown angle, as we have seen Majestic and Nike do the last decade or so with the merchandise they’ve offered.

😉

Well...  Two past opinions I had have changed drastically.

While I believe the full retro replica is the right way to go and don't care about the difference in drop shadow as I believe every single one of us on this board is in full agreement that black is okay quarantined as a throwback rather than a modern piece of the identity... I'm shocked seeing it in action that the shininess of the blue fabric actually causes the blue and black to contrast quite well under the lights at night.  I thought it would all blend together like the Marlins of the last few years or the original Braves' navy alt.  I can't believe it, but it seems to actually work.

Atlanta Braves v New York Mets

Meanwhile... I'd stated that the Tigers' City Connect objectively looked pretty cool, but actually seeing it in the flesh and on the field...  We throw around the term "softball" a lot around these parts, but I did not realize just how distracting the fact that the jersey pattern just stops at the belt would be.  Given that the pants just look like a pair of slacks with how simple they are, it does look like someone screen printed a shirsey for nine guys and they're wearing them with their work pants.  Not to mention that it really looked like the jersey design would be shiny, almost glowing, but I'm getting none of that.  Perhaps it will look better under lights instead of during the day.

Houston Astros v Detroit Tigers

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few City Connect rumors for this afternoon...

Could be total BS, and the use of black instead of the Cardinals' navy seems weird, but based on how most of this season's designs have turned out, it wouldn't be totally surprising. Also, this graphic promoting the Cards' City Connect launch on May 20th seems to confirm the use of black:

Additionally, Max Muncy was on the Foul Territory podcast a few days ago and implied the Dodgers' new set will include metallic gold. Discussion starts around 15:00 in:

Side note: Lots of people on Twitter expect Cleveland to reveal their set this Monday the 13th, despite no indications of such from the team's socials. This would fit with what the past few teams have done (Monday unveiling with an on-field debut the following Friday). The Guardians set's on-field debut is next Friday the 17th, so unless they plan to also wear them for the first time the same day they're unveiled, I would expect an official reveal at least a few days' prior, so Monday sounds about right. 

• Like 2
  • Hate 1
  • Facepalm 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I can't believe it, but it seems to actually work.

Atlanta Braves v New York Mets

Yet another reason to hate the new, "standardized" front numbers forced on the Mets, Orioles and other teams still using MLB block. I wonder how much faster the players are now that their front numbers are actually larger than last year? 
Also, I'm sure it's just a lighting trick, but those colors don't read to me as orange and blue...and the numbers look lighter than the script. (In the video, the orange trim looks...purple to me.)

Edited by M59
this and that

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

A few City Connect rumors for this afternoon...

Could be total BS, and the use of black instead of the Cardinals' navy seems weird, but based on how most of this season's designs have turned out, it wouldn't be totally surprising. Also, this graphic promoting the Cards' City Connect launch on May 20th seems to confirm the use of black:

Additionally, Max Muncy was on the Foul Territory podcast a few days ago and implied the Dodgers' new set will include metallic gold. Discussion starts around 15:00 in:

Side note: Lots of people on Twitter expect Cleveland to reveal their set this Monday the 13th, despite no indications of such from the team's socials. This would fit with what the past few teams have done (Monday unveiling with an on-field debut the following Friday). The Guardians set's on-field debut is next Friday the 17th, so unless they plan to also wear them for the first time the same day they're unveiled, I would expect an official reveal at least a few days' prior, so Monday sounds about right. 

If the Dodgers add metallic gold and end up having something like the 2017 All Star hat, it'll be pretty cool. The gold seemingly ties in to the Oscars/Hollywood pretty easily. 

Dodgers will wear these caps and jerseys for MLB special event days in 2017  - True Blue LA

• Like 8

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.