2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

Didn’t he leave saying he’d never come back after the nfl playoffs or was it MLB? Either way he said something along the lines of “you don’t have to give me any more warnings I’ve used my three strikes I’m out” to avoid a ban.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Didn’t he leave saying he’d never come back after the nfl playoffs or was it MLB? Either way he said something along the lines of “you don’t have to give me any more warnings I’ve used my three strikes I’m out” to avoid a ban.

I think it was right before the World Series when he was upset that two lower seeds made it to the World Series and therefore didn't deserve to be there.  

I get wanting to win a championship in front of your fans because of the experience, but Florida never should've taken their foot off the gas. The momentum seems to have shifted drastically.

59 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

I get wanting to win a championship in front of your fans because of the experience, but Florida never should've taken their foot off the gas. The momentum seems to have shifted drastically.

Both the Texas Rangers in the 2023 World Series and Boston Celtics in the 2024 NBA Finals are like "nope, we'll finish this for good in 5 games" while Florida is like "so when do we finish this?"

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Florida almost had it back when they made it 4-3. Really felt like Edmonton was just trying to hang on rather than to win. But Florida just couldn't get that last goal that seemed imminent. 

McDavid looks like he said "enough of this sh**. I'll win it myself."

I think I'd rather be the Oilers right now. You have the best player in the world, you probably have the second best in the world too, and it looks like Bobrovsky is shaken and I know from experience that he doesn't usually get better as playoff series go longer. You just forced the Panthers to fly to Edmonton again, which is the farthest place away in the world, and the whole way there they get to contemplate the thought of being the team who blew a 3-0 lead in the final. Win a home game and then it's a 50/50 shot in game 7. Only real concern is goaltending and Darnell Nurse being a useless pylon, but I feel like they're actually going to pull this off. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

You just forced the Panthers to fly to Edmonton again, which is the farthest place away in the world, and the whole way there t

Hmmm... is that the longest distance between two teams in the same sport?  I can't think of one that would be longer, other than maybe Vancouver.

Even in the GDNHL, I assume teams fly charters (except the Coyotes, who likely rode with the checked bags), so they probably have a non-stop flight, which isn't available on commercial airlines from most American cities.  That's got to be a longer flight than even from the east coast to Europe, which is <7hrs.  Wasn't able to find the flight time since there's no non-stops, but I'm guessing somewhere like 8hrs?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

56 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Hmmm... is that the longest distance between two teams in the same sport?  I can't think of one that would be longer, other than maybe Vancouver.

Even in the GDNHL, I assume teams fly charters (except the Coyotes, who likely rode with the checked bags), so they probably have a non-stop flight, which isn't available on commercial airlines from most American cities.  That's got to be a longer flight than even from the east coast to Europe, which is <7hrs.  Wasn't able to find the flight time since there's no non-stops, but I'm guessing somewhere like 8hrs?

Yeah they said on the broadcast before game 1 that this is the farthest distance in the finals ever and farthest possible between two teams currently in the league. According to google it's close to an 8 hour flight. NHL staff and media who have to cover each game are probably not too thrilled that the Panthers can't close right now. 

I went to Edmonton for work in 2019 and the flight from Toronto was almost 5 hours. Really drove home just how remote Edmonton, Alberta is. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

My two cents is I don't know if it's necessarily Florida "taking their foot off the gas" as opposed to Edmonton finally getting some bounces. Game 1 probably should have gone the other way just an unreal performance from Bobrovsky, and you could argue Game 3 could have gone the other way too. Also felt like the Oilers Power Play was snakebit the first 3 games and that unit is too good to be blanked forever. Now that Edmonton is finally getting rewarded with positive puck luck it's probably the series that it should be now. Should be an interesting finish to the final now though. 

2 hours ago, Sport said:

Yeah they said on the broadcast before game 1 that this is the farthest distance in the finals ever and farthest possible between two teams currently in the league. According to google it's close to an 8 hour flight. NHL staff and media who have to cover each game are probably not too thrilled that the Panthers can't close right now. 

I went to Edmonton for work in 2019 and the flight from Toronto was almost 5 hours. Really drove home just how remote Edmonton, Alberta is. 

Thinking more about this, I think we learned during pandemic that staff and media don’t necessarily need to be there live, though I get that it adds to the “big game feel”. 

I wonder if the network could have people based in Edm and someone based in Fla, and then the pbp could also rotate, or just be done via monitor like during covid. 

As far as writers, I’m not sure if the panthers even have beat writers (they probably do?) but I don’t think a lot even travel much anymore, at least to opposite coast trips. I think even the Flyers cut their budget for that. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Thinking more about this, I think we learned during pandemic that staff and media don’t necessarily need to be there live, though I get that it adds to the “big game feel”. 

I wonder if the network could have people based in Edm and someone based in Fla, and then the pbp could also rotate, or just be done via monitor like during covid. 

As far as writers, I’m not sure if the panthers even have beat writers (they probably do?) but I don’t think a lot even travel much anymore, at least to opposite coast trips. I think even the Flyers cut their budget for that. 

Nah - ESPN did remote announcers during the early rounds of these playoffs. The announcers weren't aware of a change in goalie one game between the 2nd and 3rd periods because they couldn't see it.

It's where I sit.

Sometimes we do things that seem antiquated and stupid for what turn out to be good reasons. Always worth remembering when people do AI hype for free.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

There are way worse gigs than flying 2900 miles to cover the Stanley Cup Final. Chartered flight or commercial. We've become  addicted to convenience.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg