2023-2024 College Basketball

MJWalker45

On 3/3/2024 at 1:02 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Caitlin Clark got the all time scoring record!

Seriously, anyone comparing this to Pistol Pete Maravich's record and saying "it's the ALL TIME scoring record" is fooling themselves:

1. When Maravich played college ball, freshmen were NOT ALLOWED  to  play varsity basketball,  just freshman basketball matches.  His 741 points  from that freshman year are not included in his total,  thus Clark had one more season than Maravich had... 25% more games (+/-).

2. There was no three point shot in college basketball in Maravich's day.  Former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game and 12 three-pointers per game.

3.  Not as big, but the shot clock  had also not yet been instituted in NCAA play during Maravich's college career. (A time limit on ball possession speeds up play, mandates an additional number of field goal attempts, eliminates stalling, and increases the number of possessions throughout the game, all resulting in higher overall scoring.

• Like 2

It is what it is.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:40 PM, B-Rich said:

Seriously, anyone comparing this to Pistol Pete Maravich's record and saying "it's the ALL TIME scoring record" is fooling themselves:

She scored more points than Maravich. The record is hers. If the three point line existed, it may still be his, but what counts was the rules used at the time the records are made or broken. Do we take away Emmitt Smith's rushing record because he had more space to run through because Dallas had Michael Irvin and others to allow him that much space top move? Do we give it to Barry Sanders because he probably ran backwards just as many yards as he ran forwards on some plays? There are other women that didn't get their stats acknowledged by the NCAA because they were separate from the NCAA until 1982. Penny Moore is far ahead of even Pete Maravich, but she is not acknowledged by the NCAA. 

• Like 5
  • Eyeroll 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There are a thousand reasons why I despise the NIT's selection change for this season.

But right now, the biggest three are Eastern Kentucky, High Point and Central Connecticut.

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39703311/south-carolina-lsu-fight-sec-women-ncaa-tournament-kamilla-cardoso

South Carolina and LSU women attempted to reenact the Malice at the Palace. LSU players trying to intimidate the Gamecocks all game, and it finally blows up with a couple players getting knocked down and a brother of the instigator jumping on the court and wrapping up a Gamecocks player. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39703311/south-carolina-lsu-fight-sec-women-ncaa-tournament-kamilla-cardoso

South Carolina and LSU women attempted to reenact the Malice at the Palace. LSU players trying to intimidate the Gamecocks all game, and it finally blows up with a couple players getting knocked down and a brother of the instigator jumping on the court and wrapping up a Gamecocks player. 

Kim Mulkey is the biggest psycho of them all. 

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, BottomlessPitt said:

Kim Mulkey is the biggest psycho of them all. 

Yeah, the amount of weirdness at LSU this year with players sitting out and leaving the team tells me there is a lot of strange goings on in the background there. 

• Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/11/2024 at 9:19 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Yeah, the amount of weirdness at LSU this year with players sitting out and leaving the team tells me there is a lot of strange goings on in the background there. 

As an LSU fan, Kim Mulkey is everything that is wrong with college sports. She sucks.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

jNTsTyQ.png

4 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

what a goddamn game, dude.

image.png?ex=66037cde&is=65f107de&hm=561

Was hoping for Stony Brook to make its second tourney appearance ever, but what a performance it was even if it was a shot short.  That Tyler Stephenson-Moore kid is a pure stud.

Hopefully Charleston can pull some upset juice in the tourney.  This year's squad is worse than last year's who couldn't get it done, but that team ran into the eventual runner-ups round one and gave them hell so I'm not counting them out.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 3/9/2024 at 7:46 PM, Burmy said:

There are a thousand reasons why I despise the NIT's selection change for this season.

But right now, the biggest three are Eastern Kentucky, High Point and Central Connecticut.

Add Quinnipiac to that list

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

22 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Add Quinnipiac to that list

In fact, here's the list of teams that would have gotten an automatic bid to the NIT this season had the NCAA not changed the rules...

-South Florida (American)

-Eastern Kentucky (ASUN)

-Richmond (Atlantic 10)

-Eastern Washington (Big Sky)

-High Point (Big South)

-UC Irvine (Big West)

-Sam Houston State (Conference USA)

-Princeton (Ivy League)

-Quinnipiac (MAAC)

-Norfolk State (MEAC)

-Toledo (Mid-American)

-Indiana State (Missouri Valley)

-Central Connecticut State (Northeast)

-Little Rock (Ohio Valley)

-Appalachian State (Sun Belt)

Nearly half the field could have been automatic bids this season... and there's the chance for more teams to enter this list by the time of the Selection Show on Sunday.

Edited by Seadragon76
Updated for the addition of South Florida and Princeton to this list

I am sensing a trend of Wisconsin teams upsetting national Top 3 teams in their conference tournament today.

Your turn, Marquette.

bYhYmxh.png

UConn playing in MSG just feels right. Their spell in the AAC was unfortunate and I’m happy it’s been corrected. Maybe Syracuse can return when the SEC and Big Ten decide to blow everything up. 

IUe6Hvh.png