2023-2024 College Basketball

MJWalker45

Yeah, I thought 1990 UNLV and 2009 North Carolina were great. This team may very well be the greatest ever, or are definitely at least in that discussion.

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Yeah, I thought 1990 UNLV and 2009 North Carolina were great. This team may very well be the greatest ever, or are definitely at least in that discussion.

I'd put this UConn team on par with '98 Kentucky -- Definitely in the conversation for best team this century.

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, See Red said:

Can’t believe this team, man. An unreal run these last two years!  A coaching masterclass by Hurley!

Oh please

Never having to play from behind or overcome any adversity = "coaching masterclass"

• Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I'd put this UConn team on par with '98 Kentucky -- Definitely in the conversation for best team this century.

Greatest team.... of what? A watered down era of CBB?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unocal said:

Oh please

Never having to play from behind or overcome any adversity = "coaching masterclass"

The way they completely neutered Purdue’s offense and abused Edey on the other end was a coaching masterclass. Edey got off to a great start but from about 6 minutes left in the first until Clingan up his 4th foul and Johnson fouled out, he was pretty ineffective and frustrated.  And by that point the game was well out of reach and UConn only cared about preventing threes.

Also, the premise of your post is dumb. Seems to me it would be better never having to play from behind. There’s more to coaching than rah rah halftime speeches and even then, the number of times UConn would go into the half in a close-ish game and then put on the afterburners was impressive all the same.

And the adversity was losing the best three players off of their dominant championship team and proceeding to turn the backups into an even more dominant team. 

• Like 5

IUe6Hvh.png

18 minutes ago, See Red said:

The way they completely neutered Purdue’s offense and abused Edey on the other end was a coaching masterclass. Edey got off to a great start but from about 6 minutes left in the first until Clingan up his 4th foul and Johnson fouled out, he was pretty ineffective and frustrated.  And by that point the game was well out of reach and UConn only cared about preventing threes.

Also, the premise of your post is dumb. Seems to me it would be better never having to play from behind. There’s more to coaching than rah rah halftime speeches and even then, the number of times UConn would go into the half in a close-ish game and then put on the afterburners was impressive all the same.

And the adversity was losing the best three players off of their dominant championship team and proceeding to turn the backups into an even more dominant team. 

But I thought coaching was just....halftime adjustments? (or other trite phrases I can yell at the TV to let everyone know I know sports)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unocal said:

Oh please

Uhh... isn't that the goal of any coach? Especially in a high-stress single-elimination tournament like March Madness.

Hurley's constant whining, jawing, and walking onto the court is irritating, but he's objectively one hell of a coach when it comes to pure Xs and Os. It shows from how diligently they move the ball on offemse. The way they calmly break the press every time like it's nothing, making the rest of the sport look like a joke for not being able to handle it nearly as well. He had the perfect defensive strategy for Purdue too.

Then on the other side, you have Purdue's god-awful style of just spamming the ball to Edey so he can flop and get bailout calls from the refs, while getting away with blatant three seconds violations and offensive fouls all game. No adjustments when they have to play from behind, no plan B when a team has someone like Clingan who can guard Edey one-on-one, because Painter thinks it's 1973 and he doesn't need guards as long as he has a really tall guy on his team. At least we didn't have to watch that eyesore of a team win. It's already a bad look for the sport that their style is as successful as it is.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

7 hours ago, Unocal said:

UConn was irrelevant until 1990................ and now they've won 6 freaking titles.

How have they avoided the Duke/Kentucky levels of hate? They are just as annoying.

dude I'm a syracuse fan so logic should dictate I hate uconn but I would take a big east dynasty over an SEC/ACC one every single time without hesitation

• Like 2

53Ocz8U.png

11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, guess who didn’t listen to his moderator warning and came back to waste his last strike!

Nothing riles him up like UConn  apparently. Pretty sure neither of these championships count to him because they aren’t winning close games. 

IUe6Hvh.png

36 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Well, guess who didn’t listen to his moderator warning and came back to waste his last strike!

My advice to everyone, especially myself, is to ignore him. If he's smart, he'll get tired of screaming at the ocean and move on. If he's not smart, the situation will take care of itself.

• Applause 1

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just happy I finally picked the correct champ in my bracket! Granted, it was about as obvious as Oppenheimer winning best picture, but it was still fun.

I managed to get it right with Purdue making the title game.  I also had UConn losing to Baylor because I'm an idiot.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg