2023-2024 College Basketball

MJWalker45

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Turns out the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament means less for the SEC

Leave it to Nebraska to change that 

God what an embarrassing performance. At least five of our six best players graduate so we’ll have to start all over just to hope to get back to a place where Hoiberg gets mercilessly outcoached. 

Now I’m grumpy lmao. The tournament is more fun when your team’s not in it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 3/21/2024 at 7:39 PM, See Red said:

Down goes Kentucky!  I wonder if Coach Cal gets fired. 

That will be $33,355,000 to do a buyout if they want to get rid of him. But hey, I’m sure the boosters are more than capable of solving their “can’t adapt to the NIL and experienced mid-majors” problem with a flash of the checkbook.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That will be $33,355,000 to do a buyout if they want to get rid of him. But hey, I’m sure the boosters are more than capable of solving their “can’t adapt to the NIL and experienced mid-majors” problem with a flash of the checkbook.

Yeah, I can see where NIL is a problem because this is the first time Calipari or Kentucky has had to deal with paying players. Before NIL there wasn't a cleaner coach or program in all of college basketball. (I somehow managed to keep a relatively straight face while typing that.)

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, TrueYankee26 said:

Zags are laying the smackdown on Kansas now lol

Easy to forget Kansas was the preseason #1 with the way they’re playing. This is about as thorough of a dismantling as you’ll see. 

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

Just now, See Red said:

Easy to forget Kansas was the preseason #1 with the way they’re playing. This is about as thorough of a dismantling as you’ll see. 

And now UConn looks like that dominant #1 team

Kansas needed the refs to get past 1 set of Bulldogs already, now the Gonzaga Bulldogs are putting the Jayhawks to the doghouse

• Like 1

There is talk around Calipari, but what about Izzo? What has Michigan State done in the past several years? They haven't been an elite program for quite a while and just seem to be an easy chalk for early-to-mid tournament exits. Their last title was 2000.

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

There is talk around Calipari, but what about Izzo? What has Michigan State done in the past several years? They haven't been an elite program for quite a while and just seem to be an easy chalk for early-to-mid tournament exits. Their last title was 2000.

Death, Taxes, MSU-UNC matchups in the big dance ending in Tar Heel wins

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Calipari is crazy safe. He's probably the best recruiter in the nation. Who would UK even replace him with? Nobody. Right.

And Izzo still makes the tournament and a Big Ten contender every-single-year. He has a job for life -- teflon in in East Lansing.

6uXNWAo.png

Caitlin Clark's run in the Women's Tournament isn't going to end well, but she's on her way out anyways and headed to the Indiana Fever of the WNBA.  

On the Men's Side, I have been watching Purdue closely and Zach Edey is super interesting to me because I want to see how he turns out in the NBA.  

47 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Caitlin Clark's run in the Women's Tournament isn't going to end well, but she's on her way out anyways and headed to the Indiana Fever of the WNBA.  

On the Men's Side, I have been watching Purdue closely and Zach Edey is super interesting to me because I want to see how he turns out in the NBA.  

Not sure he will turn out in the NBA. He’s slow, not particularly athletic (relative to the NBA), and his entire game is within, like, five feet of the basket. He’ll get abused in the pick and roll. There’s not much place for someone like him in the modern NBA. 

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Zach Edey is super interesting to me because I want to see how he turns out in the NBA.  

Spoiler

At best.

np_file_119258.jpeg

6uXNWAo.png

11 hours ago, See Red said:

Not sure he will turn out in the NBA. He’s slow, not particularly athletic (relative to the NBA), and his entire game is within, like, five feet of the basket. He’ll get abused in the pick and roll. There’s not much place for someone like him in the modern NBA. 

That is what I thought.  NBA Centers these days are quite athletic and even have a 3 point game.   

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

That is what I thought.  NBA Centers these days are quite athletic and even have a 3 point game.   

I think if he went to somewhere similar to Golden State, he can fill that Draymond Green/Dennis Rodman role on the boards. But if he's anywhere else, he's just a less mobile LaMarcus Aldridge. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/23/2024 at 10:59 PM, Dynasty said:

They went to the Sweet 16 last year and the Final Four in both 2019 and 2015. They were also a top ten team in 2020 when the tournament was cancelled.

Something separate:

I hate when people use the tournament to gauge how good conferences are as whole. The SEC is not a weaker conference than the ACC because of how tournament results play out. Literally anything can happen in the tournament. Dan Hurley saying the Big East deserved more teams because the Big East is 6-0 is so dumb. They'd have a worse record if they let the worse teams in.

It's a dumb as using the bowl season to say whatever conference is better than the rest.

On 3/24/2024 at 2:16 AM, Cujo said:

Calipari is crazy safe. He's probably the best recruiter in the nation. Who would UK even replace him with? Nobody. Right.

All that recruiting and he still hasn’t made it out of the first weekend in four years.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

1 minute ago, See Red said:

All that recruiting and he still hasn’t made it out of the first weekend in four years.

Four whole years... 

But you're right. They should totally fire Cal and hire another Billy Gillespie!

6uXNWAo.png