2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

15 minutes ago, Klondyke said:

I have a feeling that the aesthetic of sports is going to constantly be stuck in a loop to whatever the current generation  finds nostalogic. 

You're probably correct.

I dig the goat head as a alternate. But, man it feels like Buffalo finally just fixed decades of issues with their current home/away set. I love their primaries and it would be a shame for those to be gone for the goat head full time. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

No. Please no. You just fixed your uniforms a few years ago. Just stick with royal blue. The goat head is an excellent alternate, but it should never overtake the royal blue classics.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I don't like that idea at all. It feels like that time the Oilers finally went back to their classic colors only to switch to orange and navy because it sold well only for that 1 season only for everyone to realize "ehh, they're kinda lame", then go back (again) to the classic colors. 

Bottom line, the Sabres should just stick with what they have. It's the only good thing they've done in the past 15 years. 

• Like 7

XM4KeeA.png

There are many things to like about the current royal blue jerseys and the so-called goat-head threads.  But I think what they have now is a perfect balance.  If they go back to Red and Black full time it'll just result in another team with an identity crisis.  

That being said, I'm not surprised this sentiment exists.  The updated logo and modern materials make their current alternate look sharp and sleek.  And the most success they've ever had as a franchise was in black, red and silver.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Klondyke said:

I have a feeling that the aesthetic of sports is going to constantly be stuck in a loop to whatever the current generation  finds nostalogic. 

That means in 10 years, it'll be the return of the.................Buffaslug!!!!!  🤪

Honestly the only reason Sabres fans and players are starting to feel a certain way towards the Goatheads is because the Sabres consistently win more with them on. Let's be real though... a jersey is not fixing that organization...

Hoping one day my season tickets will be worth it lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

That means in 10 years, it'll be the return of the.................Buffaslug!!!!!  🤪

a man in a suit and tie stands in front of a bulletin board with a certificate on it

But watch them make a Buffaslug with black and red if Fanatics releases another round of Reverse retro

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

17 hours ago, tBBP said:

The Sabres goat and the Canucks skate are both evidence of the nostalgia brain rot that plagues pro sports these days. Neither jersey/logo was all that beloved when they got rid of them, aside from being associated with a couple of Cup runs. Now social media loves calling them "classic" or "iconic" without any hint of irony.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Yawn 1

16 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

But, man it feels like Buffalo finally just fixed decades of issues with their current home/away set.

They quite literally reintroduced the glaring issue of mismatched hem stripes on their white jersey after the previous set had gotten it right.

• Yawn 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

11 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Sabres goat and the Canucks skate are both evidence of the nostalgia brain rot that plagues pro sports these days. Neither jersey/logo was all that beloved when they got rid of them, aside from being associated with a couple of Cup runs. Now social media loves calling them "classic" or "iconic" without any hint of irony.

Two words: Hasek and Bure.  There's a lot of truth in your post, but in reality, these sweaters probably are a tad iconic just because a couple of the true superstar players that those teams had wore them. I'm sure we will do this all over again in 20 years with the Caps and Ovi which is even worse than the skate or goathead

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

53 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yes - same with the Nordiques logo, which I maintain to this day is not a great logo, people just like it because old. In fact, the Nordiques themselves didn't love it anymore and were one season away from changing it to that Husky logo but the team relocated before they could do it. Some old logos are great, some old logos are just... old.

As for goathead (bison head? Have people ever actually seen a goat? They don't look like that), it's a great alternate. Alternate logos, to me, are judged by different standards and a really excellent Alt could make for a bad primary mark. It's not true in every instance, but I think the Sabres bison head is one of them. Great alternate, it's neat to have the black and red jerseys hit the ice a few times a year and if you're a fan of the logo, isn't it great that it's still around?

Fan shouldn't get greedy and sabotage an entire, solid brand because they want more of an alternate logo that is already seeing plenty of daylight already.

• Like 5

Just now, PlayGloria said:

Two words: Hasek and Bure.  There's a lot of truth in your post, but in reality, these sweaters probably are a tad iconic just because a couple of the true superstar players that those teams had wore them. I'm sure we will do this all over again in 20 years with the Caps and Ovi which is even worse than the skate or goathead

Say what you want about Washington's current set, it at least looks like what the Capitals are supposed to look like. The Canucks & Sabres both deviated from their original colour schemes to chase what was trendy and try to look "tougher", and both have returned to their classic colours since.

17 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Yes - same with the Nordiques logo, which I maintain to this day is not a great logo, people just like it because old. In fact, the Nordiques themselves didn't love it anymore and were one season away from changing it to that Husky logo but the team relocated before they could do it. Some old logos are great, some old logos are just... old.

The igloo was a great example of Canada Modern geometric design. I don't think it could have come out of an American city; the closest thing would be the Trail Blazers' pinwheel. Every idea I've ever had for a Nordiques logo that tries to capture the city's relative ancientness has ended up being less interesting than capturing the 1970s in Canada.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

42 minutes ago, Ricky_Roby said:

As for goathead (bison head? Have people ever actually seen a goat? They don't look like that),

The term "angry goat head" was coined by the late, great Sabres beat reporter Jim Kelley, in an article that was mocking the then-new logo.  Fans latched on to it, and it ended up being the nickname for that logo.  It was never intended to be a positive description.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

They quite literally reintroduced the glaring issue of mismatched hem stripes on their white jersey after the previous set had gotten it right.

Switching out navy blue and grey for royal blue and white  was far more important than any other change they could've made to that jersey. Ideally, the hem stripes would've been fixed, but I don't have that much of a problem with them if royal blue is here to stay.

57 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Say what you want about Washington's current set, it at least looks like what the Capitals are supposed to look like.

Color-wise, sure (I'd like a return to royal blue here as well), but their current design, plain and simple, just does not work in the year 2024. It's holding on for dear life because the Capitals happened to hoist their only Cup in franchise history while wearing it.

• Like 1