2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

For anyone not aware, Bettman did talk about the possibility of returning the Jets 1.0 history to Winnipeg, similar to the Hornets and Charlotte.

Until they moved out of Glendale, the Coyotes did actively honour former Jets players. Will be interesting to see what they do with Shane Doan's #19. He played for both teams, but only had one year in Winnipeg. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

After seeing the leaks, I wasn't completely sold on the Ducks' redesigned logo. After the full rollout, however, I'm starting to turn around on them. The logo looks really nice for the most part. The burnt orange hockey sticks I'm still not a fan of. Always felt that it looked off. Would have loved the original color scheme, but pickers can't be choosers. The orange helmets and pants are misfire. Swap those out with black and it will help with breaking up the head to toes orange.

4 hours ago, Klondyke said:

For anyone not aware, Bettman did talk about the possibility of returning the Jets 1.0 history to Winnipeg, similar to the Hornets and Charlotte.

Until they moved out of Glendale, the Coyotes did actively honour former Jets players. Will be interesting to see what they do with Shane Doan's #19. He played for both teams, but only had one year in Winnipeg. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

One idea that I read on the Coyotes subreddit is that Winnipeg should have their 1.0 history, but if a player played a single game in Arizona, that should stay with the dormant Coyotes. I could get behind that. Sellane, Hawerchuk, etc go to the current Jets, while Khabibulin, Tkachuk, Numminen and Doan stay in AZ. 

And to go back to the notion that Utah should potentially look into bringing the Coyotes brand with them, I think there are a lot of reasons why they shouldn’t. But the main one being, there’s zero chance that the Coyotes don’t eventually return. I know that AM held the exclusivity on that branding, but it’s being returned to the league. The Kachina will be back in the valley, even if it takes 15 years. 

• Dislike 2
  • Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, Thunderbird35 said:

One idea that I read on the Coyotes subreddit is that Winnipeg should have their 1.0 history, but if a player played a single game in Arizona, that should stay with the dormant Coyotes. I could get behind that. Sellane, Hawerchuk, etc go to the current Jets, while Khabibulin, Tkachuk, Numminen and Doan stay in AZ. 

And to go back to the notion that Utah should potentially look into bringing the Coyotes brand with them, I think there are a lot of reasons why they shouldn’t. But the main one being, there’s zero chance that the Coyotes don’t eventually return. I know that AM held the exclusivity on that branding, but it’s being returned to the league. The Kachina will be back in the valley, even if it takes 15 years. 

Is it clear who owns the Coyotes IP? Did it go back to the NHL?

When the Whalers relocated, there was a weird issue where the league actually lost the Whalers IP for a few decades and it was not till recently that the current owner of the Canes bought it back. I believe this was one of the reasons the Canes have never honoured the Whalers retired numbers, which I believe are still in the rafters of the Hartford Civic Center 

A tale of 2 southern California teams:

The Ducks nailed it with their gorgeous all-orange and updated Mighty Ducks era crest. I wanted a return to deep purple and jade teal but the Ducks became NHL uniform pioneers with what they unveiled today.  I can't wait to see the all-orange unis in action next season. The uniform matchups with the Sharks' teals will be awesome to see. Old-school and distinctive. 

The Kings blew it by reverting back to  one particular era in their history, the Gretzky-era. What was the point of their 2 purple/Forum Blue & gold Reverse Retros, then?? As a huge purple and yellow-gold supporter, I would be far more accepting of the black, silver and white with the recoloured classic crown as the main sweater crest and with the use of the striping pattern from last season's 3rd jersey. More metallic silver was used on that sweater.  Overall, the updated Gretzky-era look is just an improvement over the cheapened version from the last decade and a half. Still boring and unimaginative.

This is my personal preference and I recognize that not everyone feels this way, but I think all one color looks in hockey only work with darker colors. Anything lighter than red and the players look goofy. And even the Red Wings all-red has never really been my thing and the only reason it gets a pass from me is because it's old and I'm used to it. 

So I can't get behind the all-orange. I think that's the kind of idea that's fun on paper and in photoshoots, but then in practice, 40 times a year starts to feel silly. The Sharks all-teal look two years in feels unserious and the Ducks are going to do that with orange. My bet is they're wearing black breezers again three years from now. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ducks: Not terrible overall, but again, I just don't like the duck-mask logo. It's too cartoony and childish in my opinion, not that the logo it's replacing was any better of course. The difference in shades of gold between the logo and the striping is REALLY bad and drags down the look a lot. If they wanted shoulder yokes, something similar to their 1997-2000 alternates would have worked better. The new font is nice and the emphasis on orange is an improvement even if it's more derivative of the Flyers.

Kings: It's just the Gretzky uniforms with even less character. The only interesting aspects of the originals were the sleeve numbers being inside the stripes and the road sweaters having silver numbers/NOB from 1988-92, so of course neither of those were done here. As an homage to that era, it's clearly inferior to the 2021 Reverse Retro. Pretty disappointing overall.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

8 hours ago, Klondyke said:

Is it clear who owns the Coyotes IP? Did it go back to the NHL?

When the Whalers relocated, there was a weird issue where the league actually lost the Whalers IP for a few decades and it was not till recently that the current owner of the Canes bought it back. I believe this was one of the reasons the Canes have never honoured the Whalers retired numbers, which I believe are still in the rafters of the Hartford Civic Center 

When Alex Meruelo said that he would no longer attempt to find an arena location and would transfer the Coyotes back to the league within the month, it was reported that all Coyotes IP would then belong to the NHL. He did have the rights to exclusivity, but he could not sell or transfer those rights. If he wasn’t able to meet the deadlines set forth by the league, all Coyotes marks and history would go back to the league and could be used in future expansion.

I think the Hartford situation is something the league learned from. 

I know that this opinion isn’t popular with a lot of fans, but the Coyotes will be back. Probably when the Suns need a new arena, or at least upgrades. The league broke their backs trying to make it work in Phoenix. They aren’t turning their backs on such a big market. 

My thoughts on the updated looks for the Ducks and Kings:

Anaheim Ducks:

PROS:

- Primary logo is a solid update to the 'Might' era

- Secondary mark looks like an early concept from the D duck print logo

- Primary color, I think all orange works for the Ducks (I thought all teal worked for the Sharks, so...)

- Breezer stripes

CONS:

- While I like the striping on the jersey it seems too high on the arm and should be closer to the forearm, if they were trying to replicate the prior jersey stripes from the 'Mighy' era jerseys

- The shoulder yoke on the away jersey could work but given the prior issue I had with the sleeve stripes, makes the design feel congested

- Why are the sleeve stripes matte beige when we know the jersey manufacturer has the fabric to make it dazzle like the embroidery in the logos?

- The collar format and coloring is one the major issues I have had with the Adidas jersey template. It always looks clunky and only looks good IMHO when filled in completely or with the out stripe a different color (the Kings did this too, Urg!)

Other Thoughts:

- I don't mind the name/numbers or the new wordmark

- I think they have kept away from the eggplant and jade color scheme due to being able to sell more jerseys when it comes to throwback/fauxback third jerseys

LA Kings:

PROS:

- Again like the Ducks, the Kings made a solid update to the 'Chevy'/Gretzky era logo

- Dazzle stripes on the jersey

- Double outlined numbers (helps keep the silver from fading on the away jersey)

- Updated crown and secondary mark (would love to see them use this logo on a third jersey)

- Both home and away jerseys now have matching stripes

- Glad they went back to the old name and numbers (never liked prior name and number set)

CONS:

- The collar coloring

Other Thoughts:

- I wish they would have placed the numbers inside the sleeve stripes (it's one of my favorite things about the Gretzky era set

- Jerseys could use a secondary logo on the shoulders

- Don't mind the matte finish helmets

- Personally, I wouldn't mind if they became the third team in California to go fully brighter color with purple (abet a bit darker than Forum Blue) and gold

• Like 1

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

While I can see how the Ducks and Flyers orange matches in those graphics above...

The change from the brighter orange the Flyers previously used is much more noticable. I'm looking at photos and clips the Ducks have posted and from those I couldn't tell you if it was any different to before  😅

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017